WTK anyone own/shoot a Beretta TX4? 1301?

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

WTK anyone own/shoot a Beretta TX4? 1301?

Post by TROOPER »

Using the Argo gas system, the real take-away on this gun versus any other auto is that --- according to any review I've found on the internet --- it cycles weak ammunition as reliably as it cycles full-power. Supposedly most semi-autos don't cycle weak loads, the kind which would be ideal as a home-defense load. More so, the recoil on this is reportedly very low, even before using reduced-power loads.

Downside is capacity - at 5+1, it does have limits. That said, the overall package is appropriate to that number since it is a relatively diminutive shotgun.

It costs a lot, and they're not incredibly easy to find. But I'm considering it. I want real-world feed-back.

Anyone?
Last edited by TROOPER on Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Re: WTK anyone own/shoot a Beretta TX4?

Post by TROOPER »

I gotta' say... not too surprised by the lack of responses; the weapon is expensive, and the limited capacity isn't doing anyone any favors.

Just keep it open-ended and who knows? Maybe I'll be answering the post myself eventually.
srt-4_uk
Silent But Deadly

Post by srt-4_uk »

Fwiw, the low power loads that most semis have problems cycling are weak birdshot. Any low recoil home defense ammo hasnt been a problem with any of my 930s (2 jm pros, 2 hs, and 1 spx). Ymmv.
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

TROOPER wrote:...the real take-away on this gun versus any other auto is that --- according to any review I've found on the internet --- it cycles weak ammunition as reliably as it cycles full-power. Supposedly most semi-autos don't cycle weak loads, the kind which would be ideal as a home-defense load. More so, the recoil on this is reportedly very low, even before using reduced-power loads...
Let me introduce you to the world of pump action shotguns... Said system(s) cycle magnum to primer only shells. Not only reliably, but should a round fail, operational muscle memory cycles the dud out of the action without the "what do I do now mental pause" of cognitive understanding requirement that there was a failure.

Come see me sensei... I will work to cleanse your mind of any percieved advantage of a semi. Unless the intent is to just have one.
What amount of a man is composed of his own collection of experiences... and the conclusions that those experiences have allowed him to "know" for certain as "Truth"? :Ick
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

continuity wrote: Let me introduce you to the world of pump action shotguns... Said system(s) cycle magnum to primer only shells. Not only reliably, but should a round fail, operational muscle memory cycles the dud out of the action without the "what do I do now mental pause" of cognitive understanding requirement that there was a failure.

Come see me sensei... I will work to cleanse your mind of any percieved advantage of a semi. Unless the intent is to just have one.
I bought a Desert Eagle. I can scarcely think of a more impractical handgun. When an itch persists for more than four years, I chalk it up to 'obsession' and then pursue it.

Sadly, this gives me only about a year to get over the idea of an AR-10 in 243 with a Leupold HAMR on top, and it does mean that I shall be pursuing ... 'relations' ... with Barbara Eden.
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

TROOPER wrote:... and it does mean that I shall be pursuing ... 'relations' ... with Barbara Eden.
One of my dream girls... I suppose since your overwhelming presence would mean I'd be looking at sloppy seconds, I'll focus on a pursuit of Farrah.

Damn it, but Ms. Faucett could make me do things like make a 12G auto my primary. I'm only human....sorta.
What amount of a man is composed of his own collection of experiences... and the conclusions that those experiences have allowed him to "know" for certain as "Truth"? :Ick
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

TROOPER wrote:[...I bought a Desert Eagle. I can scarcely think of a more impractical handgun...
Can grok that s--t sensie. Got a chance to shoot one of those beasts. Had to slide my trigger finger so far forward that my thumb just barely reached the back of the rearstrap.

