Silenced shotguns

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

germansilencer
Silent Operator

Silenced shotguns

Post by germansilencer »

I wonder whether there are any experiences on silenced shotguns.

The year before last, I made a ture silencer for my Mossberg pump in 410/76. Just perforated and wrapped barrel extension, some baffel with increasing hole diameter and an end cap that could hold a 6 mm or 2 3 mm wipes ....

Hell, with Eley fourlong 410/65 this thing is quiet enough to hear the shots crackling against the target. For 5 to 10 rounds, there is a distinctive "SHHHH" after each shot for a second or so, when the gasses leave the slots in the wipes (which hold astonishing long!). Even with ripped and torne wipes, sound attentuation is high enough to confuse a shot with a not too good suppressed 22 or a superbly suppressed 9 Luger ....

Now I intend to dull the roar of a 12/3", I have a russion shotgun to play and a Mossberg 500 for the serious work. Are there any ideas/experiences in this area? I know the Finnish work/silencers and the patent drawings and report on a muffled Remington for door breaching
firearm silencers are a contribute to environmental protection
cyclone72
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by cyclone72 »

i have a picture of one in my book its a BR-Tuote XRS on a 12 ga semi auto, if i could figure out how to post pics i would

it has gas ports in the barrel extension to keep shot cup from expanding inside the reflex suppressor
Paranoia
Silent But Deadly

Post by Paranoia »

That would be cool.

I would like to see some pictures if anyone has tried this
cyclone72
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by cyclone72 »

I will try to post them
TEXMEX
Silent Operator

Post by TEXMEX »

bobtail101

shotgun silencers

Post by bobtail101 »

Hi from france I tried to act as a dealer for the hushpower shotgun silencers in the early 90's. No luck it was a too new idea and I didn't have the money to pay for tests or publicity in the gun mags
I went over to the uk and tried the gun out It did work but it's real purpose was to get the sound down at skeet ranges so they wouldn't have to close because of noise pollution
Stan_TheGunNut
Silent But Deadly

Post by Stan_TheGunNut »

Interesting. 499 British Pounds is roughly $1000. I guess that's not too bad for a silenced 12 guage Mossberg 500 shotgun. Too bad they have to crimp the magazine to hold only two rounds. I'm actually surprised that the British are allowed to buy them. I had thought that virtually all guns were now illegal in the UK.
Mr_Psmith
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mr_Psmith »

Stan_TheGunNut wrote:
Interesting. 499 British Pounds is roughly $1000. I guess that's not too bad for a silenced 12 guage Mossberg 500 shotgun. Too bad they have to crimp the magazine to hold only two rounds. I'm actually surprised that the British are allowed to buy them. I had thought that virtually all guns were now illegal in the UK.
My dealer, who is actually a class II, showed me a integrally silenced .410, although I'm afraid I have not had the opportunity to see/hear it in action.
riflechopper

Post by riflechopper »

Those Hushpower guns sound like a great idea. Why doesn't anybody manufacture something like that in the US? Seems like somebody could make just suppressed barrels for a couple of the most popular pump guns and they would sell like mad.
40G27
Senior Silent Operator

Importing from UK

Post by 40G27 »

Can these be imported from Europe by a CIII dealer?
pmercer
Silent But Deadly

Post by pmercer »

I've got to reply to this even though I have no experience with shotguns at all. I live in the UK and belong to a few firearms forums although this is the only one I read at the moment, and I listen to you guys going on about all the firearms you can have; pistols, smg, mg's, short shotties etc, and also about how local things can be for you, ie;

"we're having a meet this weekend in 'insert some American town' and all are welcome to join us".

Well this is my time to speak up, the Saddlery and Gunroom
is about 5 minutes from my house. I've just ordered a Mossberg 500 and a Remi 870 from Canada so may need to invest in a silencer for one of them. I may pop over to this place and see what all the fuss is about and try and get a demo. I'll let you know what they are like if I can make it.

Just thought I'd revel in my fortunate location for once!!!

I'm not sure what all your classes of firearms are over there in the US, but if anyone that was allowed them (probably dealer) could raise an import licence, I could probably arrange an export licence and get them shipped. Just a thought???

Paul
dbooksta
Silent Operator

Post by dbooksta »

Attention Class III dealers / Class II Manufacturers:

How hard can this be to arrange? If they ship the barrel only then it's not even a firearm, so the only problem on the U.S. side would be posession of a suppressor -- which presumably a Class II manufacturer could handle as soon as it arrives by stamping it with a registered serial number as if were just manufactured here.

pmercer, do you know if there are U.K. export restrictions on barrels only?

Given the going rates for new suppressors, a $1000 shotgun suppressor wouldn't be an outlier in this market.
pmercer
Silent But Deadly

Post by pmercer »

Hi Dbooksta,

Barrels are considered firearms components over here. That being said, the dealer that makes them will have an RFD (Registered Firearms Licence) so will be allowed to possess spare barrels.

An export licence will definately be needed, but I have a friend in the DTI (Dept of Trade and Industry) that deals specifically with the export of firearms. I'll ask her how easy it is to get an export licence. I'd imagine you'd need to submit an end user certificate and/or import licence in order to get the export licence though.

I'll let you know,

Paul
wolffie
Silent But Deadly

Post by wolffie »

They would have to find a ClassII manufacturer who is willing to produce the suppressors here. Tromix might be a good place to start. It's not as simple as stamping a serial number on it. The ATF isn't dumb.

I imagine it's a ported barrel to keep the wad from opening up, and then a blast baffles outside of the ports to scrub off the gas.

Honestly, I'm tempted to do a Form 1 version of that some day, or see if someone is interested in making a one off for me. A suppressed 870 sounds like a great idea.
Omega 30
SpecWar2
HemsII
Trident9
Warlock
Evolution9
Pilot
dbooksta
Silent Operator

Post by dbooksta »

I'm unfamiliar with the NFA rules on this:

Is it actually illegal to transfer foreign suppressors? Given that we can manufacture new ones for transfer, I don't understand why it would be (though of course I don't understand the logic behind a lot of these ATF rules :roll: ).

And if transfer of finished suppressors is illegal, how far from completion is legal? E.g., if these U.K. guys shipped the assembly one weld, tap, or crimp short of completion would that enable a ClassII to import the parts and manufacture an NFA-legal can?

Alternatively maybe a ClassII here could license the design from the U.K. guys so there's no technical risk to start producing and selling here.

Either way I'm eager to buy one of these, and I imagine there's enough demand here to make it worthwhile.
wolffie
Silent But Deadly

Post by wolffie »

The GCA of 1968 forbids the imporatation of non-sporting arms for civilian transfer. This has been ammended through the years to be more restrictive.

You cannot transfer any imported suppressors.

I don't know the specifics on the parts. But this is why you don't see any B&T suppressors for civilian sales in the US.
Omega 30
SpecWar2
HemsII
Trident9
Warlock
Evolution9
Pilot
Davo5o
Silent But Deadly

Post by Davo5o »

I thought Vector arms sells B&T suppressors for their UZI??