Spike's tactical compressor suppressed sbr

Post your experiences here.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw

dan9591
Silent But Deadly

Spike's tactical compressor suppressed sbr

Post by dan9591 »

I was at a local shop todlooting pick up a simple scout rifle and we got to talking about spike's tactical compressor suppressed sbr: http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/st- ... p-491.html

Ive made peace with the fact that it will be at least a full year before I put my hands on it, but I have been lusting over it long enough... I think I may take the plunge, but have been hard pressed to find much information about it. I know it's available in 5.56 and 300blk, but I am mainly interested in the 5.56 simply because I don't want to stock another caliber.

Are the balistics any good or does the short barrel kill it completely? What ammo should I feed this thing? I am sure that even with the suppressor this thing is hellishly loud, but spike's hasn't put up any testing data and I can't find any metering on it. Anyone here tried it out or heard it live?

I know this is a ridiculous purchase, but it's either this or something else, so it may as well be this!
ScottNC
Silent Operator

Re: Spike's tactical compressor suppressed sbr

Post by ScottNC »

It's a great looking gun as most of Spikes Stuff, I think that barrel length is better suited for 300 but I don't guess you're planning on long range shooting with it. It's a lot of bucks considering your can't use the suppressor on something else.
dan9591
Silent But Deadly

Post by dan9591 »

It's going to end up being my HD gun, but will likely see a good amount of range/class use. I HIGHLY doubt I'll be making 100 yard shots with this... Probably nothing past even 25 yards.

If it fills the intended role as a HD gun, I couldn’t imagine running this 8.1” barrel without a suppressor, so I don’t have any intentions of ever removing it anyways. That being the case, $2600 isn’t too bad. Figure a good quality SBR and a separate suppressor and $2600 is within reason…

The ammo is my only issue. I have to assume that since they made it in 5.56 there has to be a good round for it that won’t just be a hot 22. Any ideas what that could be?

I would really like to avoid keeping another caliber around…
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Post by JasonM »

dan9591 wrote:It's going to end up being my HD gun, but will likely see a good amount of range/class use. I HIGHLY doubt I'll be making 100 yard shots with this... Probably nothing past even 25 yards.

If it fills the intended role as a HD gun, I couldn’t imagine running this 8.1” barrel without a suppressor, so I don’t have any intentions of ever removing it anyways. That being the case, $2600 isn’t too bad. Figure a good quality SBR and a separate suppressor and $2600 is within reason…

The ammo is my only issue. I have to assume that since they made it in 5.56 there has to be a good round for it that won’t just be a hot 22. Any ideas what that could be?

Barrel length has nothing to do with accuracy. You will be able to make range hits way out depending on your skill.

Terminal effects are another thing.. Like you said, 5.56 suffers in short barrels. You can offset this to a point by using some modern topshelf ammo- particularly the Barnes 50gr TSX load from Black Hills.

And, since you asked for thoughts and opinions, here's mine- And yes, your mileage will vary...

Like almost everything else "Spike's", this gun is super Mall Ninja.

The sound claims they originally made on these cans were outrageous.
It's full of doodads and coatings that don't add anything other than buzzwords to the product.

I also have found rifle cans inside handguards to be incredibly impractical- the heat generated from even moderate firing is too much. It is 90% for looks.

For the same money or actually less, you could get a factory DD MK18, BCM, a Noveske 10", a Colt 10 or 11", PLUS a quality suppressor like a SF 212 or MINI, or AAC M4-2000 or MINI4.

The longer barrel extends the effective terminal range of the 5.56 round.

Of course, it won't have scary spider logos or threatening pokey things in the front, but you get a known quality, reliable gun and can from some of the best manufacturers out there.

And, that all said, it's your money, spend it however you want.
Kick Ass Design
ten:pm media
www.facebook.com/VisualGravy
dan9591
Silent But Deadly

Post by dan9591 »

Thanks for the reply!

Just as you pointed out, I’m not concerned about accuracy, rather terminal effects.

