Is it ok to kill squirrels, birds, etc for fun?

Hunting in general, or with a suppressor.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Is it ok to shoot squirrels just for fun?

Yes
53%
No
47%

Total votes: 672

silencertalk
Site Admin

Is it ok to kill squirrels, birds, etc for fun?

Post by silencertalk »

I am sure I would have fun if I shot some squirrels, but it seems sadistic to kill an animal just for casual fun. What are people's thoughts on this?
Blaster7Romeo
Silent But Deadly

Post by Blaster7Romeo »

Well call me a sick Basterd if you will but I do it all the time. But the squires do get in my trash eat, the dogs food. I do try to stay inside the hunting season most of the time. And I will add that i do go and pick them up and skin them out to eat, 75% of the time But I don’t think it is the end of the world if I don’t, I have way to many at my house.

I shoot a Crow every time I get a chance. And leave him laying where he falls. As for little song birds, when ever I just feel like it I do, but I usually just consider it practice for dove, duck and goose hunting season. I love to hunt, or just kill all kinds things. All of the guns I own I did not my to shoot paper just cridders, Except for my over under shotgun, and that is for Sporting clays, BUT I shoot sporting clays to make me better at killing birds.

I dont think Mother Earth will cry if you kill a few little tweedy birds.

The Sick Basterd
B7R
Suputin
Silent But Deadly

Post by Suputin »

Gophers, we kill them by the thousands .... by the tens of thousands. But then they are really a varmint so maybe thats a different thing?
montanabound
Silent But Deadly

Post by montanabound »

The only thing I can add is that if they're becoming so many then by all means thin them out. My parents had the issue of squirrels making their way into the bird feeders which was nothing more than a nuisance . But once my dad , @ 62 yrs, was climbing to the flue on a 2 story house off an extension ladder to put stainless mesh up to keep them out, I told him I'd get rid of a few.That was 12 yrs. ago and I'm still going over there @ least every 2-3 yrs.My parents do have 17 acres in the middle of noooowherrrrrre, so with they're property and the woods of the surrounding neighbors migrating squirrels are a problem. As for birds I can't say unless it's a problem bird like starlings,etc. Generally I don't kill it for fun unless it'll see the dinner table.
Cortland

Post by Cortland »

Absolutely not.

Kill it to eat it? Fine.
Kill it because it gets into your trash/crops/etc.? If you have to.
Kill it for shooting practice? No way.
Kill it for fun? Hell no.

Taking pleasure in killing something makes you sick in the head. The only animals I've ever shot are a few beavers that were damming up a spillway on part of my parents property. This would've put a stretch of their driveway underwater so clearly the beavers had to go. Legally I think they should've been trapped but shooting is more humane IMO.
Last edited by Cortland on Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blaster7Romeo
Silent But Deadly

Post by Blaster7Romeo »

Blaster7Romeo wrote:Well call me a Sick Basterd

:D
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

In my life I have shot one bird, one raccoon, one boar (that was a hunting trip). That is about it. I felt bad for all of them except the boar (which I was planning to eat). I would have no problem shooting rats or varmints (things which were causing a problem), but I never run into pesty animals.
1928A1
Silent But Deadly

Post by 1928A1 »

Its illegal here to shoot game animals and just leave it there.

Regulation 19.01 AGFC
19.01 WASTING EDIBLE PORTION OF WILDLIFE PROHIBITED. It
07-80/12-05 shall be unlawful to allow the edible portion of any game, fish, bird or frog
normally consumed as food to go to waste. In addition, it shall be unlawful to
kill wildlife and discard any portion which has a legal marketable or
commercial value.
EXCEPTION:
(1) Crows, bobcats, coyotes and skunks.
(2) Squirrel tails, deer antlers, deer hides and feathers from nonmigratory
game birds legally taken.
(3) Nuisance wildlife taken in accordance with Commission Codes 18.09
and 18.09A.
(4) All rough fish (gars, bowfin, common carp, grass carp, bighead carp,
silver carp, suckers and drum) excluding buffalo.
PENALTY: $250.00 to $1,000.00.
07FFL 02 SOT
Mongo
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mongo »

rsilvers wrote:In my life I have shot one bird, one raccoon, one boar (that was a hunting trip). That is about it. I felt bad for all of them except the boar (which I was planning to eat). I would have no problem shooting rats or varmints (things which were causing a problem), but I never run into pesty animals.
Well I know that the North East is filled with 2 legged pest. You're just not looking hard enough :P
Slick
Silent But Deadly

Post by Slick »

Personally, I did not enjoy shooting animals the couple of times I went hunting. I understand the need for varmint/pest/animal population control, but I'm not a big fan of hunting. That being said, I don't care if other people do it. It's just not for me.

