30-06 suppressed

Hunting in general, or with a suppressor.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Atlasshrugged

30-06 suppressed

Post by Atlasshrugged »

what is the best suppressor rig for bolt action remington 700 in 30-06. Who has experience with this? Primarily for hunting. Would be interested in overall sound reduction with supersonic rounds
Louis
Silent Operator

Re: 30-06 suppressed

Post by Louis »

I have an SRT 300 Winchester magnum suppressor. It does an incredible job. I can't imagine that the 30/06 would be more difficult to suppress.
"The evil of the world is made possible by nothing but the sanction you give it."- John Galt("Atlas Shrugged"-Ayn Rand)
Wakko
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wakko »

I'm going to go with the Specwar 762. YMMV.
Heroes never die.
Bone16
Elite Member

Post by Bone16 »

Wakko wrote:I'm going to go with the Specwar 762. YMMV.
+1 for me as well. Just ordered my Specwar from Silencershop. Will do triple duty on my Winchester M70 (30.06), AR (556), and HK-91. :) Now the ten month wait begins. :evil:
America is not at war. The U.S. Military is at war. America is at the mall.

Bone 16, Asshat at large, OUT!
O'Neill Ops
Silent But Deadly

Post by O'Neill Ops »

Atlasshrugged wrote:what is the best suppressor rig for bolt action remington 700 in 30-06. Who has experience with this? Primarily for hunting. Would be interested in overall sound reduction with supersonic rounds
SRT Arms Shadow XL Ti, Used this on the above caliber, as well as 308, 7mm Rem Mag, 7STW, 300SAUM, 300RUM, it's suppresses very well, and more importantly minimal POI shift, especially for hunting situations, a little lighter, quieter, and straight up performer.
Respect is earned through strength, weakness invites aggression.
Wakko
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wakko »

$1250...a bit more than I'd be able to go with, though it seems like a pretty nice can.
Heroes never die.
O'Neill Ops
Silent But Deadly

Post by O'Neill Ops »

Wakko wrote:$1250...a bit more than I'd be able to go with, though it seems like a pretty nice can.
it is a very nice can, you get what what you pay for. Completely understandable though.
Respect is earned through strength, weakness invites aggression.
Joker31D
Silent But Deadly

Post by Joker31D »

I went with the Saker, have shot it but after a paperwork screw up, I'm waiting again because of the Dealer didnt send a copy of my Trust and didn't fill it in correctly. but the Saker is nice with high pressure rounds, I use it for a Grendel which I think is louder than my 30-06. I plan on using it on a 300WM also but YMMV
Visit my Wounded Hunter Project Blog!
https://woundedhunterproject.wordpress.com/

It has a beard and its climbing mountains ... it must be a billy goat! wait, it has a Rifle!
sucker76
Silent Operator

Post by sucker76 »

The "best" suppressor is up the the user. I have a Saker 762 and it performs very well on my 30-06. It is quiet enough at the gun to not feel the need for ear plugs. That's for a few shots like hunting. If I'm at the range shooting a lot I will wear hearing protection just to be safe.
Stamp collecting since 2015
RJT
Silent But Deadly

Post by RJT »

I'm happy with my Harvester. It takes the bark out of my 7mm and 300 win mag while hunting, and is a featherweight. SilencerShop recommended the Griffin Sportsman DT as well.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Bull
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bull »

I have a few suppressed .30-06 rifles, an Encore and a pair of Remington 700's. They are fantastic hunting rifles, an absolute pleasure for everyone involved excluding the critter on the receiving end.
FFL Dealer/ SOT

"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the fight in the dog."
40G27
Senior Silent Operator

Post by 40G27 »

YHM Titanium Phantom makes a great compliment to my .30-06
hkmk23

Post by hkmk23 »

Hi,

I am new to this forum so please excuse any etiquette errors.

I have a 30-06 Sabatti Scout rifle, very nice but the kick is horrendous without the flash suppressor then the noise is huge.
Obviously it is already threaded for a silencer. My question is it seems quite a few of you are using silencers with 30-06 satisfactorily, could you tell me what load? Factory or handloads, I am being told I need to go subsonic with a silencer but of course that means 1000fps not 2800. I know sub/supersonic but all I want to do is reduce the noise to a reasonable level not try and get silent. All comments greatly appreciated. Fab forum.

I live in France and hunt wild boar and deer.

cheers
sucker76
Silent Operator

Post by sucker76 »

Hello and welcome. Right now i use factory Remington ammo. I use a Saker762 and its nice to shoot. The brake QD mount cuts down on recoil so my wife shoots it now and the suppressor cuts down noise at the rifle. There is a crack from the bullet traveling supersonic but i don't think hearing protection is needed for hunting.
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Post by whiterussian1974 »

I agree w Sucker. Supersonic crack is more noticable downrange b/c it's a Line Signal rather than the Point Signal of blast. So behind the rifle you don't get near as much as 30-90* from line of travel.

http://guns.connect.fi/ is a great resource for understanding the physics involved.
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314
hkmk23

Post by hkmk23 »

Thanks Guy's

That's what I needed to know, I did not like the idea of hand loading down to a pistol load and did not want to spend money on a silencer that would not do anything for me, the supersonic crack down range does not worry me, but the noise at the muzzle does.

