Is it ok to kill squirrels, birds, etc for fun?

Hunting in general, or with a suppressor.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Is it ok to shoot squirrels just for fun?

Yes
53%
No
47%

Total votes: 672

Crunchtyme

Post by Crunchtyme »

this is from the US Code

TITLE 16 > CHAPTER 7 > SUBCHAPTER II > § 703Prev | Next § 703. Taking, killing, or possessing migratory birds unlawful

a) In general
Unless and except as permitted by regulations made as hereinafter provided in this subchapter, it shall be unlawful at any time, by any means or in any manner, to pursue, hunt, take, capture, kill, attempt to take, capture, or kill, possess, ............any migratory bird, any part, nest, or eggs of any such bird, or any product, whether or not manufactured, which consists, or is composed in whole or part, of any such bird or any part, nest, or egg thereof, ..............................

Sniping birds from the bird bath, may not be such a good idea.
Blaster7Romeo
Silent But Deadly

Post by Blaster7Romeo »

Well the key word there is "migratory" Not all birds migrate.
[url=http://militarysignatures.com][img]http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member2935.png[/img][/url]
will36
Silent But Deadly

Post by will36 »

1928A1 wrote:I don't eat them either, but I give them to people who do.

Suppressed 10/22's did this in one afternoon. 5 came from one pecan tree.

Thats what Im talking about that is why I got my suppressed 10/22.

Thats a good start on a big pot of squirrel dumplings you have there. :D
jppd47
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by jppd47 »

When I was a child I used to shoot small birds with a BB gun and feed them to my cats. Now I would not shoot an animal unless it was going to be eaten by me or someone else. I've never skinned any animal but have be thinking about hitting up a few squirrels around here and trying it out and probably make a stew out of em.
I would also consider killing animals causing problems, but the only problems with animals i've had so far is my dogs dug up and ate a tomato plant on me, but I didn't fence it off.
pro-gun gun owners are a minority.
Fair Use applies (U.S. Code Title 17 Chapter 1 Subsection 107)
Davo5o
Silent But Deadly

Post by Davo5o »

I just shot 3 large marmots and 5 squirrels with my P22 and Prodigy yesterday in the mountains backpacking. One of the marmots head was the only thing visible at over 50yrds and I smoked his ass. My dog loves to hunt.
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free." -Goethe
JacksonBrowne
Silent But Deadly

Post by JacksonBrowne »

Damn...my friend just got a P22 with a Sierra can inbound. I was having a pretty hard time keeping a 4" group at 12 or 13 yards. A bird at 50 yards survived an entire magazine since (I didn't yet realize it was 2" low and right at the shorter distance I grouped later). Someone has been practicing...
07/02 SOT
Davo5o
Silent But Deadly

Post by Davo5o »

Or I just got Lucky. :lol:

If I tried 10 times I doubt if I could make that shot again.
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free." -Goethe
JacksonBrowne
Silent But Deadly

Post by JacksonBrowne »

That sounds like a lot of fun. The closest thing here to mountainous land would be the large dirt mound at my friend's farm. I'm taking the 310 to Santa Fe in a couple of hours; they'd probably storm my house like Frankenstein's castle if I shot a raven while hiking there...so, I may take out a couple yet just to piss them off.
07/02 SOT
Davo5o
Silent But Deadly

Post by Davo5o »

I was in the Spanish Peaks Lee Metcalf Wilderness area just north of Big Sky and Moonlight Basin. Very high population of Griz, Black bear, Mountain lion, Wolves. Needless to say my head was on a swivel. This is only 40 miles north of Yellowstone, so it's some prime hunting area. There are so many huckle berries it's amazing. They aren't producing right now other wise the bears would be all over it like stink on sh*t. I might have to go back up there in the fall and pull out a nice black bear or lion. The tags are only 20$ and you can hunt bear in both spring and fall, along with cat for 30$. I love MT!!!
kassenz
Silent But Deadly

Post by kassenz »

My dad and girlfriend are basically vegitarian. I didn't eat much meat growing up. Now, I have no problem cleaning a fish or bird. I would LOVE to go hunting if I had someone experienced to go with. I think its good for people to learn what it takes to put food on the table. Taking the animal yourself puts things into prospective.

When I was younger, I remember we shot at little birds, squirrels, even raccoons and possums with airguns, paintball guns and CB loads in the .22
The small birds, we'd shoot just to see if we could hit them. Most of the time we would bury them in the garden. My cousins Weimereiner would eat the birds too, bones and all. The squirrels looked diseased, like they were about to die of rabies. Bald spots, covered in lice. We were probably doing them a favor. The raccoons we left alone, except when they would eat all the plumbs and cherries, and then s--t all over the deck or roof of the motorhome. The racoons would eat the neighbors cats and kittens. Possums are just weird animals. Airguns and CB's aren't enough to kill them humanely. Maybe I am sick. I was curious and young, it just amazing to me the accuracy and killing power of a well placed bullet.