I can’t seem to find too many reviews on this rifle, except those regarding the ridiculous suppressed numbers. I agree that there is no way they are able to suppress that well. If it’s good enough to just take the edge off and not kill my hearing if used indoors, then I will be OK. I am not looking for 22 quiet…

I also agree that the spider crap and extra gizmos are useless junk and would rather not have it.

I have a 10.5” PWS SBR along with a YHM titanium phantom pending on a form 4. The difference between my pending setup and the spike’s will be about 6”, a rather significant difference in length.

I bought that combination for light weight and because I couldn’t find a company that would warranty their suppressor for barrels less than 10.5”.

That being said, I emailed spikes’ and they will warranty the suppressor down to 7” barrels. So, second option would be to buy a 7”SBR like this one: http://primaryweapons.com/store/pc/view ... ategory=32 and add spike’s suppressor: http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/sup ... p-786.html

Very similar end results, without the mall ninja aspect.

Which still brings me back to the original question… anyone held, seen or heard the spike’s rifle or suppressor?

Am I just running around in circles or is this a worthwhile venture?

Also, I have done a few mag dumps on a friend’s rifle with very low profile manta rails. They worked really well in not transferring heat. Not a perfect solution, but it helps. Either way, I don’t own a FA lower and don’t really do the mag dump thing too often.

If I rule out spike’s entirely, are there any decent mini suppressors that will work well with a 7-8” barrel? Again, not expecting Hollywood quiet, just enough to not kill my hearing if used indoors.
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Post by JasonM »

Look at the OPS Inc M4S
Kick Ass Design
dan9591
Silent But Deadly

Post by dan9591 »

JasonM wrote:Look at the OPS Inc M4S
Almost… BUT… I called Stacey at PWS and he advised me that there are cycling issues with the M4-S. He suggested instead this one: http://www.deltapdesign.com/suppressors ... suppressor.

It won’t fit under the handguard like I was hoping, but at 3.8” length I think it’s reasonable.

What do you think?
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

dan9591 wrote:Thanks for the reply!

Just as you pointed out, I’m not concerned about accuracy, rather terminal effects.

I can’t seem to find too many reviews on this rifle, except those regarding the ridiculous suppressed numbers. I agree that there is no way they are able to suppress that well. If it’s good enough to just take the edge off and not kill my hearing if used indoors, then I will be OK. I am not looking for 22 quiet…

I also agree that the spider crap and extra gizmos are useless junk and would rather not have it.

I have a 10.5” PWS SBR along with a YHM titanium phantom pending on a form 4. The difference between my pending setup and the spike’s will be about 6”, a rather significant difference in length.

I bought that combination for light weight and because I couldn’t find a company that would warranty their suppressor for barrels less than 10.5”.

That being said, I emailed spikes’ and they will warranty the suppressor down to 7” barrels. So, second option would be to buy a 7”SBR like this one: http://primaryweapons.com/store/pc/view ... ategory=32 and add spike’s suppressor: http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/sup ... p-786.html

Very similar end results, without the mall ninja aspect.

Which still brings me back to the original question… anyone held, seen or heard the spike’s rifle or suppressor?

Am I just running around in circles or is this a worthwhile venture?

Also, I have done a few mag dumps on a friend’s rifle with very low profile manta rails. They worked really well in not transferring heat. Not a perfect solution, but it helps. Either way, I don’t own a FA lower and don’t really do the mag dump thing too often.

If I rule out spike’s entirely, are there any decent mini suppressors that will work well with a 7-8” barrel? Again, not expecting Hollywood quiet, just enough to not kill my hearing if used indoors.
We can do a custom can that would be cheaper than the Spikes that would work on a 7". Its going to be brutal on the baffles regardless the maker or material, wouldn't be a silencer but would

Like Jason said the original numbers they posted would blow away a 24" barrel with the best silencer in the world on it! They were pretty generous with the dB reduction numbers! NOONE bought those numbers either.
dan9591
Silent But Deadly

Post by dan9591 »

Bendersquint wrote:We can do a custom can that would be cheaper than the Spikes that would work on a 7". Its going to be brutal on the baffles regardless the maker or material, wouldn't be a silencer but would

Like Jason said the original numbers they posted would blow away a 24" barrel with the best silencer in the world on it! They were pretty generous with the dB reduction numbers! NOONE bought those numbers either.
Actually, Matt, the reason I went to the shop was to pick us the scout rifle that I wanted you to build an integral suppressor for!

