what states allow hunting with a suppressor?

Hunting in general, or with a suppressor.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Buzduk
Silent But Deadly

Post by Buzduk »

Removed
Last edited by Buzduk on Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bart

Post by bart »

No, best bet would be to call/email the DNR HQ and see what they say. A local field agent may not know the answer.
Irelander
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Irelander »

Illuminated_one wrote:I haven't been able to find anything saying either way for Idaho, does anyone know?
Thanks
Looks like a may be moving to Idaho Falls. Any update on hunting with a suppressor in Idaho?
yellowfin
Silent But Deadly

Re: Alabama

Post by yellowfin »

TROOPER wrote:
mizzu wrote:Silencers or Night vision are Illegal in Alabama. There goes my coyote night massacre I was planning :cry:
Don't give up hope. Is it possible that silencers and night vision are only illegal on game animals? And are coyote considered to be game animal?
Hunting of any kind with a suppressor is at the moment illegal in Alabama. This may be subject to change in the future if the right people can be gotten on board.
"You can't stop insane people from doing insane things with insane laws...it's insane!"-- Penn Jilette
http://www.NYShooters.net
technique408

Post by technique408 »

Illuminated_one wrote:I haven't been able to find anything saying either way for Idaho, does anyone know?
Thanks
Irelander wrote: Looks like a may be moving to Idaho Falls. Any update on hunting with a suppressor in Idaho?

For big game...No full auto, no electronic devices attached to the weapon (exempt scopes that are battery or tritium) and get this....your weapon can't weigh more than 16lbs.

No mention that hunting suppressed is illegal.

I think we are in the green!
http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/hunt/rules/bg/rules.pdf
bart

Post by bart »

Thanks, map has been updated on page 2.
700PSS
Elite Member

Post by 700PSS »

bart wrote:Thanks, map has been updated on page 2.
Thanks for your efforts. That helps us all. :)
Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Re: Connecticut

Post by Twinsen »

jppd47 wrote:CT says no hunting with a can

this is dated 1994:

Using a silencer on a firearm while hunting

Fine of $ 10 to $ 200, imprisonment for up to 60 days, or both (CGS Sec. 26-75)

This is dated 2002:

Restrictions on Rifles and Handguns
...It is also illegal:
...7. to use a silencer on any firearm while hunting (CGS § 26-75).
After starting to build a silenced hunting rifle. Sweet babies do I love government.
Garrett
Silent But Deadly

Post by Garrett »

I sent an email to the Utah Division of Wildlife resources several years ago asking about hunting with a silencer. They told me that there was no regulation against it, therefore it was legal.

Also, I had asked about using a machine gun for small game. Anything capable of full-auto fire is specifically prohibited on large game, but the regs are again silent on small game. I like to use an Uzi .22 with a can to help out the local farmers with their jackrabbit population.

I've gone looking to see if I ever saved that email, but it was from over a decade ago and is long gone.

I keep thinking one of these days I need to write a hard-copy letter, and get a physical paper response to keep on file.
ds762
Senior Silent Operator

Post by ds762 »

its also legal in MO
bart

Post by bart »

Updated the map. Did MO change the regs on ownership as well to allow individuals to own silencers?
Garrett
Silent But Deadly

Post by Garrett »

bart wrote:Updated the map. Did MO change the regs on ownership as well to allow individuals to own silencers?
Yeah - they've been legal to own here since Aug '08. Before that I had to keep all of my cans out of state.
grifter95
Silent But Deadly

Post by grifter95 »

kletzenklueffer I have a pretty good connection with one of Georgia's predominate congressmen who is on the committee that oversees the DNR and is very active in hunting legislation. I will push for his feelings about the existing laws when I see him next.
jack burton
Silent But Deadly

Post by jack burton »

ds762 wrote:its also legal in MO

Can you source this? I've looked through the regs and found something about machineguns(no), but didn't see anything about suppressors-Does lack of mention mean it's OK or do you have something more?
Garrett
Silent But Deadly

Post by Garrett »

jack burton wrote:
ds762 wrote:its also legal in MO
Can you source this? I've looked through the regs and found something about machineguns(no), but didn't see anything about suppressors-Does lack of mention mean it's OK or do you have something more?
You pretty well nailed it. Silencers have been illegal here for so long that nobody ever bothered to make it illegal to hunt with them - it was already illegal to simply possess them.