Watch prairie dogs get blasted by 50cal:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ppx-kDb1xi4

I lived in the city limits, so Im sure the neighbors didn't like us shooting, but we had a safe place that was below ground level on a slope enclosed by dirt/cement/house. I've never lived in an area where owning and shooting guns was common. Well, theres no place nearby within 3 hour rive you can openly shoot outdoors anymore. Most of the Forrest shooting pits within an hour drive got taken away because of litter or burned stolen vehicals. We used to try shooting different things with different bullets. Glasers, black talons, Golden Sabers on Beef, Pork, wet phone books. Try shooting cubes of butter. Ice. Finger jello. I dont shoot as much as I used to, I mostly collect guns now.
tylermtech
Silent But Deadly

Post by tylermtech »

Blaster7Romeo wrote:Well the key word there is "migratory" Not all birds migrate.
There are only 3 birds in the us that are not considered migratory birds in the US.

The starling, the house sparrow and the Pigeon. all other birds are protected.
sniper7
Silent Operator

Post by sniper7 »

I don't really have any squirrels around here, but I have shot them in the mountains when i was young. I kill prairie dogs all the time. i HATE them.
I usually only kill to eat except for summer rabbits to keep their numbers in check as they go insane out behind my house and the prairie dogs. If I could single handedly wipe them out, i would!
horizonanr

Post by horizonanr »

I don't need for something to die just to confirm that I've solved a marksmanship problem.
Derf
Silent But Deadly

Post by Derf »

I've been going to my buddy's ranch in MT every summer for the past 8 years shooting praire dogs. It is absolutly amazing the amount of devistation they can cause.....same with a 32gr V-max at almost 4000fps
coyote223
Silent But Deadly

Post by coyote223 »

I don't see anything wrong with it. Everyone has different feelings/morals on it. My take is don't preach to me how wrong you think it is, I won't preach to you how much fun I think it is.

Sorry, there is nothing more fun than sitting on the edge of an Alf Alfa field Killing Sage Rats IMHO. Predator Hunting is a lot of fun too.
smcharchan
Silent But Deadly

Post by smcharchan »

paco ramirez
Silent But Deadly

Post by paco ramirez »

Kind of makes me want to get a .17HMR. How does it compare to .22 Mag?
smcharchan
Silent But Deadly

Post by smcharchan »

paco ramirez wrote:
Paco, I think they are very comparable (read: not all that different). I frequent rimfirecentral.com, and you can see many heated debates regarding which is "better" on that site.

Just my opinion: I think the 22mag is better for larger critters like coons and foxes, and it makes a better "survival" rifle or truck gun. The 17HMR is downright fun. It can make a squirrel's head explode (as can the 22mag) and it is easier to find an extremely accurate gun/ammo combination.

I have them both. Which one I shoot is more based on my mood than on having an advantage over the other. Let me know if you have any more questions.
DEVIL DOC
Silent But Deadly

Post by DEVIL DOC »

ArevaloSOCOM wrote:Yes.

They can be pests.

You don't have to eat something to "kill it".

I don't see anyone eating bees, spiders, ants, roaches,moles, mice, rats, ......................

:wink:
Well I guess you never had cortland pick you up in his yellow solstice (while wearing his best come hither outfit) and take you home for some insects on the barbi, his wolf-spider quartet is simply to die for.
paco ramirez
Silent But Deadly

Post by paco ramirez »

smcharchan wrote:
paco ramirez wrote:
Paco, I think they are very comparable (read: not all that different). I frequent rimfirecentral.com, and you can see many heated debates regarding which is "better" on that site.

Just my opinion: I think the 22mag is better for larger critters like coons and foxes, and it makes a better "survival" rifle or truck gun. The 17HMR is downright fun. It can make a squirrel's head explode (as can the 22mag) and it is easier to find an extremely accurate gun/ammo combination.

