Spike's tactical compressor suppressed sbr

Post your experiences here.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw

Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: Spike's tactical compressor suppressed sbr

Post by Bendersquint »

Skyking wrote:All,

I ordered two of these rifles in August 2012 and have received no updates. Ditto my dealer. Has anyone actually taken possession of one? If so, when did you order and when did your dealer take possession?

Thanks,

Phil
I am not aware of any that have actually gone to a dealer or end user.
Sdustin
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sdustin »

I saw the newest compressor in the new 300blk edition of the book of the ar15, I have to saw it looks pretty freaking sweet. I know spikes has "That customer" but this thing really looks like it took a lot of work. I mean the gas tube however gimmick it is looks like a good idea. Also it says in the article that it's states that ops 12th will work I don't know if ops makes that can in .30 cal but if they do it would be very worth while to me. Use the spikes can to keep it short and with subs since that's easier to silence. I really like this thing and the 2600 price tag seems fair good even I mean think about it it's a 700 dollar can then s fully ambi billiet lower and upper. Then they wrap the gas tube with copper tube to act as a heat sink gimmick? Maybe but different and took some thought. Anyone can just build an at put a pistol length barrel and a can and call it original, but they have made this thing their own and I like it. It stands out IMO as an original new weapon in a see of the same old ARs. Like spikes or hate them doesn't matter this thing is awesome and you have to admit it looks awesome and that could have made it a three stamp gun and made it the closest thing to a honey badger we would get. I'd still like to see some real numbers to make some decisions but I'd think with the .300blk ability to sound like rat farts with a half way decent can and subs I think the numbers for subs would be ok.

Like I said the price seems fine to me, I paid 950 for my 9"AAC upper alone. Add another 900 for the lower and then the can 2600 MSRP seems like a fine deal to me. And I'm sure street price would be s great deal lower if the panic buying ever ends and I can actualy save the money befor I build That next gun (precision .308 bolt action) I'll be trying for it. If the numbers are ok.
When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns
Skyking

Post by Skyking »

After making my original post I found a thread on another forum where Spike's personnel actually participate. Lots of pictures and updates on what I learned there was it is a scratch built gun, designed and/or refined from the ground up. They shipped a few in December and went to town on production and shipping after return from the SHOT Show. Mine are looking to be shipped to my FFL/SOT in about two more months. Their backlog must be huge, as I understand it some people have been waiting upwards of two years. Clearly it has a lot of appeal and when I ordered my two I did not know it was in the R&D refinement stage, I thought it was a production gun then. It is now and they claim they have the capacity to crank a bunch of them out and so they'll hopefully do so. As an aside, I just got a stamp for another item last Saturday, seven months to the day since submission.

Regards,

Phil
strobro32
Silent But Deadly

Post by strobro32 »

I did something similar for the same purpose with a DD SBR lower, 300 BLK Noveske upper and a custom Liberty can. It was much cheaper, better looking and faster. I don't plink with it so the cost of ammo doesn't get me down.

If it doesn't splatter, shatter, burst or explode, it's not worth shooting.
Sdustin
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sdustin »

In the book of ar15 they say they can crank out 250-500 a day. Also their upper and lower a matched billiet and the bolt carrier is ball milled looks cool. The upper is "ported" dont know how they did that but sound cool. The barrel has a lot of thought into it in the cooling fins also the gas block has cooling fins. They say they all add up to help keep it cooler. I'm sorry but in IMO this is one of the coolest factory SBRs ever made. Really would like to see know some Db numbers though.
Sdustin
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sdustin »

Oh yea and it's designed from the ground up. Fully ambi. Ambi safety, mag relese,and bolt relese. If it's gearing safe with supersonic it's a total winner IMO.
Sdustin
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sdustin »

strobro32 wrote:I did something similar for the same purpose with a DD SBR lower, 300 BLK Noveske upper and a custom Liberty can. It was much cheaper, better looking and faster. I don't plink with it so the cost of ammo doesn't get me down.

I have to respectfully disagree with the better looking commet.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Sdustin wrote:
strobro32 wrote:I did something similar for the same purpose with a DD SBR lower, 300 BLK Noveske upper and a custom Liberty can. It was much cheaper, better looking and faster. I don't plink with it so the cost of ammo doesn't get me down.

It will no doubt outperform the Spikes though. Better design, more volume, realistic claims.
Skyking

Post by Skyking »

Bendersquint,

When you say "realistic claims" are you accusing Spike's of making fraudulent claims with respect to this specific make and model of firearm? :shock: Have you got any empirical data to back that up? :? With several thousand dollars committed to two of them I would sure like to know where that came from. :?: When I read comments back and forth about opinion based issues such as appearance, I understand that. Your statement sounds like an accusation of fraud to me and with the number of posts you have made that further piques my curiosity. :( Please let me know specifically what drove that comment and if you have some way of backing it up?

Thanks,

Phil
Sdustin
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sdustin »

Bendersquint wrote:
Sdustin wrote:

It will no doubt outperform the Spikes though. Better design, more volume, realistic claims.

