Anyone seen any Spectre II data yet?

Post your experiences here.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw

dan_h
Silent Operator

Anyone seen any Spectre II data yet?

Post by dan_h »

I already have a stainless sparrow (& am very pleased w/it) but would like to consider the Spectre II for my next can...i'm assuming the FRP would be much better than my sparrow but would like to see someone's data to verify. Has anyone seen any measurements?

thx
dh
John Titsworth
Silent But Deadly

Re: Anyone seen any Spectre II data yet?

Post by John Titsworth »

I don't think they have transferred any to anyone yet so it's doubtful.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

dan_h wrote:I already have a stainless sparrow (& am very pleased w/it) but would like to consider the Spectre II for my next can...i'm assuming the FRP would be much better than my sparrow but would like to see someone's data to verify. Has anyone seen any measurements?

thx
dh
Why do you assume the FRP will be less? Its an odd assumption beyond the fact its a stack versus a monocore.
rockman96
Silent But Deadly

Post by rockman96 »

Bendersquint wrote:
dan_h wrote:I already have a stainless sparrow (& am very pleased w/it) but would like to consider the Spectre II for my next can...i'm assuming the FRP would be much better than my sparrow but would like to see someone's data to verify. Has anyone seen any measurements?

thx
dh
Why do you assume the FRP will be less? Its an odd assumption beyond the fact its a stack versus a monocore.
Why do you assume it won't be? That's an odd assumption given the fact that it already has less FRP, and I doubt they would release an upgraded can that didn't perform at least as good. Or am I missing something?
dan_h
Silent Operator

Post by dan_h »

you 'nailed it' Rockman 96!

Yes, the FRP of the existing Spectre design is less and they claim the Spectre II is 'better'....
cajun 22
Silent But Deadly

Post by cajun 22 »

Lucky Bastard! And I mean that in the nicest way. :D I have an original Spectre and would like to hear what they sound like side by side. I would also like SWR to test an old Spectre that was updated with the new design to see how much of an improvement it would make.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

cajun 22 wrote:Lucky Bastard! And I mean that in the nicest way. :D I have an original Spectre and would like to hear what they sound like side by side. I would also like SWR to test an old Spectre that was updated with the new design to see how much of an improvement it would make.
There would be no sense in that since they said its the same tube just new internals and caps. So Spectre2 performance would be what an upgraded core in a Spectre1 would give you.
redtazdog
Elite Member

Post by redtazdog »

cajun 22 wrote:Lucky Bastard! And I mean that in the nicest way. :D I have an original Spectre and would like to hear what they sound like side by side. I would also like SWR to test an old Spectre that was updated with the new design to see how much of an improvement it would make.
The decent price I got it for was due to the fact that the seller had the auction end at a time when most at at work,
if you want more for your product on a auction always have it end when many people are at home to
bid.
strobro32
Silent But Deadly

Post by strobro32 »

Mine is on the way too. I'm still waiting for Bender to quote me a price for a new knurled mount. :P
If it doesn't splatter, shatter, burst or explode, it's not worth shooting.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

strobro32 wrote:Mine is on the way too. I'm still waiting for Bender to quote me a price for a new knurled mount. :P
Give me a call on Monday.
cajun 22
Silent But Deadly

Post by cajun 22 »

There would be no sense in that since they said its the same tube just new internals and caps. So Spectre2 performance would be what an upgraded core in a Spectre1 would give you.[/quote]

Maybe you know more than me on this issue. A friend went to SHOT and was told by the SWR rep there that they were going to offer an upgrade on the original Spectre to this new baffle design. I did not know it was the same tube with new parts. I only asked to see what info was there to justify them offering this service. It would have to be a dramatic improvement to make it better IMO and worth the cost. I have a Spectre and shot it beside the Sparrow, Element, and still think it's the quietest can. And it has no FRP.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

cajun 22 wrote:There would be no sense in that since they said its the same tube just new internals and caps. So Spectre2 performance would be what an upgraded core in a Spectre1 would give you.
Maybe you know more than me on this issue. A friend went to SHOT and was told by the SWR rep there that they were going to offer an upgrade on the original Spectre to this new baffle design. I did not know it was the same tube with new parts. I only asked to see what info was there to justify them offering this service. It would have to be a dramatic improvement to make it better IMO and worth the cost. I have a Spectre and shot it beside the Sparrow, Element, and still think it's the quietest can. And it has no FRP.[/quote]

I think the biggest improvement/benefit will be that it will be easier to take apart and clean.

If you aren't a high volume shooter then you might not see that benefit.
m3s90
Senior Silent Operator

Post by m3s90 »

I have an original Specter and a Specter 2 on order. Can't have to many great 22 cans
strobro32
Silent But Deadly

Post by strobro32 »

The only reason I'm getting the Spectre II is because my Spectre I was stolen. The Spectre was the best all around can I owned. Its only drawback was that it time consuming to take apart. My Sparrow was awesome too but it did have FRP. That was not an issue when using int on a .22LR SMG. When using a can on a semi auto, the Spectre was better. If I still had the Spectre I would probably not upgrade.

If it means anything I now have the unique chance to start the NFA thing all over again after losing my entire collection. I will not be replacing 90% of what I had but I do want a .22 can. It appears that SWR has improved the only drawback I had with the old Spectre. The new Spectre II is the one I'll be getting.

I just wish that new mount wasn't so fugly. :)
If it doesn't splatter, shatter, burst or explode, it's not worth shooting.
cajun 22
Silent But Deadly

Post by cajun 22 »

Bendersquint
Thanks for your observations. I was thinking that the new internals were somehow going to make it quieter. Now that would be impressive because of how quiet it already is. I looked at the baffle design again and can see now that the crud has no way to contact the tube. A concept other manufacturers have already put to market and made big waves with. My hat is off to SWR for making improvements to benefit the shooter. That said, I don't own any full auto so cleaning is not a problem. After a few bricks I just dip it whole for a day or two and it comes right apart.

Good luck to all the ones waiting on the new ones.