While I was there they showed me a dark horse integrally suppressed 308. I bought is. Sorry…

I also just heard back from Daniel at OPS. Here is what he said:

Unfortunately we do not warranty our uppressors on barrels shorter than 10.5" The reason for this is that there is so much unburned powder with the 5.56 that the powder becomes a particle blaster and wil begin to cut through the blast baffle. This is an issue with any suppressor out there, not just ours, I just like to warn people before they spend money on a suppressor and $200 tax stamp. The only benefit with our suppressor is that ours is used with a muzzle brake and the end of that muzzle brake will eat the majority of the blast. This lets you replace the brake before the suppressor, but you will still eventually run into the unburned powder issue at some point. Sorry for the bad news, I just don't you to waste your money on a tax stamp and be dissapointed in the long run. If you need more information on the subject feel free to ask and I'll do what I can to get you set.
Daniel

This obviously concerns me… I gotta research this a bit more before I take the plunge…

Thanks guys, I greatly appreciate the input!
jhargiss1

Post by jhargiss1 »

I paid in full for my Spikes Compressor June 1 2011! They are telling me another 6 months minimum and then the wait for the stamps! I love Spikes but come on!
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

JasonM wrote:
dan9591 wrote:It's going to end up being my HD gun, but will likely see a good amount of range/class use. I HIGHLY doubt I'll be making 100 yard shots with this... Probably nothing past even 25 yards.

Barrel length has nothing to do with accuracy. You will be able to make range hits way out depending on your skill.

Terminal effects are another thing.. Like you said, 5.56 suffers in short barrels. You can offset this to a point by using some modern topshelf ammo- particularly the Barnes 50gr TSX load from Black Hills.

And, since you asked for thoughts and opinions, here's mine- And yes, your mileage will vary...

Like almost everything else "Spike's", this gun is super Mall Ninja.

The sound claims they originally made on these cans were outrageous.
It's full of doodads and coatings that don't add anything other than buzzwords to? the product.

I also have found rifle cans inside handguards to be incredibly impractical- the heat generated from even moderate firing is too much. It is 90% for looks.

For the same money or actually less, you could get a factory DD MK18, BCM, a Noveske 10", a Colt 10 or 11", PLUS a quality suppressor like a SF 212 or MINI, or AAC M4-2000 or MINI4.

The longer barrel extends the effective terminal range of the 5.56 round.

Of course, it won't have scary spider logos or threatening pokey things in the front, but you get a known quality, reliable gun and can from some of the best manufacturers out there.

And, that all said, it's your money, spend it however you want.

Too bad Spikes gets labeled with "mall ninja " just because they will do markings people's ask for. Try getting colt to even make a mid length! :roll: ( stuck in the 80's ) the Spike standard ARs can do anything ( with mil specs ) that the others you listed but for much less! Some of thier barrels are HF DD or Walther. Best warranty too. (life time)

Spider is no more evil than girls pony or bushmaster snake.

Now that said, their suppressor is un proven and that rifle seems pricy . However so are the above brands and AAC wants $900 just for uppers!
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
everyusernametaken
Senior Silent Operator

Post by everyusernametaken »

The specs listed for that spikes suppressor are pretty lame, and not just the dB numbers. They list the baffle stack material as "proprietary high temperature alloy" - when comparing to other companies' products, for which the specific materials are often given, it seems like the material spike is using is not being disclosed because it wouldn't compare favorably. Doesn't make much sense that the body is made from bar stock, either - that must be a mistake in the specs, pretty careless if that is the case. Doesn't look all that well-made from their photos, to be honest.

I agree on spikes being "mall ninja" garbage. Come on, they actually sell fake suppressors! It's sadly ironic that they're now trying to sell an actual suppressor. Skip their "suppressor" and choose something worthwhile.
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Post by JasonM »

everyusernametaken wrote:The specs listed for that spikes suppressor are pretty lame, and not just the dB numbers. They list the baffle stack material as "proprietary high temperature alloy" - when comparing to other companies' products, for which the specific materials are often given, it seems like the material spike is using is not being disclosed because it wouldn't compare favorably. Doesn't make much sense that the body is made from bar stock, either - that must be a mistake in the specs, pretty careless if that is the case. Doesn't look all that well-made from their photos, to be honest.

