DB Meter??

Post your experiences here.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw

Shamrock-MP
Silent But Deadly

DB Meter??

Post by Shamrock-MP »

Is there a reliable DB meter for under $100 for that would be acceptable for amateur suppressor testing? I understand that at this price the reading would be +/- 1.5-2db but those results could still be used to compare host/can/ammo.

I am looking for one but would rather buy another can than spend $500 for professional grade meter.
Form4
Suppressors and Firearms
01 FFL / 03 SOT
(502)671-9799
www.form4.org
Mongo
Silent But Deadly

Re: DB Meter??

Post by Mongo »

nope.

microphones alone are much more than your budget.

If you want to find out how loud your wife or dog is you can buy one for your budget but sound measurement for guns is a high dollar endeavor.
Firearms Engineer for hire on piece work basis.
No job is too expensive :)
http://weaponblueprints.com/
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Shamrock-MP wrote: I am looking for one but would rather buy another can than spend $500 for professional grade meter.
If you can find a professional grade meter for $500 please let me know where and I will buy several. The ones that are capable of testing suppressors cost a couple thousand for all the gear.

-B
PTK
Silent But Deadly

Post by PTK »

I priced them out, looks like it would be $6k+ for the setup I wanted. That went on the back burner quick enough! :lol:
RIP Dave. You will be missed.
Buzduk
Silent But Deadly

Post by Buzduk »

In other words save your money for cans! :D
Matt
Form4
01 FFL / 03 SOT
(631) 721-6201
http://form4.org/
Enfield577
Silent But Deadly

Post by Enfield577 »

Yep its true, before I found this web site I had been using a cheap meter and getting really odd results.

I remember with one baffle variation I could hear it was louder but the meter said quiter.

The guys on here explained that the meter was just not up to the job and they were spot on :D
Of all the things I've lost it's my mind I miss the most
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

My system, mostly used, came to about $2000. I used a new $800 Gras mic, a used piston phone calibrator, and a refurbished 2209 meter from XCaliber Engineering.

Keep in mind, the same broken 2209 meters are passed from owner to owner on eBay for $600. They mostly seem to be DOA. I would recommend getting one from a service center who will check it over and guarantee it works. Yes, it costs more, but not when you factor in the risks of eBay.
ArevaloSOCOM
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by ArevaloSOCOM »

I put together my 2 - 2209's and mics for pennys on the dollar.

The most expensive item was my calibrator, but again, I bought it for about 1/2............and that one extension cord from the meter to the mic, bought one cheap and paid top dollar for the other.

That said, your budget just won't cut it............sorry, but if you surf Ebay and other electronic equip sites, it can be done for a few 100 bucks.......I say this becasue I done it...........it helps that you hate silencer data being treated like a lock box too.......it only motivated me to get the gear.
NFAtalk.org
winsor
Silent But Deadly

Post by winsor »

Quick over view of B&K sound meters model 2209.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPsb2XEegRU
░░ in search ☼f the silence ░░ ִ ִ ִ ִ ִ ִ ִ ִ ִ n☼ hunting , n☼ killing , just plinking ☼ ☼☼
ArevaloSOCOM
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by ArevaloSOCOM »

winsor wrote:Quick over view of B&K sound meters model 2209.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPsb2XEegRU
That's one of our mods talking about my meters.
NFAtalk.org
k31user
Industry Professional

Post by k31user »

Don't forget to factor in the 200-300 dollars per year for calibration and don't loan it out. Guys like to handle the microphone with greasy dirty fingers and it wreaks havoc with them. Clean it the wrong way and your 1500 dollar pencil eraser sized precision instrument is junk
LeftEyeMike
Silent But Deadly

Post by LeftEyeMike »

Acoustics is an even higher dollar game than machine guns.
At my university, we do a lot of architectural and mechanical acoustic testing. The "cheap" field equipment we use is $10,000 , for the mics, cables, meters, recorders, and other instruments. The in lab equipment that is off limits to just about anyone is even more. Thank goodness for grants, and industry sponsorships.

If you have the money to start up, and have the knack, and experience, and education it can be a profitable career.