what states allow hunting with a suppressor?

Hunting in general, or with a suppressor.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

1928A1
Silent But Deadly

Post by 1928A1 »

Arkansas is 100% legal for machine guns and suppressors in all manner of hunting. You cannot hunt ducks with a machine gun. It's the only thing you can't do.

I hunt everything but the Eastern Wild Turkey and ducks with a suppressor or suppressed mg. You don't have to use full auto, but it's an option.
07FFL 02 SOT
cyclone72
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by cyclone72 »

moving to Arkansas
ArevaloSOCOM
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by ArevaloSOCOM »

cyclone72 wrote:moving to Arkansas
+1

Read my mind............I don't hunt but it'd give me a reason to try it......

LOL.
NFAtalk.org
1928A1
Silent But Deadly

Post by 1928A1 »

Call me, I'm a Realtor.
07FFL 02 SOT
cyclone72
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by cyclone72 »

exactly, love to shoot a deer or hog with a suppressed 223 or 308, too much fun to have in Arkansas.I seriously considered this but not right now,the wifey thing.
cyclone72
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by cyclone72 »

1928A1 wrote:
Call me, I'm a Realtor.
u serious, I could start out with some land
1928A1
Silent But Deadly

Post by 1928A1 »

Very serious. Land is what I do.

email me.
07FFL 02 SOT
Jpick507

Post by Jpick507 »

Whats the word on suppressed hunting in South Carolina? Anyone have any firm word on this. Ive been wondering as have a few others over on RFC.com... So far i think the word is that no where does it state that you may not hunt with a suppressor. (in the rules/regs book that is) That does not mean its legal i take it though...
BookHound
Silent But Deadly

Post by BookHound »

Jpick507 wrote:Whats the word on suppressed hunting in South Carolina? Anyone have any firm word on this. Ive been wondering as have a few others over on RFC.com... So far i think the word is that no where does it state that you may not hunt with a suppressor. (in the rules/regs book that is) That does not mean its legal i take it though...
I was going to go hunting in SC with some friends recently. Trip didn't work out for me, but I called SC's DNR and spoke to a ranger who said it was fine as long as it wasn't a "managed" hunt area/county. My friend couldn't believe that and wanting it in writing. I couldn't get DNR to send me anything in writing and, frankly, when the trip fell apart for me I put that on the back burner. I found nothing in thier regs against it though.

Too bad we are looking for written permisson to use a legal tool (silencer) for a legal activity (hunting). Unless something is forbidden in the regs or some law, all else should be okay, IMHO. In some places in Europe we wouldn't dream of hunting without a silencer. I cannot decide if that is funny or sad. Maybe both?

Mark
BachelorJack
Silent But Deadly

Post by BachelorJack »

BookHound wrote:
Jpick507 wrote:Whats the word on suppressed hunting in South Carolina? Anyone have any firm word on this. Ive been wondering as have a few others over on RFC.com... So far i think the word is that no where does it state that you may not hunt with a suppressor. (in the rules/regs book that is) That does not mean its legal i take it though...
I was going to go hunting in SC with some friends recently. Trip didn't work out for me, but I called SC's DNR and spoke to a ranger who said it was fine as long as it wasn't a "managed" hunt area/county. My friend couldn't believe that and wanting it in writing. I couldn't get DNR to send me anything in writing and, frankly, when the trip fell apart for me I put that on the back burner. I found nothing in thier regs against it though.

Too bad we are looking for written permisson to use a legal tool (silencer) for a legal activity (hunting). Unless something is forbidden in the regs or some law, all else should be okay, IMHO. In some places in Europe we wouldn't dream of hunting without a silencer. I cannot decide if that is funny or sad. Maybe both?

Mark
Mark's right. Okay except for DNR land. I do it all the time....
Arghhh!!
JP223
Silent But Deadly

Post by JP223 »

I go hunting all the time with, a can in SC.
G.S.A LLC FFL/SOT
Stocking Coastal Gun Dealer
evilpsych

Post by evilpsych »

dang. can't find anything that says you can't hunt with a suppressed rifle in Colorado, as long as it has a max capacity of 6rnds and meets the ammo specs.. although there is a clause in the firearms section that says: "The following are legal methods of take for all species and seasons listed in this chapter, except
as otherwise noted. Any method of take not listed herein shall be prohibited, except as otherwise
provided by statute or these regulations:"

hrmm..
zach h
Silent But Deadly

Post by zach h »

Tn also has no law on the books about hunting with a silencer. the law says no lazers, MG's ,FMJ, poision tiped, explosive and a few other small things. a few years ago they got rid of the mag cap . it was 5. then this year they said that any center fire round was OK.

so a suppresed .223 with a beta is OK for deer hunting.

