A couple of coyotes from this morning

Hunting in general, or with a suppressor.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

ATCDoktor
Silent But Deadly

A couple of coyotes from this morning

Post by ATCDoktor »

Here's a couple of coyotes a friend and I killed this morning.

The rifle is a Remington Model 700 SPS in 308 with AAC Muzzle brake.

Ammo 125 grain Sierra soft point with 47 grains of H4895.

Velocity was just under 3000 fps in the 20" barrel.

Muzzle brake was effective enough for me to watch the coyote drop/bullet impact in the scope.

Distance was 108 yards.

My friend got this one with his Savage 223 at 50 yards. 65 grain Sierra Spitzer Boat Tail and 25.5 grains of H4895. He shot him twice but I dont believe the second shot was necessary. You see on hole at the root of the tail (first shot running away) and another just forward of the shoulder near the neck. Both rounds passed through with half dollar sized exit wounds.

All in all it was a pretty good morning. Of 5 stands we called in two and killed both.

I was very impressed with the AAC brake (my friend however was not, as his ears are still ringing).

This was the first coyote killed with the Model 700 with the AAC brake installed and the muzzle of rifle stayed on the coyote during firing which, to me, speaks volumes to its effectiveness.

Without the Brake, the rifle moved under recoil just enough to lose the animal in the scope.

Mad respect to AAC for designing such an effective Brake.

Dr
BriggsRi
Silent But Deadly

Post by BriggsRi »

Awesome! Looks like you guys had a great day in the field...
gunguy
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunguy »

Looks good atk,why don't you use a 7.62sd on the sps?
AAC Cyclone-BRANDED FOR LIFE MEMBER
ATCDoktor
Silent But Deadly

Post by ATCDoktor »

gunguy, I have the 762SD that goes with the mount but the state of Arizona takes a dim view of suppressors and hunting :roll: .

They're not allowed for any species here in AZ, game or non game.

AZ Fish and Game will grant a special permit to allow for suppressed hunting of nuisance animals but it's granted on a case by case basis and even with a good reason they still balk.

One of our Federal LEO's had to jump thru his ass to get one to deal with coyote problem on the airfield where we work.

It took forever, was denied a couple of times and finally he had to sit down with the HMFIC of Fish and Game to explain why he needed it, where and under what circumstances it would be used.

He still got an earful of s--t but they finally issued a permit for him to take animals suppressed.

The scope of the permit only allows him to use it on the Military installlation where we work and is individual, suppressor, rifle specific.

Good thing is that New Mexico allows taking of all game species with a suppressor and I'm squaring away some time here in the near future to try and take some coyotes suppressed in the Land of Enchantment.
gunguy
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunguy »

Well thats the beauty of a good quality QUICK detach suppressor like the 7.62 sd :wink: . Bummer, in utah you can hunt just about anything with your suppressor. How do you like the remington sps?
504ranger
Silent But Deadly

Post by 504ranger »

ATCDoktor how often do you call when you set-up for coyotes. I'm trying to learn and I have an electronic call so I have been hitting the rabbit call for about 20 sec followed by coyote yips for 30 seconds. I do this about every 10 minutes or so.
I'm in Kansas and there is a decent mix of wooded areas and open areas so I've been setting up in the woods. Is open better? I've heard both so I thought I'd ask.
Congrats on the kills. Very cool.
peytont
Senior Silent Operator

Post by peytont »

called these two in saturday morning. Got the cat friday night. Can't wait to get back out.
ATCDoktor
Silent But Deadly

Post by ATCDoktor »

gunguy, my hunting partner is from SLC; I'll convince him that he and I need to head up that way and try our luck in Utah.

504, this is how I set up the stand and run the call:

If I can, I will always hunt from an elevated position, backed into natural cover, with the sun on my back and wind in my face. You can vary this to suit terrain, time of day, and wind direction but always have these items in your favor.

I position the call at least 50 and no more than 100 yards from where I set up. What I'm trying to do is get the coyote to circle between us and the call.

Volume is important so what you need to do is work with your call and in your head divide the sounds volume range into quarters.