I have them both. Which one I shoot is more based on my mood than on having an advantage over the other. Let me know if you have any more questions.
Thanks for the info. My dad has a .22 Mag, so I guess I'll just use it for squirrel hunting. I'm getting a Mossberg 590A1 instead of a .17HMR, since the .22 Mag is adequate.
slowtarfet

Post by slowtarfet »

if they are a nuisance I say shot them..along with fox, raccoon, deer, feral cats stay dogs. I dont like to shoot anything and not eat it.. but if we shoot deer here in ohio,as nuisance, like doing crop damage it is against the law to eat them, we can drag them out of field but then we have to leave them lay and rot. and the other side of it is. most the time when someone is shooting at wild life that is a nusance it is in warm weather and meat wontkeep long enough to get it butchered, .. cold weather we eat almost everything we shoot.. if we are not eating it we are selling the hides

first post hope I dont look to dumb
c_bass16
Silent But Deadly

Post by c_bass16 »

I must say i was somewhat supprised by the "NEER" 50/50 vote on this topic, but understand where a lot of you are coming from.
As a youth, I got my first BB gun at around age 6 and by 7 I had been reprimanded supremely for my lack of respect for the gift. Partially my fathers fault for not teaching me proper firearm respect. (I had forgotten it out in my "fort" and 2 days later the large pile of trees that served as my fort was burned to the ground, gun included.
I had to work for the right to receive a 2nd BB gun, this time the good ole Powerline 880, complete with a scope and lead pellets. talk about "holy s--t" for a 7-8 year old.
My dad took extra steps to walk me through basics of shooting, hunting, firearm safety and respect for my things (this included a few smacks from a leather slipper if memory serves me). Started out shooting pop cans and eventually camera flim canisters and then onto barn swallows and gophers that s--t on the cars and tore up the yard. Then onto black birds, sparrows and rabbits. By age 8 i was laying prone in my barn for hours on end shooting mice as they would run along the walls and foundation. This is also when i got my first upgrade in weaponry. My dad taught me how to shoot his 12ga Ithaca, breaking 20ga, bolt .410 and his good ole 22LR with the 15 shot mag tube. From then on, it was a daily after school occurance...shoot a few rabbits, maybe a dove or two.
I have been shooting things my whole life, I have shot feral dogs(very common in western SD), stray cats, most every non game animal in the state...including FLIPPIN CARP. When the water gets low, we drive down the creek on the 4 wheeler and shoot them with the steel in the shotty.
All in all, I can only think of feeling "guilt" one time for shooting an animal and it was on inexperience and not knowing my rifle while on a deer hunt. i will save you the details but it was wounded multiple times and suffered a LOT before i tracked it down for the final shot.
Besides that, the family dogs have eaten very well in the last 25 years.

ImageImage
Hurdle the dead, Trample the weak, and let the good times roll.
USMC1986
Silent Operator

Re:

Post by USMC1986 »

rsilvers wrote:When my dog caught the opossum and had it in his jaws I asked him to drop it. I felt bad about him about to kill it. Of course I did not know what it was. I might have let him have it if it happened now knowing they are pests.
Oppossum are pests with a serious potential problem, as are racoons. They can both carry rabies and leptospirosis - both are bad juju for pets and are transmittable to humans. Leptospirosis can be spread to you or your dog/cat from the pests urine, dew on the grass keeps it alive until Fido or Fluffy come along and sniff it up and are infected.

We have stray dogs and cats that end up being a serious problem out here. Dogs will form a pack quickly and can harm humans and cattle. If I see a dog chasing cattle, deer, horses or without a collar/tags in rural areas so much as look at me the wrong way it gets put down. I do like dogs but I've seen the damage feral dogs can do to livestock or people and I don't take the chance.

If squirrel is considered a game animal in your State then just shooting them is against the law. If not, it's your decision. I'd at least base your decision on that and whether you have predators that will readily eat them in your area - i.e. coyotes, fox, hawks. Owl etc. I wouldn't feel good about shooting more that 1 or 2 based on predator criteria. I have several folks around that are more than willing to take them to eat if I have the opportunity to shoot more.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Re: Is it ok to kill squirrels, birds, etc for fun?

Post by doubloon »

HOLY CRAP!

This thread has a better resurrection record than Jesus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
Blaster7Romeo
Silent But Deadly

Re: Is it ok to kill squirrels, birds, etc for fun?

Post by Blaster7Romeo »

Well i am now a few years older and still feal the same way..

I like to kill things! sometimes for no reason what so ever! and there are some people that I know that are only alive to this day because it is illegal to kill them! and i don't want to go to jail.. Dose that make me a bad person? to some people it would.. but that is why i felt at home in the army because it was my job to kill things :lol:

But you know what this reminds me i have not killed anything in while! i have been slack i just don't want to go out looking for anything anymore in my old age I may need reinstate the "Critter a day" rule lol i have a raccoon that likes to get in my trash lol
[url=http://militarysignatures.com][img]http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member2935.png[/img][/url]