I told a friend about this that just got a .22lr can and he was exstatic
cyclone72
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by cyclone72 »

zach h wrote:Tn also has no law on the books about hunting with a silencer. the law says no lazers, MG's ,FMJ, poision tiped, explosive and a few other small things. a few years ago they got rid of the mag cap . it was 5. then this year they said that any center fire round was OK.

wow, in FL you cant hunt with any calber smaller than a .243
1911pilot
Elite Member

Post by 1911pilot »

zach h wrote: so a suppresed .223 with a beta is OK for deer hunting.
Dear Lord, I can see my redneck cousin doing this if they ever do that in MI. He'd come home with an empty gun and empty 12 pack and no deer. :roll:
Colt 1911: The original point and click interface.
Blaster7Romeo
Silent But Deadly

Post by Blaster7Romeo »

1911pilot wrote:
Dear Lord, I can see my redneck cousin doing this if they ever do that in MI. He'd come home with an empty gun and empty 12 pack and no deer. :roll:
As long as you have fun it was a good day...

Is that not why we hunt???

For Fun!

:wink:
zach h
Silent But Deadly

Post by zach h »

cyclone72 wrote:
zach h wrote:Tn also has no law on the books about hunting with a silencer. the law says no lazers, MG's ,FMJ, poision tiped, explosive and a few other small things. a few years ago they got rid of the mag cap . it was 5. then this year they said that any center fire round was OK.

wow, in FL you cant hunt with any calber smaller than a .243
same rule here till this season. the deer population is getting bigger while I'm finding fewer places to hunt. they keep upping the baglimits as well.
1911pilot
Elite Member

Post by 1911pilot »

Blaster7Romeo wrote:
1911pilot wrote:
As long as you have fun it was a good day...

Is that not why we hunt???

For Fun!

:wink:
Yeah, I guess you got a point. :lol: I guess as long as I stay on the other side of the hill I'll be all good.
Colt 1911: The original point and click interface.
[cerberus]
Silent But Deadly

Post by [cerberus] »

Your out of luck in Maine
Illegal devices for hunting: Silencers, tracer bullets, explosive bullets, set guns.
I guess it is un sportsmen like

Your all good in NH it seems, from what i can find.
It is unlawful to:
# hunt with a fully automatic firearm. It is also illegal to hunt with a semi-automatic rifle with a clip or magazine holding more than five cartridges (except .22 cal rimfire rifles and pistols), or use full-jacketed metal case bullets;

# hunt deer or bear with 1) a .22 caliber rimfire rifle, 2) a single barrel, single shot muzzleloader less than .40 caliber, 3) a bow of less than 40 lbs. pull at 28 inches or less draw, 4) or an arrow without name and address and a fixed blade broadhead less than 7/8 inches wide or more than 1 1/2 inches wide, and 5) birdshot or shot smaller than 00 buckshot;
Goatcher

Re: what states allow hunting with a suppressor?

Post by Goatcher »

Louisiana may alllow the possession of silencers/suppressors according to some reports on this website, but that still does not allow hunting with them. The following is from the Louisiana Dept. Wildlife and Fisheries web site:

"METHODS OF TAKING RESIDENT GAME BIRDS AND QUADRUPEDS
No person shall take or kill any game bird or wild quadruped with a firearm fitted with any device to deaden or silence the sound of the discharge thereof; or fitted with an infrared sight, electrically operated sight, or device specifically designed to enhance vision at night {R.S. 56:116.1B(3)}. "

Since wild hogs are not a game animal in Louisiana, I speculate that other than on lands managed/owned by the State, such as refuges and wildlife mgmt areas (i.e. private lands) one may be good to go on hogs? I don't expect any two game wardens to agree on the topic.

kletzenklueffer wrote:Some of my fellow statesmen and I are organizing a push for legalization of suppressors in our state (GA). We have collected some data, and are strategizing our attack.

Something I feel would be vital to our efforts is to provide info on the legal use of suppressors for hunting in other states.

What states allow suppressed hunting of any type of game?

While we are targeting deer hunting, I figure any info on legal hunting would be beneficial to our efforts.