I agree on spikes being "mall ninja" garbage. Come on, they actually sell fake suppressors! It's sadly ironic that they're now trying to sell an actual suppressor. Skip their "suppressor" and choose something worthwhile.

I do want to clarify a bit-

"Proprietary Alloy" does not automatically mean not good... For example, that's what Silencerco lists as the baffle material for the Saker.

And, lots of what spike's sells is high-quality. When they started out, it wasn't always the case. Their are a good amount of styling choices that (to me) take away from the quality-image wise. Like Emilio said, they are making things that people want, good or bad.
Kick Ass Design
1mile50
Silent Operator

Post by 1mile50 »

dan9591 wrote:I was at a local shop todlooting pick up a simple scout rifle and we got to talking about spike's tactical compressor suppressed sbr: http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/st- ... p-491.html

Ive made peace with the fact that it will be at least a full year before I put my hands on it, but I have been lusting over it long enough... I think I may take the plunge, but have been hard pressed to find much information about it. I know it's available in 5.56 and 300blk, but I am mainly interested in the 5.56 simply because I don't want to stock another caliber.

Are the balistics any good or does the short barrel kill it completely? What ammo should I feed this thing? I am sure that even with the suppressor this thing is hellishly loud, but spike's hasn't put up any testing data and I can't find any metering on it. Anyone here tried it out or heard it live?

I know this is a ridiculous purchase, but it's either this or something else, so it may as well be this!
For the SBR upper, get a 300 BLK and don't look back. http://libertycans.net/leonidas.html I had my upper done, option 3. Mine is done as a SBR upper, can is removable. SS core, titanium tube. I should be able to pick it up by end of this year. I plan on adding an offset mount with a VFG to beat the heat.

http://www.krebscustom.com/PartsPages/K ... arts.shtml
See: KREBS CUSTOM FORE-END GRIP ADAPTER
&
TANGO DOWN "SHORT" QUICK DETACHABLE VERTICAL FORE-GRIP

Very nice, I run these on on of my S-12s
everyusernametaken
Senior Silent Operator

Post by everyusernametaken »

JasonM wrote:
everyusernametaken wrote:The specs listed for that spikes suppressor are pretty lame, and not just the dB numbers. They list the baffle stack material as "proprietary high temperature alloy" - when comparing to other companies' products, for which the specific materials are often given, it seems like the material spike is using is not being disclosed because it wouldn't compare favorably. Doesn't make much sense that the body is made from bar stock, either - that must be a mistake in the specs, pretty careless if that is the case. Doesn't look all that well-made from their photos, to be honest.

"Proprietary Alloy" does not automatically mean not good... For example, that's what Silencerco lists as the baffle material for the Saker.

And, lots of what spike's sells is high-quality. When they started out, it wasn't always the case. Their are a good amount of styling choices that (to me) take away from the quality-image wise. Like Emilio said, they are making things that people want, good or bad.
Yes, but there's a much greater chance that Silencerco's "proprietary alloy" is genuinely proprietary than there is that spike's is not some cheap, run-of-the-mill material that they are simply using sleazy marketing tactics to promote as something better than it really is. Given their lack of a proven track record producing real suppressors (and even moreso because of the ridiculous, play-time garbage that they DO sell), they need to provide some credible information to back their claims on this suppressor. The fact that they put forward clearly-misleading SPL figures from the get-go leads me to believe that there is nothing worthwhile in their catalog.
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Post by JasonM »

everyusernametaken wrote:
JasonM wrote:

Yes, but there's a much greater chance that Silencerco's "proprietary alloy" is genuinely proprietary than there is that spike's is not some cheap, run-of-the-mill material that they are simply using sleazy marketing tactics to promote as something better than it really is. Given their lack of a proven track record producing real suppressors (and even moreso because of the ridiculous, play-time garbage that they DO sell), they need to provide some credible information to back their claims on this suppressor. The fact that they put forward clearly-misleading SPL figures from the get-go leads me to believe that there is nothing worthwhile in their catalog.

