Various Caliber Uppers

Talk about them here.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

What is the best non-5.56 caliber for an AR?

6.8 SPC
30%
50 Beowulf
5%
6.5 Grendel
19%
9mm
35%
12%

Total votes: 43

nutinauniversalshell
Silent But Deadly

Various Caliber Uppers

Post by nutinauniversalshell »

I have a 5.56 AR that I have built, and now I have a new receiver so I was thinking about doing something different.

The 6.8 SPC is interesting, but so is 6.5 Grendel and 50 Beowulf.

Anyone out there mess with these or other off caliber ARs? Any suggestions for a build up would be appreciated.
CZ-75
Silent But Deadly

Post by CZ-75 »

I vote .22 It's the least expensive to shoot, the simplest to suppress, and fun to shoot.

I'm researching the different options now.
nutinauniversalshell
Silent But Deadly

22 would be fun but I think I would just get a conversion for my LAR/Doublestar AR instead of building a dedicated 22. I was thinking of regestewring the receiver as SBR later and having multiple uppers and mags so I can shoot anything, but for now I just need to pick one caliber.
Wraith
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wraith »

The .50 Beowulf is just awesome. It's obviously not a long range round so it depends on what you'd use the upper for. If you want a close range sledgehammer then go with the .50. If you want something you can reach out and touch someone with the my vote goes to the 6.5 Grendel.
Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
Always out numbered, never outgunned.
Mom... Dad... I'm gaelic.
cyclone72
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by cyclone72 »

I dont have one at all but Ive been eyeballing the 458 Socom for a good year the only bad thing is ammo price.I voted for 9mm cause ammo is inexpensive and suppression is good.

some others 338 Spectre
300 Whisper that I think are worthy to take a look at but there are too many too list .
bp_968
Silent But Deadly

Post by bp_968 »

Wraith wrote:The .50 Beowulf is just awesome. It's obviously not a long range round so it depends on what you'd use the upper for. If you want a close range sledgehammer then go with the .50. If you want something you can reach out and touch someone with the my vote goes to the 6.5 Grendel.
+1 on the Grendel. I have considered a SPR upper using that instead of 5.56 and using my .308 can on it. But I think i'll just go with an SASS since I have to buy new mags for it anyway. Still, its a nice round with some great ballistics.
-----------------------------

This space for rent.
nutinauniversalshell
Silent But Deadly

I love the information I am finding on these rounds, but it is hard to find prices. If you shoot something odd like these please tell us about it and how much/where to get the ammo.

So far I like the 6.8 because of price but the 50 is appealing becasue of shear size.

Also, any information about the alexander arms uppers would be great!
cyclone72
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by cyclone72 »

6.8 upper 459 at eaglefirearms.net, out of stock, ammo 19.00 a box .95 per rnd?

http://www.impactguns.com/store/alexander_arms.html

.50 Beuowolf upper 580.00+, ammo 20 rnds a box $1 a round

try Teppojutsu.com
Artful
Silent But Deadly

Post by Artful »

What is the best non-5.56 caliber for an AR?
6.8 SPC
50 Beowulf
6.5 Grendel
9mm
Best for What?
6.8 or 6.5 Grendal better long range power than 5.56
50 Beowulf better Short range power than 5.56
9mm better per shot cost than 5.56
22LR better per shot cost than everything else

I think you missed two I would have had the the list
300 whisper and 7.62x39 Ruskie, either gives good Super or Subsonic load and 300 whisper uses existing mags and bolt heads - only change barrel out but it mostly handload proposition.

458 Socom if your a reloader is also quite a choice.
"Trying to tax yourself into prosperity is like standing in a bucket and trying to pick yourself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill
nutinauniversalshell
Silent But Deadly

I didnt add 300 whisper because I couldnt find much information on it. I couldnt find any ammo and what I found made it seem to be way too much of a PITA to mess with.

7.62x39 is awesome...I love the round and will be building up 6 AKs w/ a friend soon but in an AR it was disappointing.

I build up a 5.56 and 7.62x39 ak before and i love my 556 but the 7.62x39 jammed alot, the mags were specific to the caliber and functioned poorly...many problems!!! I ended up trading it fast because of the LAR lower, but I doubt I would ever build another AR in that caliber.

I would rather just have an excuse for owning an AK and SKS. :twisted:

The question is just for general info so I can decide what to use on my latest AR build and while I like 9mm I dont think I want one in an AR rifle...but 45 would be awesome.

Thanks for the input so far.
cyclone72
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by cyclone72 »

nutinauniversalshell wrote:I didnt add 300 whisper because I couldnt find much information on it. I couldnt find any ammo and what I found made it seem to be way too much of a PITA to mess with.

7.62x39 is awesome...I love the round and will be building up 6 AKs w/ a friend soon but in an AR it was disappointing.

I build up a 5.56 and 7.62x39 ak before and i love my 556 but the 7.62x39 jammed alot, the mags were specific to the caliber and functioned poorly...many problems!!! I ended up trading it fast because of the LAR lower, but I doubt I would ever build another AR in that caliber.

I would rather just have an excuse for owning an AK and SKS. :twisted:

The question is just for general info so I can decide what to use on my latest AR build and while I like 9mm I dont think I want one in an AR rifle...but 45 would be awesome.

Thanks for the input so far.

they do make a 45 upper.....or did you mean the 458 Socom?

both would be cool.I love the 45 round and the 458 is juat as bad
nutinauniversalshell
Silent But Deadly

I saw one place that had 45 uppers but im not sure who it was
Artful
Silent But Deadly

Post by Artful »

It is a Cav 45:

CAV-15 MKII.

Hahn Precision 45 ACP Grease Gun Adapter Block.

Olympic 45 ACP upper.
"Trying to tax yourself into prosperity is like standing in a bucket and trying to pick yourself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill
nutinauniversalshell
Silent But Deadly

Do any other manufacturers make a 45 upper?

Nice job with the blue, but it looks kinda funny for a firearm!
jreinke

Various Caliber Uppers

Post by jreinke »

SSK has a new caliber called the 6.5 MPC (Multi-Purpose Cartridge) based on a .223 shortened and necked up to 6.5mm. Ballistics are comparable to the 6.5 Grendel & the 6.8 SPC, but it ONLY required a barrel change. No new bolt and no new mags! Check it out: http://www.sskindustries.com/6_5mpc.htm

Jeff Reinke