You shoot such a beast, I salute you. (think you're nut's, but salute you)
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

The TX4 is no longer being manufactured by Beretta, but the exact same receiver and action is in production as the "1301 Comp". The "comp" portion stands for 'competition', and this firearm is being billed as out-of-the-box ready for 3-gun matches. The internet has a slightly different thing to say about that, with the majority of all 3 reviews claiming that the feed port could benefit from enlarging as well as a magazine extension being necessary. That said, a very long thread at a different forum -- the minority opinion of the 3 -- mentioned only the magazine size. Based on the quality of that minority voice, I'm inclined to believe that the magazine extension is the only area of improvement, as this handy number has been doing well on 3-gun circuits.

Those interested in the TX4 should direct their attention to the Beretta 1301 Comp. It's street price seems to be right at, or slightly under, a thousand. Like the TX4, it reliably cycles even the weakest of rounds, and like the TX4, it is hobbled -- due to import restrictions (I think) -- to a limited number of rounds. However, aftermarket products are making that a non-issue. All of the benefits of a 3-gun ready firearm are probably reasonable for a home-D situation too: rapid target acquisition due to low weight and short overall length, reliability with the full range of market available loads, accurate, and quick re-engagement from shot-to-shot.

Of course, I know frack-all about shotguns from actual, hands-on experience, so use your Google-fu and your own quality noggin'.
RJT
Silent But Deadly

Post by RJT »

srt-4_uk wrote:Fwiw, the low power loads that most semis have problems cycling are weak birdshot. Any low recoil home defense ammo hasnt been a problem with any of my 930s (2 jm pros, 2 hs, and 1 spx). Ymmv.

I've got 2 Benelli M2s that cycle 7/8oz target loads flawlessly, and they are blowback/inertia actions.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

My quasi-assertion was a paraphrase from other reviews and comments on the internet. I shot a pump shotgun ... 3 times? ... about a decade and a half ago. That's the extent of my shotgun experience.

That said, my limited second-hand knowledge regarding the TX4 and the 1301 Competition is that it utilizes the "Blink" system, which -- again, assuming I understand correctly -- is gas powered, but uses a bolt that is significantly lighter than other bolts. This provides two important benefits: first, having a lower mass on the bolt means that it's inertia is lower, so it can cycle faster .. a lot faster. Second, the amount of gas required to move it is significantly reduced. The threshold for power necessary to cycle the action on this gun is lower; so there will be shot shells that cycle this action that won't reliably cycle others. However, where that threshold is... that is not something I know, or have experience with. And frankly, the interwebz hasn't been very forthcoming on this subject either - just that it will cycle loads that are too weak to cycle other autos.

Returning to faster action: Beretta claims 4 shots in under a second is possible. The problem seems to be a human one in that requiring meaningful target is the challenge considering that it is a shotgun. Still, the action cycles fast enough to accommodate that speed.

I plan to purchase this gun in the immediate future as a combination HD and (hopefully) 3-gun-match firearm later, but as far as reviews go... I'll eventually post pics and thoughts, but having no baseline to work with means my opinion on this particular subject will be without context.

I dunno... anyone have any kind of experience with any of this?
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

TROOPER wrote:...I dunno... anyone have any kind of experience with any of this?
All over the coolness of auto loaders.

Having said that, using my issue 870 pump at the 20 ft range, I can put 3 shots on various targets inside 1-1/2 seconds. Without patting self on back, that's fairly good.

The "kid" I qualified with did so, with a similar 870, in better than 3/4 second. He was so fast that the RO stopped the qualification to verify that he had actually fired all his rounds.

Don't care what anyone says. A pump is (can be) faster than an auto loader.

Not sure if the thread focus is on what auto loader is faster than the other, but I'll take a pump every time. (say that while possessing an ultra cool 18" barreled, ghost ring sighted, extended magazine, Rem 1100, that is cruiser carry authorized.)

The 12 gauge in my shotgun cruiser lock remains a Rem 870. It's my preference.
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2qo32_yYho

Reasonable review, pics, and some performance demonstration.
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

TROOPER wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2qo32_yYho

Reasonable review, pics, and some performance demonstration.
without checking out the link, have made contact with a bud to substaniate my claims that a pump can be operated faster than an autoloader.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

That's a tough claim, I think the record for hand thrown clays broken with a pump is 8 and with a semi is 10.

