Sig p220 TB issues

Questions and answers, photos, videos, and discussion.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

gixxerpilot750

Sig p220 TB issues

Post by gixxerpilot750 »

I've searched on google and in a number of forums about this topic to no avail so I figured posting here might be worth a shot.

I've got a Sig p220 with stainless frame and slide that I intended to use as a host to a YHM Cobra. I purchased a Sig drop in threaded barrel and swapped it in. When dropping in the barrel I encountered some resistance getting it fully into battery prior to putting in the guide rod and spring. I dropped the slide with only the barrel in it onto the frame and worked it by hand to "see" where it was encountering resistance. The resistance occurred at the end of cycling right as the barrel was being pushed up into the slide (roughly the last 1/8" to 1/4" of travel). I identified where the barrel and slide were coming into contact and used whiteout on the barrel to verify. I looked at the original barrel and noticed a similar wear pattern above the chamber on the flat surface that comes into contact with the slide when it's locked into battery.

I reassembled the pistol and lubed it and went to the range thinking that it just needed to be "shot in" so to speak. The first magazine with the suppressor functioned flawlessly. The following magazines (100 rds in total, suppressor on for about 25% of the time) the functioning was poor to say the least, but only when the suppressor was mounted. The pistol either wouldn't eject or wouldn't lock up due to the slide stopping about 1/4" short of full lock up. I disassembled the pistol for cleaning upon returning home and noticed some wear on the barrel and slide in the same places I was seeing it hang up earlier. My first thought was to take some 600 grit wet sandpaper and make a pass or two on the face of the barrel and see where that got me in terms of lock up, but I decided against this approach. Has anyone else had a similar issue or experience and how were you able to resolve it? As it is I'm planning on getting another hundred or so rounds down the barrel and see if the functioning improves and go from there. I've spoken to Sig on the phone and they're saying it's a magazine issue (I want to throw the BS flag on that but will know for sure as I've got 5 new factory mags on the way) and that I should continue shooting with the new mags before sending it in. I know that Sig has said in the past that these barrels can sometimes require fitting which seems reasonable to me, I'm just trying to avoid having to send it in if I can.

Thanks
sreiser

Re: Sig p220 TB issues

Post by sreiser »

I was having the exact same problem. P220TB with Gemtech Blackside, etc. I sent my suppressor back in to Gemtech to have the LID installed and it solved my problem.

http://www.gem-tech.com/store/pc/viewPr ... ategory=16