Ohio Hunting Update

Hunting in general, or with a suppressor.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Louis
Silent Operator

Ohio Hunting Update

Post by Louis »

Representative Cheryl Grossman (R Ohio) has contacted me with the following information. She has been hard at work putting together a bill to change the hunting law in Ohio to allow suppressors. In her research she came across what Georgia had done. The following is an excert from the bill that was passed in George. She is planning to use it as a template for Oho's bill. Please everyone look at it and if you have any comments or suggestions post them. Any help would be appreciated.

Any firearm otherwise
55 authorized for use in the hunting or taking of game may be equipped with a suppressor,
56 provided that the user is authorized to possess such suppressor and he or she has
57 registered the suppressor in accordance with the dictates of the National Firearms Act,
58 68A Stat. 725 (26 U.S.C. Sections 5841-5862). For the purposes of this paragraph, the
59 term 'suppressor' means any device for quieting or diminishing the report of any portable
60 weapon such as a rifle, carbine, pistol, revolver, machine gun, shotgun, fowling piece, or
61 other device from which a shot, bullet, or projectile may be discharged by an explosive.
62 (b) The hunting privileges of any person who has been convicted of violating the
63 provisions of this title or any rule or regulation promulgated pursuant thereto by hunting
13 LC 28 6490
S. B. 93
- 3 -
64 without landowner permission, hunting in an area that is closed for hunting, or by hunting
65 big game out of season or at night with a firearm equipped with a suppressor shall be
66 suspended for three years."
"The evil of the world is made possible by nothing but the sanction you give it."- John Galt("Atlas Shrugged"-Ayn Rand)
bp shooter

Re: Ohio Hunting Update

Post by bp shooter »

It would be cool. If it happens i might had to spend the 200 bucks and file the paperwork and build something rather than living vicariously though people have one...lol
Ring
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ring »

any updates?... do we need to send emails to people?
Louis
Silent Operator

Post by Louis »

Talked to Representative Grossman last week. Before Easter weekend. She said that everyone is involved with the budget and hashing that out right now. She has a bill ready to be submitted for cosponsership. It should be circulated for that next week. That would be Monday 4-8-13. Representative Grossman is the Majority Whip in the house. That is a position that get things done. Yes please call or e-mail your local state representative. Let them know that Representative Grossman is submitting a bill that they need to support.
"The evil of the world is made possible by nothing but the sanction you give it."- John Galt("Atlas Shrugged"-Ayn Rand)
Ring
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ring »

firstsgtsteiner
Silent Operator

Post by firstsgtsteiner »

passed 3rd consideration yesterday......

http://lsc.state.oh.us/coderev/hou130.n ... enDocument
PacSound

Post by PacSound »

It looks like it went through hoop #1. Just needs to pass the senate and then have the guvnah sign it in as law. It said an application was needed, I wonder how much more of my money they want to take away for having firearms.
http://m.the-daily-record.com/local%20n ... uppressors
Shurshot

Post by Shurshot »

older topic here, but I wonder if after the elections this week if this will get some attention soon or not.

2nd hand info here:
my hunting partner told me that he talked to a game warden in Butler county and was told that suppressor use for hunting coyote was ok, but deer and birds were not ok. I would love to take my suppressor out when I hunt coyotes but am afraid to do so without some more info to back this claim up. I have a coyote rich wetland area to hunt and was hoping someone would give me a glimpse of hope about this.

It has been 7 months since HB 264 was passed by the General Assembly and now since the elections are over, I would hope the Senate would finalize this.

any words of wisdom for me? :?:
Ring
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ring »

email from oct. 14th 2014

Hello,

We are just waiting for the Legislature to resume Session after the election this November. We anticipate this bill will be moving in the Senate when we return soon.

You can stay updated on progress by clicking on the following link as well: http://lsc.state.oh.us/coderev/hou130.n ... enDocument

Thanks,

Alisa Vidulich
Sr. Legislative Aide
Rep. Cheryl Grossman, Majority Whip
Ohio House of Representatives, District 23
(614) 466-9690
Ring
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ring »

today...

Good morning,

House Bill 234, gun suppressors, will have its fourth hearing in the Senate Civil Justice Committee next Wednesday, November 12th at 9:45 AM in the Senate Finance Hearing Room.

ALL testimony (proponent/opponent/interested party) may be presented in person and/or in writing. If you wish to provide any testimony, please email directly to Emily Groseclose along with the attached witness slip no later than 24 hours in advance. Below is Emily’s contact information.

Emily Groseclose
Legislative Aide
Senator William P. Coley, II
[email protected]
Shurshot

Post by Shurshot »

certainly appreciate the fast response on my question! also like what your response was! I will keep an eye on the link provided. thank you two very much!
Shurshot

Post by Shurshot »

just now received... but the link isn't working at this time. server likely overwhelmed now.

If you go to this link: http://www.ohiosenate.gov/committee/civil-justice#, you can see all of the testimony that was submitted in Senate Civil Justice Committee. HB 234 was open to all testimony yesterday, but there were no amendments offered/accepted and the bill was not voted on. I do not know at this time what the plan is going forward, because the members still need to meet to discuss the bill.

Hope this is helpful.

Thanks,

Emily Groseclose
Legislative Aide
Senator William P. Coley, II
4th Ohio Senate District
[email protected]
Shurshot

Post by Shurshot »

looks like suppressors will soon be good to go in Ohio! :D

http://www.outdoorhub.com/news/2014/12/ ... MjUzNjEyS0