But one thing I've never seen anyone do with a semi is shoot their own empty shells on ejection.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
srt-4_uk
Silent But Deadly

Post by srt-4_uk »

Pump is surely faster than an auto....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCB7uEQ9W9A

I love my 1301. I have run it in a few local 3 gun matches and shoot clays with it. It's real lightweight, cycles quickly, has a smaller LOP, and I really like the forearm in comparison to the 930 it replaced. I still like the 930 platform but the 1301 is definitely a step up.
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

Did you do any modifications to your 1301? Maybe just a +3 Nordic extension? Have you been able to find the threshold of under-powered loads that will cycle the 1301 but not the 930?
srt-4_uk
Silent But Deadly

Re: WTK anyone own/shoot a Beretta TX4? 1301?

Post by srt-4_uk »

Only thing I have done is a +7 nordic tube, trimmed the lifter spring, and lots of file love to the loading port. I havent tried very low power loads because I need the help of fast rounds to knock over far steel. It's easier than messing with different chokes for different stages. I have noticed it stays much cleaner than the 930. If I shot a few hundred rounds from the 930 without cleaning, it wouldnt fully cycle Winchester heavy target whereas the 1301 would.
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

The Beretta TX4 Shotgun has been re-released under the banner of 1301 Tactical. As far as I can tell, every single aspect is the exact same between the two, except that the MSRP is lower for the 1301 Tactical.

I love the concept of a "one-gun" which does all things very well. A shotgun that is viable for hunting, clays, three-gun, and HD, for example, would be a good "one gun". I thought the TX4 / 1301 Tactical was that gun, but I have discovered that the 1301 Tactical is a FIXED CHOKE. I don't know if it's IC or CYL, but it isn't something the end-user can change. I've also read that the 18-inch barrel is inappropriate for knocking over the steel at a 3-gun match... although I question this one a little bit since end-users who chronograph their shotguns are reporting insignificant differences between the 21 and 24 inch barrels. I suppose that there still could be a difference between the 18 and 21, but it just doesn't seem right. I suspect that the fixed-choke of the TX4 -- which is the shotgun that was reportedly having difficult knocking over steel -- is the reason for the apparent lack of 'knock-down' since it is possible that simply less shot was on target. The author, whoever it was, didn't mention range.

At any rate, I did purchase a 1301 Comp (competition) with a 21-inch barrel. I have ordered two chokes, a SKT and a FULL, and with the Nordic +3 extension, I'm fully expecting an 8+1 configuration, with the magazine tube nearly flush - but just shy of - the muzzle with the Carlson's choke installed. (I'll need a few days / weeks, but I will put up pictures.) If this gun performs as expected, then it may well be the "one-gun" of shotguns, since it accommodates up to a 3-inch 12 gauge, is clearly optimal for 3-gun, yet is extraordinarily light and compact for HD. I will be trying it with skeet by the end of February... and I'll just have to imagine its usefulness on hunting after patterning it, since I have no particular desire to hunt using this gun.

For those of you who would be more comfortable with a slightly longer barrel - this gun is available with a 24 inch barrel which would do two things: it will allow for a +4 extension yielding 9+1, and it will provide a slightly smoother transition swing between targets. The downside is that it is 3 inches longer overall -- a minor variance... and it is slightly slower to get on-target -- again, a minor variance. My limited understanding from reading internet forums is that longer barrels swing smoother and hold steadier, even if just by a little bit... but that shorter barrels get to target faster, even if just by a little bit. I also understand that the whole love affair with 24-inch barrels (for 3-gun) is that the Benelli M2 in 21 inch was scarce at one point, so people just bumped up to the more readily available 24-inch barrel... but that there was no practical difference.

At any rate, I hope to squeeze some rounds out of it soon, and to be able to post pictures and possible a review as well. Thanks to those who contributed to this thread.
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

Will patiently await the unveiling.