From what I understand, there is no law prohibiting one from using a silencer while hunting here.
Coyote

West Virginia

Post by Coyote »

Are silencers legal to use in West Virginia for hunting predators?
MD3C
Silent Operator

Nevada

Post by MD3C »

Does not mention it. Must be good to go.
Automatic weapons/fire are prohibited though.
M
USE OF DEADLY FORCE AUTHORIZED
Pinhead
Silent Operator

Post by Pinhead »

ponderer wrote:Kansas does not allow suppressors or silencers on weapons for hunting.
Kansas law is still under investigation; the "common sense" interpretation of the law says it's legal since silencers aren't mentioned. However, we're waiting for the KDWP's lead legal council to reply to my inquiry.

viewtopic.php?t=50995&highlight=
Islander
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Islander »

BachelorJack wrote:
BookHound wrote:
Jpick507 wrote:Whats the word on suppressed hunting in South Carolina? Anyone have any firm word on this. Ive been wondering as have a few others over on RFC.com... So far i think the word is that no where does it state that you may not hunt with a suppressor. (in the rules/regs book that is) That does not mean its legal i take it though...
I was going to go hunting in SC with some friends recently. Trip didn't work out for me, but I called SC's DNR and spoke to a ranger who said it was fine as long as it wasn't a "managed" hunt area/county. My friend couldn't believe that and wanting it in writing. I couldn't get DNR to send me anything in writing and, frankly, when the trip fell apart for me I put that on the back burner. I found nothing in thier regs against it though.

Too bad we are looking for written permisson to use a legal tool (silencer) for a legal activity (hunting). Unless something is forbidden in the regs or some law, all else should be okay, IMHO. In some places in Europe we wouldn't dream of hunting without a silencer. I cannot decide if that is funny or sad. Maybe both?

Mark
Mark's right. Okay except for DNR land. I do it all the time....
I called DNR about one month ago (Jan 2010) and the man I spoke with said absolutely no restrictions. Any reference regarding DNR land? What is DNR land?
bambi-basher

Re:

Post by bambi-basher »

kletzenklueffer wrote:Thanks for the answers guys.
England and France also allow use for hunting.
Hi kletzenklueffer

It is legal in the UK to hunt with a sound Moderator/suppressor in fact if you have a hunting lease on state land it is obligatory to use a suppressed rifle. :shock: However it was not always that way, 10 or more years ago you could not get permission from your Firearms Licensing Officer (part of the police force) for permission to own one.

The change came pretty quick here when one or two people started to point out that hearing loss from the use of firearms is well documented, and that by denying the hunter the permit to use a suppressor while hunting they were endangering his/her hearing thus leaving the door open for compensation claims though the courts. :twisted:

Therefore the standard reason for using a moderator is on health and safety grounds.

It is worth pointing out that hunting wearing hearing protection is not practical as you can’t hear the game and possible dangerous as you my need to hear conversation from hunting buddies, if you can use a trained dog while hunting in your state then your dogs need there hearing protecting, many a good hunting dog had its career shortened by deafness.

Hope this helps with your campaign. If you need anyother info' from over here just ask.

ATB

B-b
The name of the man that never misses is Billy Liar.
Raines/762-SD
Silent But Deadly

Re: what states allow hunting with a suppressor?

Post by Raines/762-SD »

I think the law in Louisiana might have changed.. Here is what i found:

"No person shall take or kill any game bird or wild quadruped with a firearm fitted with any device to dead- en or silence the sound of the dis- charge thereof; or fitted with an infra- red sight, laser sight or device specifi- cally designed to enhance vision at night {R.S. 56:116.1B(3)}."

