osprey 45 or ti rant 45???

Post your experiences here.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw

canenvy

osprey 45 or ti rant 45???

Post by canenvy »

i like the osprey cause you dont need taller sights and the serial number is on the booster, but dont like that i cant pull it apart myself to clean it. i plan on threading everything pistol caliber i have and running my new can on them all im sure ill be running my 22 the most. i like the ti rant cause you can pull it apart and its a little less money. let me know what you guys think. thanks
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Re: osprey 45 or ti rant 45???

Post by 66427vette »

Both are very nice. Do your self a favor and buy a dedicated 22 along with your 45 can.
dtom29
Silent But Deadly

Post by dtom29 »

listen to 66427vette.....
canenvy

Post by canenvy »

ok im going to g with the osprey cause if it blows up i shouldnt have to pay for another tax stamp. no i just have to find the quietest 22 can :shock:
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

Sparrow or spectre2 would be my choice if I had to pay for one out of my pocket. If you want quiet and top notchcustomer service one of these is the way to go.
FiremanFrank

Post by FiremanFrank »

I went with the Sparrow for a .22 silencer as I had read that it was very important to be able to take it apart for cleaning. Apparently, from what I have read in many places, .22 rimfire is especially dirty because you are firing lead projectiles most of the time. Would be interesting to find out if the plated bullets that are used in some .22 lr leave less lead residue on the baffles.

I also have an Osprey .45 can and it was the first one I had tried out. So I don't have vast experience like I am sure some do but it is awesome and very quiet. Not hard to clean the booster assembly (Nielsen device I think) either.
Fireman1291
Silent But Deadly

Post by Fireman1291 »

Good choice on the Osprey45. Remember, your not JUST buying a silencer. You're buying the best customer service in the biz. Should you fill up your osprey with carbon and lead, just contact silencerco and they will tear it town, replace the core, and have it back to you in under 2-weeks(thats including ship time)

Hell there might even be a free shirt in the box. I remember when I got my Osprey9 back from a recore and it came back with some stickers and a free shirt. I remember feeling dirty... "so they paid for shipping, refurbed every part in my can except the booter housing, and gave me a shirt?" :lol: "So THIIIIIIS is how a company is supposed to be run...interesting" :lol:
Industry T&E
https://www.youtube.com/nfareviewchannelusa
Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/NFAreviewchannel
Instagram
https://www.instagram.com/nfareview
[email protected]
Silent But Deadly

Post by [email protected] »

Fireman, Did you get a "new core"? I heard(maybe just a rumor)that Silencerco was making a "more efficient core," and I'd like to know how much better they are. That is, if what I heard was true.
Sdustin
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sdustin »

after hearing all the good about silencer co i think ill look at the osprey i wanted a tirant and a sparrow now it may just be a osprey.
When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Post by JasonM »

Sdustin wrote:after hearing all the good about silencer co i think ill look at the osprey i wanted a tirant and a sparrow now it may just be a osprey.
Still get a 22Sparrow for your 22. (your 22 can will need to be user-serviceable)
Kick Ass Design
ten:pm media
www.facebook.com/VisualGravy
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

canenvy wrote:ok im going to g with the osprey cause if it blows up i shouldnt have to pay for another tax stamp. no i just have to find the quietest 22 can :shock:
Don't decide based on a worst-case fatalistic approach. Chances are that's not gonna happen. Being user-serviceable is a big deal, especially for a 22 can. So i vote for the Tirant and Sparrow.
Sdustin
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sdustin »

I really would prefer a round can on a pistol i know the advantages of the square thing but it looks ugly as sin

But im not 100% on either right its last on my list anyway, first in the 22 sparrow, the sparrow is good for 22 horent right?
When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns
BLMJ

Post by BLMJ »

canenvy wrote:i like the osprey cause you dont need taller sights and the serial number is on the booster, but dont like that i cant pull it apart myself to clean it. i plan on threading everything pistol caliber i have and running my new can on them all im sure ill be running my 22 the most. i like the ti rant cause you can pull it apart and its a little less money. let me know what you guys think. thanks
I have both. FYI Tirant is full auto rated. Osprey is not. I like both but end up shooting the Tirant more. If I had to choose I would get that one.
Wahnsinn
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wahnsinn »

Osprey is full auto rated to a point (depends on barrel length, caliber).

