Hog hunters: What are you using?

Hunting in general, or with a suppressor.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Wicked
Silent But Deadly

Hog hunters: What are you using?

Post by Wicked »

For those of you lucky enough to live in or travel to areas where you hunt piggies 'wif a RIFLE:

1.) What type of rifle do you use?

2.) What caliber/cartridge? What bullet type & weight?

3.) What optic? Do you use NV or other lighting equipment?

4.) What's the average distance to your targets?

5.) How many shots per kill?

6.) Average gues-ti-mated weight of pigs you hunt?

and ....................

7.) Do you use a suppressor? Do you shoot sub-sonic loads? If so, how important are they to your success?

Thanks in advance for your assistance!
https://www.facebook.com/wickedweapons
Libertarian_Geek
Silent But Deadly

Re: Hog hunters: What are you using?

Post by Libertarian_Geek »

Wicked wrote:For those of you lucky enough to live in or travel to areas where you hunt piggies 'wif a RIFLE:

and ....................
7.) Do you use a suppressor? Do you shoot sub-sonic loads? If so, how important are they to your success?
1.) I've used 6.8 (AR), .223(AR) and .308(Savage Bolt Action, Keltec RFB). I don't have a large amount of data/experience though. .308 does seem to take 'em off of their feet fast. But this is my anecdote, not data.
2.) {6.8 110gr Pro-Hunters} {.223 69gr soft points} {.308 168gr AMax}
3.) {.223 and 6.8 a D740} {on .308 EoTech EXPS an ITAL Classic} Both PVS-14 on the head.
4.) Most inside of 50 yards unless they are spread out, then it could be 50-100+
5.) I don't have enough data to make a conclusion, but good shot placement will drop-em on the spot w/ .223. We've hit some running w/ .223 and dropped them.
6.) Any and all weights. Spare no piglet. Shoot the biggest hogs first. Seems like 30lbs to ~120 for me.
7.) Absolutely use a can. Save your hearing. I've shot subsonic 6.8 at hogs, but was with other shooters too. You're going to spook 'em anyway, so I'm not seeing any advantage against the hogs.

Notes. I've gone with the following combinations of NV:

D740 on the rifle only. (good, but limits your awareness of things around you w/out constantly muzzle sweeping stuff)

PVS-14 behind an eotech with a magnifier (pain to focus + same as above)

PVS-14 on the head with an IR laser and Eotech on the rifle (takes some practice). Depending on the rifle, the eotech may or may not be useful in this config. On an AR, it's very awkward. On an RFB, it's useable.

PVS-14 on the head and D740 on the rifle (very very very nice). You do have to flip up the PVS 14 to get a good view in the D740. This little 3 second move cost me a shot at a coyote once.

https://www.facebook.com/DareDefendOurRights
tsands974
Silent But Deadly

Post by tsands974 »

Very cool night hunting setups
tsands974
Silent But Deadly

Post by tsands974 »

Libertarian,

How do you like the D740? I have been contemplating getting a NV optic, how much did that one set you back?
Libertarian_Geek
Silent But Deadly

tsands974 wrote:Libertarian,

How do you like the D740? I have been contemplating getting a NV optic, how much did that one set you back?
I like it a lot. On one trip with it on my 11.5" 223 AR, I got 2 of 2 hogs engaged while running full out, and 1 "assist".

My only complaint is the recoil rating. ITT originally claimed that the tube in mine was good for 6.8. Now they say 223. That would be fine with me, but I've recently moved to 308, so rather than risk it I'm selling mine ($3300 obo, it's posted in the for sale forum) and am just going with my PVS-14 and IR laser.

I may get 308 rated nv scope one day, but have to get through some home renovation projects first.
Tobi
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tobi »

Wicked wrote:For those of you lucky enough to live in or travel to areas where you hunt piggies 'wif a RIFLE:

Savage 10FP

308 Win, Jaguar copper bullet
http://www.jagdwaffen-strank.de/waffenb ... og2011.pdf

Bushnell Elite Tactical 6-24x50, no NV

75 yds, but up to 300yds in dayligh

one

80 pounds but up to 200 pounds
and ....................

often as I can, but not allowed in all hunting areas. Very good for shorter distances and at night. The range in which you can find the boar is shorter thasn without.

renegade
Silent But Deadly

Post by renegade »

Wicked wrote: 1.) What type of rifle do you use? AR-15

2.) What caliber/cartridge? What bullet type & weight? 5.56 (69 SMK), but now 300BLK (220 SMK).

3.) What optic? 16x Super Sniper & Aimpoint T-1 Do you use NV or other lighting equipment? PVS-14, PVS-7.

4.) What's the average distance to your targets? <100 yards.

5.) How many shots per kill? Varies from 1 to 10:1 if using F/A Spray & Pray.

6.) Average gues-ti-mated weight of pigs you hunt? 125 lbs.

and ....................