Yea at 6"+ longer I'd hope it sound better. But like I said if the spikes is hearing safe with super sonic it's a clear winner at how short it is. To deny that is just being in denial. I mean a weapon that short in 300 blk with subs if the can performs well then it's a clear winner winner chicken dinner. Also if you bought this weapon and then later got a .30 cal ops can it would increse the overall length with reduce the sound theres always a trade and if you understand that then this thing would be awesome. I never saw the numbers that were clearly false but that is bad Buniness but hey sometimes you Gota wish big right.
strobro32
Silent But Deadly

Post by strobro32 »

I don't think Bender is saying Spikes is being fraudulent. He is saying Spikes must not be using the same industry standard equipment and testing methods. Spikes claims are so far from other proven manufacturers data, they exceed the known physics. This implies Spikes is either uninformed or incompetent in testing their suppressors.
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Post by JasonM »

Skyking wrote:Bendersquint,

When you say "realistic claims" are you accusing Spike's of making fraudulent claims with respect to this specific make and model of firearm? :shock: Have you got any empirical data to back that up? :? With several thousand dollars committed to two of them I would sure like to know where that came from. :?: When I read comments back and forth about opinion based issues such as appearance, I understand that. Your statement sounds like an accusation of fraud to me and with the number of posts you have made that further piques my curiosity. :( Please let me know specifically what drove that comment and if you have some way of backing it up?

Thanks,

Phil

I'm not answering for Bender, but you clearly have not seen the [ridiculous] sound numbers Spike's has put out in the past for their cans.
Kick Ass Design
ten:pm media
www.facebook.com/VisualGravy
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

^ Nailed it!
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Skyking wrote:Bendersquint,

Thanks,

Phil
Strobo, Jason and Vette got it right.

The short story is that the claims they had were so ridiculous that it made integrally suppressed bolt action .22lr rifles appear loud.

With their claims if they were accurate they could have sold the technology for whatever they wanted(10 million to start) and it would have gladly been paid as they were able to defeat physics in a mini short barreled platform.

When they were called on their performance specs they retracted all data and haven't commented on it since.

THAT..........is my basis. :wink:
k31user
Industry Professional

Post by k31user »

Haters! Just because you can't make a supersonic 7.5" 5.56 quieter than a mouse fart underwater doesn't mean Spikes can't.
It's just a matter of matching the Baffle Sequence(or BS) to the suppressor length. Once you get the BS right, anythings possible.
strobro32
Silent But Deadly

Post by strobro32 »

What was the name of that river in Egypt?
Sdustin
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sdustin »

They may have Fucked up when they posted numbers that were so far off they couldn't have been true but this thing looks awesome. It has some great features and if it is hearing safe with supersonic hell even just hearing safe with subs in 300 blk it's a sweet weapon. And the cost isn't that bad either compared to what you get. Billet upper matched with lower. Fully ambi controls. Heavily engineered barrel full of fins and a gas tube wrapped in heat wicking copper beryuim, and a free floated barrel. Correct bcg and bolt. I mean this thing is a work of art. And if you want to trade size for suppression get the bigger .30 cal reflex can from ops. I think spikes should offer that as a option for peoplemore concerned with sound. That would show some honesty.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Sdustin wrote:They may have Fucked up when they posted numbers that were so far off they couldn't have been true but this thing looks awesome. It has some great features and if it is hearing safe with supersonic hell even just hearing safe with subs in 300 blk it's a sweet weapon. And the cost isn't that bad either compared to what you get. Billet upper matched with lower. Fully ambi controls. Heavily engineered barrel full of fins and a gas tube wrapped in heat wicking copper beryuim, and a free floated barrel. Correct bcg and bolt. I mean this thing is a work of art. And if you want to trade size for suppression get the bigger .30 cal reflex can from ops. I think spikes should offer that as a option for peoplemore concerned with sound. That would show some honesty.
I am almost willing to put a wager on it that it isn't hearing safe for supersonic.
Sdustin
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sdustin »

I'll bet your right bender but like I said if it is atleast with subs that's a pretty good achievement. And they should offer the bigger .30 ops can as an option.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Sdustin wrote:I'll bet your right bender but like I said if it is atleast with subs that's a pretty good achievement. And they should offer the bigger .30 ops can as an option.
Why not get the rifle like you want, and then use the can on a 22lr and get the ops can for 300?

I am thinking not hearing safe for subs either, they are louder than you think. Awful small can, but I may be wrong and maybe they designed a miracle.
Sdustin
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sdustin »

all im saying is the rifle is pretty cool and small
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Sdustin wrote:all im saying is the rifle is pretty cool and small
agreed, it has an appealing look and is small.
jaredr
Silent But Deadly

Post by jaredr »

Sdustin wrote:It has some great features and if it is hearing safe with supersonic hell
no disrespect but unless you're already deaf, nothing is hearing safe with supersonic projectiles. the ringing in your ears from the crack of supersonic ammo is hearing damage.
bob332
Silent But Deadly

Post by bob332 »

does spike's even make their own stuff? or do they use the marking variance biz model?

what were the spl #s they were posting?
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

bob332 wrote:does spike's even make their own stuff? or do they use the marking variance biz model?

what were the spl #s they were posting?
I was told by a guy there that they don't make their own stuff.

The SPL they posted aren't even repeatable, they were so bogus that if they were real all the other manufacturers in the world would have instantly filed bankruptcy.