I would consider killing for "fun" only to be morally wrong, but that's between the killer and his god.
Fargo
Silent But Deadly

Post by Fargo »

Growing up, we shot squirrels when they became overpopulated. It was fun so I guess I am a sick bastard. :twisted:
I love scotch. Scotchy, scotch, scotch. Here it goes down, down to my belly...
MPfiveengineer
Silent But Deadly

Post by MPfiveengineer »

I have committed genocide on the snapping turtles at my dad's lake house in East Texas. The reason I killed them in my youth was because I thought it was fun, but I killed them latter because they were overpopulated.
�A wise man will often simplify the complicated, while a fool will complicate the simple�
ArevaloSOCOM
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by ArevaloSOCOM »

Yes.

They can be pests.

You don't have to eat something to "kill it".

I don't see anyone eating bees, spiders, ants, roaches,moles, mice, rats, ......................

:wink:
NFAtalk.org
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

Squirrels can be pests, but they have never been pests to me. I think it would be fun to shoot at something, but I am trying to figure out if I am in the minority for not doing it in spite of it being fun.

Actually there are some bugs (non-mean-looking spiders) that I don't squash and instead move them outside. If they are mosquitoes or something that bites, I will kill it.

I killed some frogs as a kid, and ants with a magnifier, but I wish I did not.
Wiley
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wiley »

I have found killing to be distasteful to me. I have dove and deer hunted and still do on occasion, but it is more to spend time with my dad than to really hunt. When I was younger I had a few kill that were not very clean and I really did not like the way that felt. I do love deer lucky my dad gets more that enough. Thats good eaten.

I have no problem with hunting. I feel that hunting is very necessary due to the lack of apex predators. But killing solely for the fun of it just does not seem right.

Wiley

PS: Is it bad if you feel more remorse for four leged varmits than you do for the two leged ones.
Always cheat, always win. The only unfair fight is the one you lose.
Wiley
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wiley »

rsilvers wrote:Squirrels can be pests, but they have never been pests to me. I think it would be fun to shoot at something, but I am trying to figure out if I am in the minority for not doing it in spite of it being fun.
Squirrel hunting is very fun we just keep and clean them. One of my friend likes squirrel so we give them to him. I have not had the nerve to eat them yet.

Wiley
Last edited by Wiley on Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Always cheat, always win. The only unfair fight is the one you lose.
1928A1
Silent But Deadly

Post by 1928A1 »

I don't eat them either, but I give them to people who do.

Suppressed 10/22's did this in one afternoon. 5 came from one pecan tree.
07FFL 02 SOT
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

I would do it if I had someone who would eat them. Not much squirrel eating around here. Nor banjo playing.
Blaster7Romeo
Silent But Deadly

Post by Blaster7Romeo »

Well I am not saying i just go out and kill 10 or 15 squirrels or any other game anamal and leave them where they land... I just don't lose sleep if i cant find one or two of them. Or forget to clean them and have to throw them out.

BUT as for Pests (Including but not only) Crow, Bever, Oposom, Coyotes, Birds that s--t on my freshly washed truck, Also Stray dogs that s--t in my yard, knock over my trash can, piss on my tires, and get in a fight with my dog. I will and have shot them and not even thought about fealing bad about it.
Last edited by Blaster7Romeo on Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

Wow I would like never shoot a dog for just pissing in my yard. It would have to be about to bite me or my family. Dog and horses are two animals who accept humans as their pack leader -- and have a special status for me. They should not be killed or eaten without good reason (I feel). I don't see how you can own a dog but be so willing to shoot someone elses (unless by 'stray' you mean truly a wild dog who is as incompatible with humans as a wolf).
Blaster7Romeo
Silent But Deadly

Post by Blaster7Romeo »

rsilvers wrote:(unless by 'stray' you mean truly a wild dog who is as incompatible with humans as a wolf).
Yes. Stray meening no tags on it, and I meen more than just pissing in my yard, getting in trash fighing my or my grandmothers dog, or destroying proporty. Just plain being a nusence
stymie
Silent But Deadly

Post by stymie »

NOT a thrill KILLER... !

However, ANY animal, 2 legged OR 4 legged, that crosses the LINE...
WILL be terminated with extreme prejudice... !
:shock:
"My GOD can kick your god's ass!"
Blaster7Romeo
Silent But Deadly

Post by Blaster7Romeo »

stymie wrote: ANY animal, 2 legged OR 4 legged, that crosses the LINE...
WILL be terminated with extreme prejudice... !
:shock:
Yea that is prob how I should have said it, The thing is, "the line" Is diffrent for everyone, and every diffrent situation.
Paranoia
Silent But Deadly

Post by Paranoia »

Yes I kill em and feed them to the dogs better than alpo. Little tree rats like to chew holes in my water hose.

I guess I'm a sick bastard I enjoy killing critters.

silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

When my dog caught the opossum and had it in his jaws I asked him to drop it. I felt bad about him about to kill it. Of course I did not know what it was. I might have let him have it if it happened now knowing they are pests.