Squirrell Hunting w/ Suppressor?

Hunting in general, or with a suppressor.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Dave3220
Silent Operator

Squirrell Hunting w/ Suppressor?

Post by Dave3220 »

Has anyone just sat under a tree in a likely spot and shot several squirrels with his or her suppressed .22LR?

I know of one gent who still hunts the woodlot back of his house with an extremely fine custom low-wall in .22 Short that is pretty quiet, but I have wondered just how well a silenced rifle would do from a stationary position of more than one squirrel .

Dave3220
ThunderStick

Post by ThunderStick »

I have all in the works at this time. One of the main reasons I have jumped through the hoops was for an ultra quiet squirrel rifle. I know I have shot them with CCI target shorts from a long barrell rifle and they don't seem to notice before several shots are off. When their buddies start falling through the branches everybody else starts to sence the gig is up and makes tracks. This has been my experence with grays, fox are a different story, there sorta dullards anyway.
Dave3220
Silent Operator

Suppressed Squirrel Rifle...

Post by Dave3220 »

I, too, have waited a long time to get a "legal" suppressor.
My SRT Commanche is at the dealers waiting on the paperwork to come back from the scarey alphabet soup dept.

I have two 10-22's to get threaded for it, and at least one .
The Clark barreled 10-22 is as accurate as my old M-52 Win..
The factory heavy barrel was dissapointing in the accurascy dept. (Came wiht a nice trigger, tho.)
Perhaps it will shoot better with it's barrel shortened to 16 1/4"?

I am anxious to try the suppressor on squirrels as I think it will make a real difference.

Dave3220
ripper

Post by ripper »

Squirrel Hunting is the primary reason for my SWR Spectre suppressor, and yes it's a highly effective and satisfying means to take squacks.

Click....."Thwok" is the only sound you hear as the hammer strikes the firing pin, and the bullet impacts the squirrel. :)

The woods remain undisturbed as the squirrel falls from the tree, and multiple kills from the same spot are very common.
Wahoo95
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wahoo95 »

Yes multiple kills are easy. Got two yesterday with head shots....first shot went right over the first ones head causing him to look up but still sit there. Second shot got him right as his buddy was coming down the tree at which time I dropped him as well. I was using a CZ452 w/TAC65 and Aguila 38gr Subs which is a pretty quiet combo.
Go Hoos!!!!
ThunderStick

Post by ThunderStick »

I finaly took possesion of my Outback II on Dec. 28th. :D

I haven't been able to take it hunting yet, but I have shot it some, boy is it quiet! I don't see how it couldn't help your hunting. A rifle is so much more chalenging than a shotgun for squirell hunting and I can't wait to take it to the woods before the season is out.
Dave3220
Silent Operator

Good "kit" for squirrel (or subsistance) hunter...

Post by Dave3220 »

I think the suppressor will be super.
The good possibility of being able to shoot more than one squirrel from a good location has more appeal to me since I don't walk very well or very far any more, as well as the teo-whatever scenarios.

My SRT is HERE and rifles are (slowly :-( having their muzzles threaded for a snug fit.
I'me having a factory HB 10-22 in LR and an old boltaction Mossberg in WMR done first.
If results really pan out well, I'll get my self-loading H&K in WMR and my CLark barreled folding stock 10-22 done as well.

Dave
ThunderStick

Post by ThunderStick »

I got into the woods with it today! I brought out 8 and hit 3 that got away! :shock: I was doing a slow stalking hunt, take 2-4 steps and wait 5 mins, then repeat, kill a squirrel, you get the picture.
One fox and the rest grays. I don't know if you would be able to sit under one tree and just pop'em all evening, but I sure didn't disturb the woods like using a rifle unsupressed. I took more than one from the same stand a few times and had squirrels run TWARDS me when I hit, or missed, it or another squirrel! If you are a squirrel hunter you already know grays are much more wary than fox, and the grays didn't even act like they had been shot at if in a tree and the miss went by them. I think they hear the bullet impact behind them and run twards the shooter!
I was using CCI segmented sshp and Aguila 38gr hp ammo. Word to the wise on the segmented ammo, if you plan on eating it, make sure you put it in the head or across the lungs! It tore them up about like my 17hm2 on a head shot, the rest I shot with the Aguila rounds. Both are quiet.
Another thing I noticed is that the closer the shot, the less noise in the woods. They still make a hiss, WACK at longer ranges. Up close it is sorta click, WACK! :D I strongly suggest using the supressor if it's legal in your state. I wouldn't go with out mine!
hoss
Silent But Deadly

Re: Squirrell Hunting w/ Suppressor?

Post by hoss »

Dave3220 wrote:Has anyone just sat under a tree in a likely spot and shot several squirrels with his or her suppressed .22LR?
Yep.
Either my High Standard Matchking from AWC (circa 1982) or my newer Ruger Mk III/45 from Franks Guns. I can usually get 2-4 before they catch on.
Hoss
AJE
Silent But Deadly

Post by AJE »

Don't limit yourself to just squirrels :D

Landry308
Elite Industry Professional

Post by Landry308 »

It would be illegal, but I "suspect" it would work real well on wood ducks in flooded timber, also.
Shooting Supplies
Class 3/SOT
Sales, Transfers, Special orders