any body hunt with a suppressed 45 acp carbine

Hunting in general, or with a suppressor.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

da bugman
Senior Silent Operator

any body hunt with a suppressed 45 acp carbine

Post by da bugman »

I built two 45 carbines , a sako single shot action switch barrel rig ,16 Mcgowen 1x14 twist, and a magtec upper cut back to 10 " and a sig brace added to make it a pistol. both threaded for my sir/coastal 458 socom,sub gun can. bolt gun very quite, mag tec being blow back you hear some action noise. I have only fired cheep 230 gr fmj round nose. mag tec shoots about 2" at 50, bolt gun not quite as good. I have some 250 gr hornady to try ftx. any body got load data for a carbine? If you hunted with the acp how did it work out.

JD
redbullitt

Re: any body hunt with a suppressed 45 acp carbine

Post by redbullitt »

I bet that thing is super quiet and a blast to shoot... I would love to have one of those to play with.

I would think you could get decent hunting performance since it would be very easy to find bullets that would expand subsonic.
hunter2
Silent But Deadly

Post by hunter2 »

I use Hydra-Shok in a Thureon Defense 16" with Thompson Machine and get 2" at 100 yds. Have never shot anything past 100 yds.. Drops very little at 150..
da bugman
Senior Silent Operator

Post by da bugman »

redbullitt wrote:I bet that thing is super quiet and a blast to shoot... I would love to have one of those to play with.

I would think you could get decent hunting performance since it would be very easy to find bullets that would expand subsonic.

Very quite with the large sub gun can rated to 458 socom subs only With the bolt gun you here very little. Just found some hornady 300 gr 45 acp bullets that should work well on anyrhing

JD
da bugman
Senior Silent Operator

Post by da bugman »

hunter2 wrote:I use Hydra-Shok in a Thureon Defense 16" with Thompson Machine and get 2" at 100 yds. Have never shot anything past 100 yds.. Drops very little at 150..

Have you killed deer or hogs with it, if so what load?
jlwilliams
Silent But Deadly

Post by jlwilliams »

I used to have a SIA 45 Enfield conversion with a CAC45. It was accurate within the distance of the round. I think the longest live shot I took was on a fox at 80 yards (paced after the shot, not really measured.) It hit him squarely and rolled him like a rag doll. I used to shot mostly 240 grain factory loads. Ball for plinking and hollow point for live stuff. I wasn't using really top shelf rounds, but they weren't Wolf either. I think I used mostly Remington green box jhp. It's a big enough slug that it worked well on the small to medium sized critters I used it on.
hunter2
Silent But Deadly

Post by hunter2 »

da bugman wrote:
hunter2 wrote:I use Hydra-Shok in a Thureon Defense 16" with Thompson Machine and get 2" at 100 yds. Have never shot anything past 100 yds.. Drops very little at 150..

Have you killed deer or hogs with it, if so what load?
230 gr Hydra Shok on small deer and varmints up to 50 lbs. Works great but has range limitations.