CCI standard velocity question?

Talk about them here.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

coyote223
Silent But Deadly

CCI standard velocity question?

Post by coyote223 »

What's the scoop? I keep seeing posts, suggesting CCI standard velocity as a good quiet rifle ammunition. I have two hosts, one with a 22" barrel, one with an SBX with the 12.25" barrel. I bought the CCI standards, both hosts get the crack. Not one of the bullets was sub-sonic or quiet. Suppressor is a Warlock.

How is it, that it seems to be quiet for some people and not others? Different lots? Different climate? The only thing quiet out of my rifles are sub-sonics. Everything else gives the crack going down range. Thoughts? Experiences? :?
tmix
Silent But Deadly

Re: CCI standard velocity question?

Post by tmix »

coyote223 wrote:What's the scoop? I keep seeing posts, suggesting CCI standard velocity as a good quiet rifle ammunition. I have two hosts, one with a 22" barrel, one with an SBX with the 12.25" barrel. I bought the CCI standards, both hosts get the crack. Not one of the bullets was sub-sonic or quiet. Suppressor is a Warlock.

How is it, that it seems to be quiet for some people and not others? Different lots? Different climate? The only thing quiet out of my rifles are sub-sonics. Everything else gives the crack going down range. Thoughts? Experiences? :?

Something is not right, at all. Are you sure you have CCI standard velocity?

Out of my CZ 452 Varmint with 21" barrel, CCI SV is always subsonic.

What was the air temp and altitude where you were shooting?

The speed of sound decreases with an increase in altitude and decreases in temperature. <--(over-simplification)
[size=150]Machine gun snob by proxy. [/size]
[img]http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x190/tmixon762/Colt_Automatic_Rifle_01.jpg[/img]
yamatitan
Silent But Deadly

Post by yamatitan »

It cracks out of my 16" and 10" barrels in the winter but doesnt in the summer for me.
Jmark
Silent But Deadly

Post by Jmark »

I'd imagine it's a temperature and altitude issue being from Oregon. Sounds like you may want to try CCI Subs for your winter ammo and try the Standard velocity again in the summer.
coyote223
Silent But Deadly

Post by coyote223 »

Jmark wrote:I'd imagine it's a temperature and altitude issue being from Oregon. Sounds like you may want to try CCI Subs for your winter ammo and try the Standard velocity again in the summer.

I'll try again in the summer. Right now I have aguila subs on hand, They kind of stink but are very quiet. CCI subs are tough to find locally,,,

tmix, I'm sure they are standard velocity,,, :wink: