Why are 22. LR cans SO small?

Post your experiences here.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw

zreed042
Silent Operator

Why are 22. LR cans SO small?

Post by zreed042 »

To be honest, I've never really had any first-hand experience with commercial cans, though I've used a couple Form 1 cans now and then. I was at Impact Guns the other day and was blown away by how tiny the 22 Sparrow and (I think) the YHM Mite cans were. I'm no engineer or physicist, but wouldn't making the cans a little bit bigger help suppression levels? I mean, I always thought that the general rule of thumb was "the more volume the better." Is there a point of diminishing returns with a 22. LR suppressor in terms of volume? I mean, I wouldn't mind a substantially larger can if it were to be quieter.
The three S's of gun ownership in the liberal US: Shoot, Shovel, and Shut up.

"Screw the animals, they had just as long to evolve and invent rifles as we did, but the didn't...we win!"
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Re: Why are 22. LR cans SO small?

Post by doubloon »

Because they don't need to be any bigger.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
kalikraven
Elite Member

Post by kalikraven »

Spikes Tactifcal use to either make or market a larger diameter rimfire can...
Going a little more discrete here due to some of my opinions...
SuperChuck
Senior Silent Operator

Post by SuperChuck »

Thompson Machine has a CHD model that is beefier, made to mount under the handguard and look more proportional to the rifle.

I think its 1.5" diameter, and 7" long. I have one ordered now, and will be able to give my impression in about 7-8 months, I guess...LOL

SC
Sigproshooter
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sigproshooter »

Well,, because the cartridge is SO small I would venture
Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys; look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death.
Sun Tzu
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

zreed042 wrote:To be honest, I've never really had any first-hand experience with commercial cans, though I've used a couple Form 1 cans now and then. I was at Impact Guns the other day and was blown away by how tiny the 22 Sparrow and (I think) the YHM Mite cans were. I'm no engineer or physicist, but wouldn't making the cans a little bit bigger help suppression levels? I mean, I always thought that the general rule of thumb was "the more volume the better." Is there a point of diminishing returns with a 22. LR suppressor in terms of volume? I mean, I wouldn't mind a substantially larger can if it were to be quieter.
Please go to a YouTube presentation by the estimable Member on this site
and you will see that your intuition is correct. Get approved by ATF and
then build your own "... things are always bigger in Texas" can. :)

<< http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GbjXvH7 ... re=related >>

The joy of Silence! :).
Wahnsinn
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wahnsinn »

Isn't there something about the larger volume creating a louder FRP? Not necessarily noticed on other caliber cans because the shot itself is so loud, but on a 22 can it will be more noticeable?
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

Wahnsinn wrote:Isn't there something about the larger volume creating a louder FRP? Not necessarily noticed on other caliber cans because the shot itself is so loud, but on a 22 can it will be more noticeable?
In my (useless) opinion, the larger volume doesn't lead to a louder FRP exactly... its a larger first chamber.

In answer to the OP's question, its because the volume of the can is the third most important feature. The first two features are baffle design.... and baffle number. I don't remember which is most important, but I guess that its baffle design.

A different thread a long time ago questioned this same thing, and it was explained that making the can longer and adding baffles leads to decreasing returns very quickly... that the difference between a 16 count baffle stack and a 15 count baffle stack is not meaningful... but that the difference between 3 and 4 baffles is quite significant. That same relationship exists with regards to volume.
LavaRed
Silent But Deadly

Post by LavaRed »

I once made a modular tubeless .22LR suppressor where you could simply keep adding or subtracting baffles to whatever length you desired. Basically I found out that after 11" of length it didn't sound significantly quieter. There was a significant difference from 6" to 8", but that difference could be easily replicated in a 5.5" monocore suppressor of better design. I think with good baffle design it gets to the point that after 5.5" long and 1" OD, the ejection port noise is 95% of the noise component you hear.
"There are no stupid questions, only stupid people". -MAJ MALFUNCTION
BretJ
Silent Operator

Post by BretJ »

Picked up my CHD a few weeks ago and am extremely happy with it. No difference between it and an Outback in my opinion. For what it is worth, I dig the look of an old 70s style can on the end of my FVSR. (Will post pics when I can grab the camera) Building a 6" .22 upper for my SBR. Figure the can will look even better recessed in 7" hand guards...
"The opposite of hero is not villain. It is bystander."

"In doing what we ought we deserve no praise, because it is our duty."
Saint Aurelius Augustine

Bret
ghostdog662
Silent But Deadly

Post by ghostdog662 »

The main thing is they do not need to be wider. Added weight, added material and added length are not what people are looking for and it is still perfectly safe.

The loudest host of course is the pistol and 6 well designed baffles will get it nice and quiet. After that the benefit curve falls dramatically.
LP
hertz654

Post by hertz654 »

I used to wonder the same thing and came to the conclusion they are made small enough in diameter so as not to block out the sight picture when used on a 22lr pistol.
garandman
Silent But Deadly

Post by garandman »

hertz654 wrote:I used to wonder the same thing and came to the conclusion they are made small enough in diameter so as not to block out the sight picture when used on a 22lr pistol.

This ^

More volume HAS to be better. But bigger diameter would make the can a rifle only can, limiting marketability.
Late to the NFA party, but makin' up for lost time....