Agreed, just want to say that unknown isn't always bad. Personally, I wouldn't run out and buy a spike's can. There are so many proven good choices available.

The other thing i tend to believe is that the cans do not perform well- they posted outrageous dB claims, what, a year ago? They let those numbers ride on arfcom until seriously called on them, then they retracted them in order to do "more testing". Their site still says awaiting testing... If a company is serious, they would find a resource with a proper meter in a lot less than a year and correct their own misinformation.
Kick Ass Design
ACKF
Silent Operator

Post by ACKF »

Its all about business guys. I know Mike and many of his people personally. The gimmicks sell to those who do not do their homework. It is not about real numbers, performance, or testing, IT IS about sales. I could give you a history lesson on spikes but I will let you folks decide for yourself based on published facts and not BS postings. Spikes pays a lot of money to arfcom in order to have his following there and again, it is about sales. I believe the OP here could do much better with a different set up and as for the other manufacturers being upfront and honest about their cans on SBR's, honesty goes a long way in my book.
I have built many cans in the past and still building now, what I know is a lot of research goes into each one that we build. Most of the big names have the market and I / we, do not intend to compete with them. I would rather build something different that the big guys can't necessarily put the time and R&D money into such as our bolt action suppressed 300.
dan9591
Silent But Deadly

Post by dan9591 »

I think I've given up on this venture...

It's not even just spike's mall ninja perception... I jus't don't think the 5.56 is a suitable round for such an application.

I am trying to keep the calibers I stock to a minimum, so I did not want to add 300ACC to the mix.

I may just go with a (sigh) pistol caliber like an MP5 clone...

Thanks for the input, guys!
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

dan9591 wrote:I think I've given up on this venture...

It's not even just spike's mall ninja perception... I jus't don't think the 5.56 is a suitable round for such an application.

I am trying to keep the calibers I stock to a minimum, so I did not want to add 300ACC to the mix.

I may just go with a (sigh) pistol caliber like an MP5 clone...

Thanks for the input, guys!
MP5 is nothing to sigh about, mine run like a raped ape and are alot cheaper to shoot than 5.56 as well!
bitfi3nd
Senior Silent Operator

Post by bitfi3nd »

I hate to say this, because I'm not a fan of the dueling penises marque, but I like the look of that rail, and I even think the dimpled tube is kinda cool.

The end cap on that thing is severely differently-abled though.
tsands974
Silent But Deadly

Post by tsands974 »

I absolutely love my MP5 clone sbr (Bobcat BW5). It runs through 115 and 147 grain like a champ; it's one of my favorite guns to shoot that I own.
dan9591
Silent But Deadly

Post by dan9591 »

tsands974 wrote:I absolutely love my MP5 clone sbr (Bobcat BW5). It runs through 115 and 147 grain like a champ; it's one of my favorite guns to shoot that I own.
Besides the bobcat, what's a good semi-auto MP5K clone?
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

dan9591 wrote:
tsands974 wrote:I absolutely love my MP5 clone sbr (Bobcat BW5). It runs through 115 and 147 grain like a champ; it's one of my favorite guns to shoot that I own.
Dakota Tactical makes an amazing one, I have customers that rave about them.

Coharie were hit or miss, all depending on the day it was made.

GhillieBear on HKPRO does one off if not full production now, he makes an awesome MP5 clone.
dan9591
Silent But Deadly

Post by dan9591 »

Bendersquint wrote:
dan9591 wrote:
Dakota Tactical makes an amazing one, I have customers that rave about them.

Coharie were hit or miss, all depending on the day it was made.

GhillieBear on HKPRO does one off if not full production now, he makes an awesome MP5 clone.
Thanks bender! I am looking some of these guys up and will hopefully add a clone to my budding collection in the next few months...
Skyking

Post by Skyking »

All,

I ordered two of these rifles in August 2012 and have received no updates. Ditto my dealer. Has anyone actually taken possession of one? If so, when did you order and when did your dealer take possession?

Thanks,

Phil