silencertalk
Site Admin

Please note that we updated our testing method:

Post by silencertalk »

PCArms
Silent But Deadly

Vegas or Sound Forge HELP

Post by PCArms »

How do you get RAW data out of Vegas or Sound Forge.
You probable told me before, just can't find it now.
Too many options!!!!!!

Once I get that, Excel shouldn't be a problem.
Pat
www.ORL-LLC.com
OregonResearchLabs, LLC
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

I loaded the waveform into Vegas and then I stretch the display to make it easier to see (make it the full height of the monitor).

Then I drag the selection tool over the gunshot I am interested it. Then I push play and watch the VU meters. They will show a dBu number. Right click on the VU meter and make sure 'hold peaks' is on. Subtract the value of a suppressed shot from an unsuppressed shot to get the net reduction. Actually do 10 shot averages.
PCArms
Silent But Deadly

Post by PCArms »

Thanks,
Ha, I right clicked on EVERYTHING but the UV meter!

Then I should be able to do the same thing with the calibrator, to get a true 114dB and dump that into Excel as well, correct?
Pat
www.ORL-LLC.com
OregonResearchLabs, LLC
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

If you have a calibrator record some of it in the .wav file and offset everything from the value you know that to be. A 124 dB calibrator will be easier to see because it is closer to the level of a suppressed shot but either should work.
locolife

Post by locolife »

Are you going to redo all the prior tests? Looks like the MIL-STD-1474D standard tests yielded quite different results than the previous protocol you were using.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

Actually the mil-standard meter matched my previous tests very closely, validating my previous equipment.

That being said, this was only the case when the new meter was, as expected, on the 'unweigted' setting. I saw results often about 0.4 dB apart.

So the earlier results are perfectly valid -- but just unweighted rather than A-weighted. What that exactly means is something I have come to learn and then really understand over the weeks. Knowing what I know about those numbers, I am happy to leave them up.

But when I get, for example, a new .22 or .223 can to test -- I will test it aloneside many of the common models. I will not have every model from before but will likely have most of the better ones.