FWIW, I have run my 45Osprey on my M11/9 with AMP11 upper. Sounded pretty good too with some Lawman 147s :D
[email protected]
Silent But Deadly

So I assume this new "more efficient" core for the Osprey is only a rumor?
Slaine777
Silent Operator

Post by Slaine777 »

I went with 45 Osprey and Spectre II.
[email protected]
Silent But Deadly

I guess S.co didn't make a new more efficient core for the osprey......????
sbui

Post by sbui »

Just get both, that's what I did! In 9mm and 45 ACP, and all the other 22. Just DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Fireman1291
Silent But Deadly

Post by Fireman1291 »

[email protected] wrote:So I assume this new "more efficient" core for the Osprey is only a rumor?

The core was changed from a assembly standpoint, not suppression. They used to have a front cap that pins on. Then they machined a channel into the core that would allow the frontcap to be slid into the core and then the outer tube would slide down against the front cap and the whole thing is held together by a lock ring after assembling the booster housing. When I sent my core in they used the new system so the pin holes are gone.

Example: My Ospreys(9&45) before I sent the 9 in for upgrade. My 9 is a VERY early serial number. :wink:

Industry T&E
https://www.youtube.com/nfareviewchannelusa
Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/NFAreviewchannel
Instagram
https://www.instagram.com/nfareview
[email protected]
Silent But Deadly

Fireman1291 wrote:
[email protected] wrote:So I assume this new "more efficient" core for the Osprey is only a rumor?

The core was changed from a assembly standpoint, not suppression. They used to have a front cap that pins on. Then they machined a channel into the core that would allow the frontcap to be slid into the core and then the outer tube would slide down against the front cap and the whole thing is held together by a lock ring after assembling the booster housing. When I sent my core in they used the new system so the pin holes are gone.

Example: My Ospreys(9&45) before I sent the 9 in for upgrade. My 9 is a VERY early serial number. :wink:

Thanks for the info, I felt like nobody was going to answer.
ChimeraPrecision
Silent But Deadly

Post by ChimeraPrecision »

I was faced with the same decision two weeks ago. I went osprey 45.
Keep calm, and suppress on
m4colt

Post by m4colt »

I have an osprey, tirant and a sparrow. All are excellent.

Just picked the tirant. Shot it dry and it was hearing safe. I expect total silence shot wet.

My osprey was an EARLY serial number and had a difficulty on a reassembly. Silencerco asked for it back and replaced the entire baffle stack with current generation parts. I challenge anybody to beat this level of customer commitment. I love seeing the s--t- eating- grin every time I let a neewby shoot this can wet. happens every time! There is no noise and nobody believes it.

The Sparrow is a great 22 can. Training can go through hundreds of rounds and 22lr ammo is dirty. Everyone needs to see what 500+ rounds will do to a can. Lead and fouling will stick to the internals. 22 cans MUST be user serviceable. Do not shoot 22lr in your centerfire cans. The sparrow sets the gold standard for noise efficient, easy to disassemble engineering. Period.
good judgement comes from experience......and most of that comes from bad judgement.
zeeew
Silent Operator

Post by zeeew »

Octane SWR is out now also. I have the Sparrow for 22, waiting for an Octane to clear. 9mm tho. Stainless baffles and user serviceable.
corey4

Post by corey4 »

first post here, but i have been lurking for awhile.

since some of have been talking about 22 thru a centerfire can, read my dilemma from another forum. read on:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthr ... er=3837678

i know i have a YHM, much different that an osprey, but you get the idea.
Kramer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Kramer »

Two years ago I went with the double whammy and bought a 45 Osprey and a SS Sparrow, an awesome pair.