FAL with Silencer gas setting

Talk about them here.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Paranoia
Silent But Deadly

FAL with Silencer gas setting

Post by Paranoia »

I don’t know if anyone else has done this but figured I’ll post it anyways for the FAL guys. Comments and Ideas are welcome

Just got my 7.62SD back (upgraded to mod08) gonna put it on my DSA SA58 with a 17.5 Imbel barrel.

Instead of a grenade setting I drilled a small hole in the gas plug where it’s set to off. Kind of like my XCR. I don't launch grenades so figured I wouldn’t need to turn it off and I can always order another one if need be. I'll test it out this weekend. Hopefully I didn't make the suppressor setting hole too big so I will be able to keep the gas setting closed to help keep the noise down and not cycle so hard. I'll let you guys know how it works out.

Chris
Diomed
Silent But Deadly

Post by Diomed »

How did it work? Very interested...
Artful
Silent But Deadly

Post by Artful »

I turn my gas off to have it operate as a straight pull - makes it quiet as possible.
"Trying to tax yourself into prosperity is like standing in a bucket and trying to pick yourself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill
Paranoia
Silent But Deadly

Post by Paranoia »

It's hard to explain but No luck it won't cycle with the new hole on either setting. I guess it made the chamber too large as when the new gas setting was on it put the old gas hole on the top(opposite side) and there is a little space under my front sight post probably making the gas chamber too large or the front sight post isn't sealed making it loose pressure. Gonna have to order a new gas plug.

Artful I tried that before but on my rifle the empty casing was getting stuck in the chamber and required allot of force to remove the empty casing.

If I could get a new gas plug with the hole half the size of the old one I think it would work.
Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Twinsen »

Yeah, I fired normal ammo with the gas system off and it took a lot of effort to work the action. I don't remember if I just yanked it back or let it cool down or what, but I've only fired maybe 10 rounds that way.
Diomed
Silent But Deadly

Post by Diomed »

Twinsen wrote:Yeah, I fired normal ammo with the gas system off and it took a lot of effort to work the action. I don't remember if I just yanked it back or let it cool down or what, but I've only fired maybe 10 rounds that way.
It is a pain in the ass. When my L1A1 blew out the gas block pin, I had to pogo the damn thing to get the fired cases out. People call it a straight pull bolt action with the gas turned off, I think that's insulting to the bolt action.
Smilodon
Silent But Deadly

Post by Smilodon »

Diomed, that's definately an understatement. I'm glad I'm not the only one with that problem. I've got enough gas plugs laying around, maybe I should weld one up and experiment with diff. port sizes?
www.sabrewerks.com
[email protected]
Paranoia
Silent But Deadly

Post by Paranoia »

I'm going to reseal up the factory hole and retry with the new smaller hole. I'll post the results i'm positve it will work.
Paranoia
Silent But Deadly

Post by Paranoia »

Update
I welded up the old gas hole and it works the only problem is that my welding skills suck and I cracked the gas plug
Max
Silent Operator

Post by Max »

My new Stick!

Diomed
Silent But Deadly

Post by Diomed »

Paranoia wrote:Update
I welded up the old gas hole and it works the only problem is that my welding skills suck and I cracked the gas plug
The plugs are still cheap though, aren't they?

Seriously, this project has potential.
Paranoia
Silent But Deadly

Post by Paranoia »

I think they are like $15. I'm going to make this work it’s just hard when you don’t have machining tools otherwise it would be done.

If you want to make one yourself you could do a one hole plug or multiple if you make something to lock it into position on the outside like the XCR or SIG556. If your rifle is like mine then you would need to make the holes anywhere from the 6-10 o’clock position so gas won’t escape thru the front post directly above.

Hope this makes sense I’m in pain went to Penthouse and Thee Doll House last night think I’m still drunk
MCFLURY
Senior Silent Operator

hey

Post by MCFLURY »

saw the penthouse and dollhouse sounded familiar where in tampa are you i am in st pete and getting a 762sd with a dsa osw where do you shoot
Paranoia
Silent But Deadly

Post by Paranoia »

Im in westchase and I shoot on a farm we own in Arcadia.

I solved my original problem so the extra gas setting should work I installed a cheap rail and it squeezed the gas tube making the piston bind so bad that the original plug wouldn't work. I haven't had time to fix it but will get around to it in a couple of months.
stimpsonjcat
Silent But Deadly

Post by stimpsonjcat »

Size of new hole in gas plug please?
Iansstud
Silent Operator

Post by Iansstud »

You can't drill a hole in the grenade side, because the gas would then excape out the front sight post hole on BOTH settings instead of makeing it to the piston.

If you remove the front sight post, tab, and spring there is 2 holes, one for the front sight post, and one for the gas port. This is plugged when the gas plug is set to A or non- grenade mode...

You could drill through the above ^^^^ hole, a couple of thousands and just turn down the setting on the dial. Just remember to put a rod of some kind down the barrel so you dont drill too far! But I bet you'll have bad luck if you drill the plug itself.
Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Twinsen »

Another possibility is to use the gas plug out of an AR piston system. I just saw one in a store recently that looked identical to an FAL plug. The hole might be smaller. But it's probably bigger, right? Ah well, I don't even know what brand that was.
MCFLURY
Senior Silent Operator

Post by MCFLURY »

Iansstud wrote:You can't drill a hole in the grenade side, because the gas would then excape out the front sight post hole on BOTH settings instead of makeing it to the piston.

If you remove the front sight post, tab, and spring there is 2 holes, one for the front sight post, and one for the gas port. This is plugged when the gas plug is set to A or non- grenade mode...

You could drill through the above ^^^^ hole, a couple of thousands and just turn down the setting on the dial. Just remember to put a rod of some kind down the barrel so you dont drill too far! But I bet you'll have bad luck if you drill the plug itself.
can you please explain i dont understand maybe a post with pictures
stimpsonjcat
Silent But Deadly

Post by stimpsonjcat »

I have taken a beater plug and welded up the hole and redrilled to about half the original size. I also welede up the notch that feeds the gas vent.

I'll try this for cycling and then open up the hole til I get good ejection.

Will report back.
Bulwyeth
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bulwyeth »

tag
Nothing says "Obey Me" like a bloody head on a fence post.

Stewie Griffin

SWR Spectre
SWR Trident
SWR HEMS-2
Yankee Hill Phantom 5.56 SS
MCFLURY
Senior Silent Operator

Post by MCFLURY »

stimpsonjcat wrote:I have taken a beater plug and welded up the hole and redrilled to about half the original size. I also welede up the notch that feeds the gas vent.

I'll try this for cycling and then open up the hole til I get good ejection.

Will report back.
pics please post pics
stimpsonjcat
Silent But Deadly

Post by stimpsonjcat »

Just locked it in the safe...so no pics today.

But it works perfectly, the hole is drilled 5/64".

Cycles and tosses brass about 10 feet without changing the gas setting.
MCFLURY
Senior Silent Operator

Post by MCFLURY »

does it beat the gun up and how does the brass look
stimpsonjcat
Silent But Deadly

Post by stimpsonjcat »

Brass looked exactly like when I don't use the can.