I expect I will hand load eventually and come to some sort of compromise. I have been shooting .45acp thru my HK tactical using copper coated 200gr semi wad cutters with 4.2 gr of Vihtavuori N310 for a few years, fast burning but not quite as hot as factory so not so much recoil and a smooth action. But the 30-06 takes over 46gr which is a hell of a move up to start playing around with....

anyway thanks again for you input. I will re-post when I have a silencer fitted and chronoscoped. It relatively easy for my to buy a silencer here in France but there is no way to try them out first.
sucker76
Silent Operator

Post by sucker76 »

Just make sure whatever suppressor you get can handle the caliber you will shoot.
hkmk23

Post by hkmk23 »

sucker76 wrote:Hello and welcome. Right now i use factory Remington ammo. I use a Saker762 and its nice to shoot. The brake QD mount cuts down on recoil so my wife shoots it now and the suppressor cuts down noise at the rifle. There is a crack from the bullet traveling supersonic but i don't think hearing protection is needed for hunting.
Thanks for the welcome
Unfortunately the Saker 762 is just not available here and due to your regulations no one can ship one to me so I have to buy a French, Swiss or German one. Bit silly really as the Brugger & Thomet silencers are considered among the worlds best, I have one of those on my SIG pistol and the loudest noise is from the slide action.
sucker76
Silent Operator

Post by sucker76 »

hkmk23 wrote:
sucker76 wrote:Hello and welcome. Right now i use factory Remington ammo. I use a Saker762 and its nice to shoot. The brake QD mount cuts down on recoil so my wife shoots it now and the suppressor cuts down noise at the rifle. There is a crack from the bullet traveling supersonic but i don't think hearing protection is needed for hunting.
Thanks for the welcome
Unfortunately the Saker 762 is just not available here and due to your regulations no one can ship one to me so I have to buy a French, Swiss or German one. Bit silly really as the Brugger & Thomet silencers are considered among the worlds best, I have one of those on my SIG pistol and the loudest noise is from the slide

It sucks you can't get cans from the US and we can't get cans from the EU. I don't know anything about the suppressors available to you. That's why i said to make sure the construction can handle the cartridge you are using. For example 223/5.56 can be shot through a 22lr can but most won't last long because of the materials used.
Joker31D
Silent But Deadly

Post by Joker31D »

I used a B&T on a few missions in Afghanistan (Loaner from another team) it was very nice and it was a very well built can, I have a Saker 7.62 and think the B&T was better made, the french ones however were horrible. We shot one out every 2 months on a 5.56 with a 10" arrel.

It has a beard and its climbing mountains ... it must be a billy goat! wait, it has a Rifle!
40G27
Senior Silent Operator

Post by 40G27 »

Joker31D wrote:... the french ones however were horrible. ...
That statement applies to just about everything from France.
Joker31D
Silent But Deadly

Post by Joker31D »

That FAMAS is a work of art in being complicated, it runs like a Mexican Wristwatch. I had one for a day and decided I'd rather carry a rubber one than a real one, at least the rubber one wouldnt fall apart when I hit someone with it. My friend who is now an American citizen served in the Legion before the US Army, he said that nobody in the Legion would carry the FAMAS because they didnt trust it, I didnt listen and when I was assigned to teach a class to them in Afghanistan (Mission Prep) we had time on the last day to use the range for fun, the damn FAMAS jammed every mag reliably, in the middle and clearing it was a 10 second ordeal, which could have been 10 minutes in a firefight. The most reliable in the class was a Polish Beryl with a huge EOTech and a tiny barrel (No Pun) I didnt know Lancer made the mags until I looked at it up close. Loved shooting that thing, tried to get them to trade some M16A2's that were scheduled for destruction (I rebuilt them in country) but they wouldnt. would have loved to have carried one in the vehicle and for caves. none of our allies wanted M4's except for the French, we sent them some before each mission we had scheduled for joint operations because we wanted dependable backup.

You ever get your can for the 30-06?

JeffWard
Silent But Deadly

Post by JeffWard »

hkmk23 wrote:Hi,

I am new to this forum so please excuse any etiquette errors.

I have a 30-06 Sabatti Scout rifle, very nice but the kick is horrendous without the flash suppressor then the noise is huge.
Obviously it is already threaded for a silencer. My question is it seems quite a few of you are using silencers with 30-06 satisfactorily, could you tell me what load? Factory or handloads, I am being told I need to go subsonic with a silencer but of course that means 1000fps not 2800. I know sub/supersonic but all I want to do is reduce the noise to a reasonable level not try and get silent. All comments greatly appreciated. Fab forum.

I live in France and hunt wild boar and deer.

cheers
Shooting a 30-06 Subsonic eliminates the advantage of the huge case volume (power) of the 30-06. Once you drop a 30 caliber bullet subsonic (200-220gr), you have a 300BLK. You might as well carry a light weight 300BLK AR-15 (like I do).

Same goes for 308, etc... A subsonic 308, 30-06 is just a 300BLK... but with les consistent accuracy, due to the case volume/filler issues.

JW