7.) Do you use a suppressor? Yes, SPR/M4 on 556, SDN6 on 300BLK. Do you shoot sub-sonic loads? No on 556, Yes on 300BLK. If so, how important are they to your success? Does not affect success, just make it more comfortable.

Day Gun (556):

Night Gun (300BLK):

wildfowler
Silent But Deadly

Post by wildfowler »

I am currently using 2 rifles. A 300 blackout AR-15, and an SRT intergal 44 mag. I am hunting over corn feeders, and it would be virtually impossible to shoot at one over 100 yards.

Traditional rifle scope on both weapons. Leupold 1 x 5 on the blackout, with an AAC 300 blackout suppressor. And a trijocon 3 x 9 on the 44.

I've used a variety of supersonic handloads in the blackout. Including the Barnes black tip, speer TNT, And the Sierra 110 grain hollow point. I have not tried to shooting with subs in the 300 blackout.

I have shot 18 hogs this summer most of which are less than 100 pounds. Two of them were approaching 200 pounds. Four of them dropped in their tracks from the shot, Most all of the others run about 50 to 100 yards. Once I learned how to shoot them in the right spot, I realize they bleed a helluva lot more and can be recovered. I've had about 6 of them that were not recoverable at all because there was no blood trail whatsoever.

I normally carry my 300 blackout when I go, but I have used my 44 mag on four of them.

I use a 300 grain Hornady XTP subsonic load in this rifle. I've shot two bigger ones in the head /neck area trying to drop them in their tracks. All this accomplished was to have them both run off without bleeding a drop. The other two that I shot low behind shoulder bled profusely. Very easy to track them.

All four of the Hogs I shot that dropped in their tracks were either quartering away from me or quartering towards me. I'm going to try and start shooting them all at a quartering shot like this, I believe you get better vital organ penetration. The main thing I've learned from both weapons is to shoot them low enough so they start bleeding immediately.

I really feel like the speer TNT is going to be my go-to bullet. From my rifle the velocity is only 2000 feet per second, and the bullet does not explode upon impact. It really seems to act like an expanding hunting bullet from a larger caliber. My results so far with this bullet have been spectacular.

From my experience, using either the subsonic 44 or the supersonic blackout, the result is the same. If there is a group of hogs when I pull the trigger they're all gonna run crazy immediately. The best chances I've had on scoring multiple hits is when the first pig shot dropped in its tracks. When this happens, the rest of the hurd runs straight to me until I shoot the second time. They have done the same thing every time this is happened. But if the first one shot runs off, they follow it.

I'm going to do a little experimentation using two feeders in the same plot. I would like to try some subsonic 44 shooting at them without having to aim at the entire herd. I'm thinking that if I can get one standing by itself far enough away from the rest of the herd, that I might be able to shoot more than one before they start running crazy.
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
AkGun&ammo
Senior Silent Operator

Post by AkGun&ammo »

wildfowler,

what barrel length on the 300 blkout?

I am considering building one for Texas corn feeder / stand huntin.

Chris
wildfowler
Silent But Deadly

Post by wildfowler »

I'm using a 10 inch noveske rifle. I'm getting 2225 feet per second with the Barnes black tip and have been very pleased with the results on hogs I've been killing with my blackout rifle.

I've just gotten access to some new hog land that has a lot of open ag field. There's probably going to be a 308 rifle in my future with some sort of night vision / thermal.

I would admit that I have gotten out of deer hunting some 20 years ago due to all the rules and regulations imposed by hunting clubs to manage for big bucks. They have taken all the fun out of it for me.

Blasting these Hogs has been a lot of fun!! You don't have to worry about what size antlers it has or if it's a button buck. If you see one you shoot it. If you see five you trying to shoot all five of them. These landowners want them gone, period.
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
AkGun&ammo
Senior Silent Operator

Post by AkGun&ammo »

wildfowler,

that is true, some say "wound so they'll get out of the field"...

My brother drags the ones deemed unetable to a pit for the buzzards to clean up out of sight and smell....

his wife shot one boar that estimated weight was only about 200 - 225... but the critter sussposedly had a rather pundant odor so.... hual off it was.
she got a sow that they gutted out and was planning to butcher, and they cooked the tenderloins first.... hauled rest to the pit. something about taste of dead fish gets into the flesh of the scroungers!

Chris
wildfowler
Silent But Deadly

Post by wildfowler »

If I can't get my truck to it and it's too big for me to drag out it stays there. My experience with this is that there is no trace of animal one week later. The buzzards and coyotes make quick work of them. Nothing goes to waste.
Libertarian_Geek
Silent But Deadly

When the animal's blood stops flowing, you're fighting a battle with the native bacteria. They have a home field advantage and numbers against you.

Don't wait around for the bacteria to get a foot-hold. Get the temp of the meat low and do it soon after the kill so that the bacteria can't get a head start. Warm air temperature is your enemy too. Pig parts that you're not going to consume (blood, bone, organs, entrails, etc.) hold in extra heat and help the bacteria.

Butcher what you want and get it on ice ASAP.