YHM Stainless QD Phantom 7.62 - Another Quick Review

Post your experiences here.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw

Wahnsinn
Silent But Deadly

YHM Stainless QD Phantom 7.62 - Another Quick Review

Post by Wahnsinn »

So I know there have been multiple reviews of this can on here, just wanted to add to the pile :D

Back in March I scored a deal on one of these (thank you again Blake) and it was finally approved back on 08/17 (paperwork came in 08/24, I picked it up 08/25, got to try it out 08/26). Going into it, I know it's not a top of the line can and I know what to expect out of a centerfire rifle can. All that being said, I was more than pleasantly surprised when I tried it out (comparatively, I've shot the 762SD on both 762 and 556 guns previously, I like the sound of the YHM can better).

Blake was kind enough to let me switch the mount out from the 7.62 flash hider to the 5.56 (1/2x28) brake. So I grabbed one of the only options I have/had at the time (16" AR) and toss the brake on. Sunday I go out to try it and fire a few rounds (Federal AE 55gr FMJ circa 2000) with just the brake, it's loud as hell of course :lol: Then I toss the can on there and man does this thing sound good. Mind you we're still talking 5.56, haven't tried it on a 7.62 gun yet (couple guns are being threaded, then need to pick up mounts for everything). But anyway, it sounds pretty ridiculous for a rifle can, took off my earplugs for a couple shots and it sounded great...nowhere near a suppressed 22, but who would expect that outside of somebody shopping for a Depot can :wink:

Of course there is the weight, but I knew that going in and I don't mind it. Depending on the gun, it will balance out ok still, but if you want something light grab the titanium version, definitely much lighter (had the chance to handle the 762 and 556 version at Blake's). But for about half the price, I'll take this one (again, I got a great deal on it) :D

Anyway, my $0.02, I like the thing and will probably look at buying another at some point.

Interesting thing Blake pointed out, he says that the Liberty QA cans will use the YHM mounts (but not vice versa).
continuity
Elite Member

Re: YHM Stainless QD Phantom 7.62 - Another Quick Review

Post by continuity »

Couldn't be happier with my 7.62 Phantom. Practical, maybe even above average, field suppression on 7.62 and 5.56.

Yeah, it's a little heavy, but since I'm slung 80 percent of the time, I'm not going to complain. Plus it's robust enough to pound in tent stakes with.

Thanks for the review. Agree with everything.
What amount of a man is composed of his own collection of experiences... and the conclusions that those experiences have allowed him to "know" for certain as "Truth"? :Ick
gunguy
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunguy »

I like my Phantom and se it on a bunch of host, it takes all you throw at it and sounds good for the price. I handled one of YHMs Titanium 5.56 cans the other day and it wasn't as light as I expected.
AAC Cyclone-BRANDED FOR LIFE MEMBER
Dogtired
Silent Operator

Post by Dogtired »

I have one and like it just fine. Reading this reminded me: does any one run them wet and does it make any difference?
Rumnhammer

Post by Rumnhammer »

I have one too, and agree with all of the above. Do not shoot it wet! I asked this question from YHM and they said a big no. It will void the warrenty

Chris Rummel
BLAKE2131
Silent But Deadly

Post by BLAKE2131 »

Glad you liked the can
Blake
Liberty Suppressors
Remember to follow us on Facebook and Twitter
Wahnsinn
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wahnsinn »

So I got all my mounts in last week (2 AK mounts, M1A, 556 flash hider, 762 flash hider). Still waiting on my bolt guns to come back from threading, couple more days hopefully.

But I did get out today to try out the 2 AK mounts with the can. Definitely true what you read about AKs not being the greatest at suppressing, but one sounded better than the other.

Draco SBR - sounded pretty decent with the can. No issues with the threads, did the check with a set of calipers (measured inside to outside of threads all around the muzzle, all very close numbers if not matching).

WASR10/63 - sounded ok with the can. Same thing with the threads, looked good. Appears I've got one of the gas tubes with holes in it :? Whatever that is for, maybe I will switch it out, maybe I will just deal with it.

Both sounded a whole lot better than shooting without a can, that's for sure. Not hearing safe, but better than nothing at least.
BLAKE2131
Silent But Deadly

Post by BLAKE2131 »

The holes in the tube are to bleed excess gas when using a can or running out of spec ammo

The AK is a loud host when using a can but i like my AK SBR and can its better than it unsupressed
Blake
Liberty Suppressors
Wahnsinn
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wahnsinn »

That is for sure. Was showing it to a couple guys out at Mickey's on Tuesday, definitely a big difference.
Wahnsinn
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wahnsinn »

Got out yesterday (Sunday) afternoon and put it on the M1A, again sounded very nice even with full power ammo. POI shifted quite a bit from removing the original flash hider to putting on the YHM mount. Then shifted again slightly when I put the can on. Got it dialed in though, so no worries there.

When I was shooting the SBR AK with it on, some of the other guys at the range were asking if it was full power ammo I was using, yup :D

One of the guys brought out some little baggies of fun (tannerite). Shot one of them with the SBR AK/can combo, man that stuff makes a pretty good sized kaboom.
tsands974
Silent But Deadly

Post by tsands974 »

Wahnsinn wrote:Got out yesterday (Sunday) afternoon and put it on the M1A, again sounded very nice even with full power ammo. POI shifted quite a bit from removing the original flash hider to putting on the YHM mount. Then shifted again slightly when I put the can on. Got it dialed in though, so no worries there.

When I was shooting the SBR AK with it on, some of the other guys at the range were asking if it was full power ammo I was using, yup :D

One of the guys brought out some little baggies of fun (tannerite). Shot one of them with the SBR AK/can combo, man that stuff makes a pretty good sized kaboom.
How much of a POI shift do you have at whatever distance you were shooting from unsuppressed to having the can attached?
Wahnsinn
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wahnsinn »

We were shooting at about 140yds (there happened to be a green container of some sort floating in the river at that distance).

I think I ended up moving it only a couple inches, not too drastic surprisingly.

Next time I will try to grab the shooting lane at the range so I can put it on paper, get a better idea. If my bolt guns come back from threading this week I'll probably hit the range this weekend and try it out again.

The only bad thing about the M1A/can combo was gas in the face. I'm thinking that's the real reason for the adjustable gas plug, so I may invest in one of those.
BLAKE2131
Silent But Deadly

Post by BLAKE2131 »

Yes get the schuster plug you can hurt your gun if you dont use it
Blake
Liberty Suppressors
Wahnsinn
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wahnsinn »

Installed this weekend, got it tuned without the can, should probably tune it for use with the can though and mark it off.
BLAKE2131
Silent But Deadly

Post by BLAKE2131 »

I think it was tune so it barely ejects and then give it another like 1/4 turn and youll be good for uncanned and canned
Blake
Liberty Suppressors