When I start playing I start out at a little higher that 1/2 max volume and work down. I am constantly but evenly varying the pitch of the initial (and subsequent) series of calls between slightly higher than 1/2 max volume down to where I can barely hear it at the distance the call is placed from my stand. I do this for 3-4 minutes then I mute the call. Wait for 4-5 minutes and start again. Ill start out at the volume I stoped at (barely audible form 50 or so yards) and slowly increase to 3/4 volume and back down. I do this again and again, slowly and evenly for another 3-4 minutes and mute the call.

Next series I start out barely audible and work up to max/full volume and back down for the 3-4 minute time frame and mute the call. I usually do four series of calls per stand and sit for about 3 minutes after the last series before picking up and moving.

Your call should be muted more than its playing, we use a Fox Pro FX3 and while the call is playing I am constantly "pumping" the volume buttons while its playing. I'm running it up and running it down then mute after 3-4 mins.

The call should only be playing at the max volume for the series about 10-15 seconds before you start running it back down.

I have found that this varying of pitch drives them crazy.

I stay on a stand for 30 minutes, no less. If you move prior to 30 mins coyotes are showing up after your gone, I guaruntee it.

I don't know what kind of luck you have been having varying between the rabbit in distress and coyote yips but I would reccomend you give the one i've described a shot and see how you do.
504ranger
Silent But Deadly

Post by 504ranger »

Thanks a ton ATC. I will definitely try this technique next time I get out. If only KS allowed suppressors for hunting. :twisted:
ATCDoktor
Silent But Deadly

Post by ATCDoktor »

Peytont, my kids live in Texas and when I visit we spend a lot of time calling near their home.

The biggest bobcat I ever killed was in Texas. Our Arizona bobcats are a little puny in comparison to the ones I've shot in TX.

Arizona 2009

Texas 2008

Killer Instincts
Silent Operator

Post by Killer Instincts »

peytont wrote:called these two in saturday morning. Got the cat friday night. Can't wait to get back out.
Those are some seriously cool rigs, dude.

Also, nice animals, guys. I'm pissed that I'm missing out on winter 'Yote season in Colorado right now.
"You, my friend, are a highly educated and respected authority on all things frivolous." - my dad

Imagine there's no hippies.
PT709

Post by PT709 »

Man I would love to see a bobcat that big in my sights. Great job!
gunguy
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunguy »

ATC,does that rabbit decoy work?What kind of decoy is it?Do you recomend a decoy?
ATCDoktor
Silent But Deadly

Post by ATCDoktor »

gunguy, I highly recommend the use of a decoy.

It focuses the coyote/bobcats attention on an area away from the hunter and gives the hunter the oppurtunity to move/swing his gun in an attempt to make a good shot..

That being said, they can work against you.

The decoy in the pics with the coyotes is called the Mojo Critter and was our first time using it. It was extremely effective in drawing the coyotes attention and their response was super aggressive.

So aggressive no amount of barking or howling on my part could get them to stop charging the decoy and we had to take running shots.

To me thats a bad thing.

I like to control the animals movement with the call to a point where I can set up the shot. These coyotes were way out of control trying to get that decoy.

Decoys can also spook your game so you have to be careful where and how you set it up.

I was on a stand yesterday morning with this very same decoy and it scared the s--t (literally) out of the only coyote I called all day.

On this particular stand I was in heavy vegatation and he couldn't see it till he was right up on it. If he could have seen it farther out and processed what it was his response would most probably been the same as the others.

He saw that thing and was gone in a flash, running and shitting till he got out of sight.

The decoy in this picture is the one I have used for years. It was called the Predator Extreme Decoy back when I bought it, dont know what it's called nowadays. It's battery operated "Decoy Heart" with it's fur cover bobs around on the end of a stick.

That bobcat in the picture died right where it's lying. He had his nose pushed up against the decoy sniffing it when I pulled the trigger.

Again, I highly recomemnd the use of a decoy. My success ramped up considrably after I started using one. The fact that they may spook or rile game up once in a while is outweighed in my mind by the successes they promote.

Sorry for being long winded..

Dr
gunguy
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunguy »

Thanks, for all the good info ATC. I like the mojo decoy and thats probably what I will end up with. I noticed your dogs are blown wide open, do you tan the hides? I like the Berger bullets,they go clean through the dogs. Just some thoughts.