Has anyone heard if Florida is planning....

Hunting in general, or with a suppressor.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

rem_pss308
Silent But Deadly

Has anyone heard if Florida is planning....

Post by rem_pss308 »

Some one came in the gunshop the other day and they said they heard it from a game warden that Florida is planning on allowing the use of silencers for hunting. Has anyone else heard this? I searched and cant find anything on it. It would be nice if they did like Ga.

Thanks for any responses

MIke
I'll keep my money, My Guns, and My Freedom. You can keep the change !!!!
RJT
Silent But Deadly

Re: Has anyone heard if Florida is planning....

Post by RJT »

I was bored at work today, so I shot Florida F&WCC an email.

Here is their response..........

"That topic will actually come up in tomorrow's commission meeting. If the 7 commissioners seem favorable to the idea, draft rule language could be proposed which might get voted on during the September meeting. That would be the quickest time frame that it could become a legal method of take. But that would be if everything went smooth and there were no objections to their usage."
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Storm7

Post by Storm7 »

RJT wrote:I was bored at work today, so I shot Florida F&WCC an email.

Here is their response..........

"That topic will actually come up in tomorrow's commission meeting. If the 7 commissioners seem favorable to the idea, draft rule language could be proposed which might get voted on during the September meeting. That would be the quickest time frame that it could become a legal method of take. But that would be if everything went smooth and there were no objections to their usage."
If this goes through in FL, would someone post the fact (w/ a source, if possible) in this thread. I'm maintaining a map of states that allow hunting with suppressors, and post updates to it, in that thread. I monitor the thread for new posts, so I'll know when you post. Thanks.
rem_pss308
Silent But Deadly

Post by rem_pss308 »

updated response from FWC:

Mr. S where hunting wild hog is allowed with firearms, suppressors are already allowed.
At last weeks commission meeting, commissioners approved advertisement of a proposal that would remove a prohibition on the use of noise suppressors with rifles and pistols when hunting game species( deer, gray squirrel, rabbits, wild turkeys, qual, and crows. a final vote on the proposal by the commission will occur at the November meeting.

You can go here and see the agenda, and the proposed rule.
http://www.myfwc.com/about/commission/c ... 10/agenda/
Storm7

Post by Storm7 »

It looks like the final vote on hunting (certain) game animals in Florida will be this week.

http://www.myfwc.com/about/commission/c ... 20/agenda/
rcn11thacr
Silent But Deadly

Post by rcn11thacr »

rem_pss308 wrote:
Mr. S where hunting wild hog is allowed with firearms, suppressors are already allowed.

Hunting with suppressors has never been allowed. The above quote if correct would have negated the whole premise of needing to change the rule in the first place, this is simply not true and it never has been. Read the attached link where there is zero speculation regarding the use of a suppressor: (prior to this writing anyway)
http://myfwc.com/hunting/regulations/taking-game/
Keep in mind that this website is the old version as does not reflect the new regulation allowing the use of suppressors for hunting and proves my point.

BTW; The use of suppressors has now been approved for the entire state of Florida as of November 20st. Great news! But be forewarned that multiple websites have their facts all screwed up. Even nra-ila states that the use of a can was already allowed. How a nra website can get that screwed up is beyond me.
Blackhorse Scout
rem_pss308
Silent But Deadly

Post by rem_pss308 »

rcn11thacr I had an email from the FWC verifying that it was already allowed to hunt hogs. they also stated that it was legal to hunt with a suppressor on a shotgun. just not on rifles or pistols for deer and animals other than hogs. so before 11-20 it was legal to hunt deer with a silenced shotgun.
rcn11thacr
Silent But Deadly

Post by rcn11thacr »

Being one that follows the law thats written on the actual website and on the papers that the fwc gives out, i have only to say that it is written in those places that its not legal. Did the email you get quote a particular law or sub title of a law that clarifys this? If this has been the law i'd sure like to know why the website clearly states suppressors are not legal for use when hunting, so does the pamplets that they give out for each of the WMA's.
Blackhorse Scout
Storm7

Post by Storm7 »

About a year ago I emailed FWC for information on the what, where and when of suppressed hunting in Florida. Below is the exchange I had with them. My interpretation from their replies is, Furbearers (bobcats, otters, raccoons, opossums, coyotes, beavers, skunks and nutrias), and Unprotected Mammals (Feral Hogs, Armadillos, Norway rats, black rats and house mice) could be taken on private land year round with a suppressed firearm, with the limitation that bobcat and otter can only be taken from Dec. 1 until Mar. 1. Hunting on public lands with a suppressor was prohibited, and hunting any game with a suppressor was prohibited.

I hope this helps.

Correspondence With FWC:
Sent: Wednesday, October 16, 2013 3:55 PM
To: Customer Service
Subject: Ask FWC: Hunting with a firearms silencer in Florida

I was recently informed that Florida allows the hunting on non-game animals on private land with a silenced firearm. Can you confirm this, or tell me if there are any other conditions wherein one may hunt in Florida with a silenced firearm?

=====

Sent: Wednesday, October 16, 2013 2:43 PM
To: Storm7
Subject: Re: Ask FWC: Hunting with a firearms silencer in Florida

Game may not be taken with a silencer equipped firearm. Furbearers and unprotected mammals may be taken with a silenced firearm
§ Resident game birds—quail and wild turkeys
§ Resident game mammals—deer, gray squirrels and rabbits
Furbearers—bobcats, otters, raccoons, opossums, coyotes, beavers, skunks and nutrias
Unprotected mammals: Feral Hogs, Armadillos, Norway rats, black rats and house mice.

=====

Sent: Wednesday, October 16, 2013 4:54 PM
To: Customer Service

Is this restricted to private lands only, or can these animals be taken on public lands as well?

=====

Sent: Wednesday, October 16, 2013 3:10 PM
To: Storm7

Furbearers (except otter and bobcat) and unprotected mammals may be hunted year round on private lands. Bobcat and otter are hunted Dec. 1-March 1.

Hunting is only allowed during established seasons on wildlife management area and hunting with a silencer equipped firearm is prohibited.
rem_pss308
Silent But Deadly

Post by rem_pss308 »

Mine said what storm7 letter said.
rcn11thacr
Silent But Deadly

Post by rcn11thacr »

Ever spend 20 minutes writing, hit the wrong button and lose it all? Yep thats me right now. Suffice to say i've spent the last few hours reading the actual regulations and in no location does it state hunting with suppressors were legal. The end result of all of this; i'm happy to know its legal as of Nov 21st. I'll be much happier when its in print, in the law book. Thanks for the informative data guys.
Blackhorse Scout
ghost169

Post by ghost169 »

NOVEMBER 21, 2014 FLORIDA MADE IT LEGAL TO HUNT WITH SUPPRESSORS FOR DEER, SQUIRREL AND SOME OTHERS I CANNOT REMEMBER THEM ALL.
Joker31D
Silent But Deadly

Post by Joker31D »

Yep totally legal now, Wahoo!
Visit my Wounded Hunter Project Blog!
https://woundedhunterproject.wordpress.com/

It has a beard and its climbing mountains ... it must be a billy goat! wait, it has a Rifle!