This was in the Methods of Taking QuadruPeds & Resident Game Birds

Here is Methods for Taking Deer:

"Either-sex is defined as male or female deer. Taking or possessing spotted fawns is prohibited.
It is illegal to hunt or shoot deer with firearms smaller than .22 caliber center-fire or a shotgun loaded with anything other than buckshot or rifled slug. Handguns may be used for hunt- ing.
Taking game quadrupeds or birds from aircraft, participating in the tak- ing of deer with the aid of aircraft or from automobiles or other moving land vehicles is prohibited.
Still hunting is defined as stalk- ing or stationary stand hunting with-
out the use of dog(s). Pursuing, driv- ing or hunting deer with dogs or moving vehicles, including ATVs, when or where a still hunting season or area is designated, is prohibited and will be strictly enforced. The training of deer dogs is prohibited in all still hunting areas during the gun still hunting and archery only season. Deer hunting with dogs is allowed in all other areas having open deer sea- sons that are not specifically desig- nated as still hunting only. A leashed dog may be used to trail and retrieve wounded or un-recovered deer during legal hunting hours. Any leashed dog
used to trail or retrieve wounded or un-recovered deer shall have on a col- lar with owner's name, address and phone number. In addition, a dog may be used to trail and retrieve un-recov- ered deer after legal hunting hours; however, no person accompanying a dog after legal hunting hours may carry a firearm of any sort.
It is illegal to take deer while deer are swimming or while the hunter is in a boat with motor attached in operat- ing position; however the restrictions in this paragraph shall not apply to any person who has lost one or more limbs.
iT is unlaWful To:
1. carry a gun including those powered by air or other means while hunting with bow and arrow during the special bow and arrow deer season EXCEPT, it is lawful to carry a .22 caliber rimfire pistol loaded with #12 shot (ratshot) only.
2. have in possession or use any poisoned or drugged arrow or arrows with explosive tips. 3. hunt deer with a bow having a pull less than 30 lbs. 4. hunt with a bow or crossbow fitted with an infrared, laser sight, electrically operated sight or device specifically de-
signed to enhance vision at night (does NOT include non-projecting red dot sights; RS 56:116.1.(b)(4))."
LSU Football National Champs
1908, 1958, 2003, 2007
Kramer
Silent But Deadly

Re:

Post by Kramer »

tomz34 wrote:Legal to hunt with silencer in PA. However must be used on non NFA firearms (no SBR's, etc). Also no semi's are legal to hunt with. Must be bolt action, lever, pump, etc. Have'nt tried it yet, but hope to in near future. :D

I have quietly taken small game with my canned 22lr. Hope to try big game someday.
homemade
Silent Operator

Re: Alabama

Post by homemade »

yellowfin wrote:
TROOPER wrote:
mizzu wrote:Silencers or Night vision are Illegal in Alabama. There goes my coyote night massacre I was planning :cry:
Don't give up hope. Is it possible that silencers and night vision are only illegal on game animals? And are coyote considered to be game animal?
Hunting of any kind with a suppressor is at the moment illegal in Alabama. This may be subject to change in the future if the right people can be gotten on board.
where is the evidence of this? I can't find it in the criminal code. not that that means it isn't there... we have another thread going at the moment regarding this topic re: alabama, and would like all the info/help we can get.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=62772&p=608497#p608497

thanks!
http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/17390/210904

http://www.theonion.com/articles/area-man-passionate-defender-of-what-he-imagines-c,2849/

love everyone, even your enemy.
AllenArms
Silent But Deadly

Re: what states allow hunting with a suppressor?

Post by AllenArms »

South Carolina is good to go!! Just be sure you have a copy of your tax stamp on you.
Randall Durham
NFA SALES
Allen Arms Inc.
1210 Poinsett Hwy
Greenville,SC 29609
Ph-864-250-2007
Fax-864-271-0806
[email protected]
Paledaddy
Elite Member

Re:

Post by Paledaddy »

kletzenklueffer wrote:Thanks for the answers guys.

We are planning to demo a few cans. I have an M40A1 clone, and I'm planning to pick up a 40X wood stock to tone the appearance of the rifle down, so it doesn't look so much like a sniper rifle.

Buzz, you're right on the language. Wording can certinaly make or break the deal.

I've gotten some info from Finland, and I think that Italy, England and France also allow use for hunting.

This is going to take some time to accomplish. The state only has public meetings every two years, and the last one was earlier this year, and we weren't fully prepared at the time.
In Sweden it's ok to hunt with a silencer...

Pd
[b]Bas Rutten[/b] [quote]" I'm sorry Sir..... BANG ! BANG ! BANG !... No I'm not. "[/quote]