TIA
Kletz
montanabound
Silent But Deadly

Hunting with supressors in NC

Post by montanabound »

(c) It is a Class 1 misdemeanor for any person taking wildlife to have in his possession any:

(1) Firearm equipped with a silencer or any device designed to silence, muffle, or minimize the report of the firearm. The firearm is considered equipped with the silencer or device whether it is attached to the firearm or separate but reasonably accessible for attachment during the taking of the wildlife.

(2) Weapon of mass death and destruction as defined in G.S. 14‑288.8

This is taken from the NC General Statutes Article 22 Section 113-291.1(c)(1). So much for the scientific or experimental purposes clause as far as its pros and cons in the use of suppressors in hunting wild game.
Blaster7Romeo
Silent But Deadly

Re: Hunting with supressors in NC

Post by Blaster7Romeo »

montanabound wrote:(c) It is a Class 1 misdemeanor for any person taking wildlife to have in his possession any:

(1) Firearm equipped with a silencer or any device designed to silence, muffle, or minimize the report of the firearm. The firearm is considered equipped with the silencer or device whether it is attached to the firearm or separate but reasonably accessible for attachment during the taking of the wildlife.

(2) Weapon of mass death and destruction as defined in G.S. 14‑288.8

This is taken from the NC General Statutes Article 22 Section 113-291.1(c)(1). So much for the scientific or experimental purposes clause as far as its pros and cons in the use of suppressors in hunting wild game.
SON OF A BITCH!!!
Would predators be considered “wildlife” as in coyotes or hogs.. I still have not run in to my local game warden I will run that buy him next time I see him, when ever that is.
montanabound
Silent But Deadly

That sucks!!!

Post by montanabound »

Yeah, the guy I spoke to in Raleigh was a borderline jerk. I simply was told 2 different stories by 2 different game wardens one who was an ass about the whole affair and wanted to know if I was up to something illegal until I responded " If I was doing something illegal why would I be concerned with the the law in the 1st place !" After that he only said it was illegal to hunt with and he had the book in his vehicle but he didn't have the time to look it up :x . So I resorted to calling Raleigh and must have spoke to his relative,after he told me how illegal suppressors are in NC and how I should turn myself in :evil:( sound like the village idiot?) ,I finally got G.S.113 out of him and that's where I started looking.And also found G.S.14-409 :D : § 14‑409. Machine guns and other like weapons.

(a) As used in this section, "machine gun" or "submachine gun" means any weapon which shoots, is designed to shoot, or can be readily restored to shoot, automatically more than one shot, without manual reloading, by a single function of the trigger. The term shall also include the frame or receiver of any such weapon, any combination of parts designed and intended for use in converting a weapon into a machine gun, and any combination of parts from which a machine gun can be assembled if such parts are in the possession or under the control of a person.

(b) It shall be unlawful for any person, firm or corporation to manufacture, sell, give away, dispose of, use or possess machine guns, submachine guns, or other like weapons as defined by subsection (a) of this section: Provided, however, that this subsection shall not apply to the following:

Banks, merchants, and recognized business establishments for use in their respective places of business, who shall first apply to and receive from the sheriff of the county in which said business is located, a permit to possess the said weapons for the purpose of defending the said business; officers and soldiers of the United States Army, when in discharge of their official duties, officers and soldiers of the militia when called into actual service, officers of the State, or of any county, city or town, charged with the execution of the laws of the State, when acting in the discharge of their official duties; the manufacture, use or possession of such weapons for scientific or experimental purposes when such manufacture, use or possession is lawful under federal laws and the weapon is registered with a federal agency, and when a permit to manufacture, use or possess the weapon is issued by the sheriff of the county in which the weapon is located. Provided, further, that any bona fide resident of this State who now owns a machine gun used in former wars, as a relic or souvenir, may retain and keep same as his or her property without violating the provisions of this section upon his reporting said ownership to the sheriff of the county in which said person lives.
Funny thing is it just says" other like weapons" but isn't specific.
I kinda' liked the idea of being able to hunt with a suppressor but I guess I'll have to go to some other state as far as being able to do any experimentation on how the absence of gun fire affects wildlife. :roll:
dr_tio

Washington (The State!)

Post by dr_tio »

Can not find anything saying that using them for hunting is illegal but you must use a .24 caliber or bigger to hunt with.
beerslurpy
Silent But Deadly

Post by beerslurpy »

You can't hunt with a silencer in Florida, so I keep quiet about it.

Also don't think that railing vermin with the 45 really counts as hunting. Havent been any court cases on the subject as far as I can tell. And beleive me, I have looked high and low.
[img]http://i14.tinypic.com/3yrj680.jpg[/img]