How do you Secure your Home Defense Shotguns when away?

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Put it in the safe when I leave
43%
Put a gun lock on it when I leave
4%
Keep a gun lock on it, and take the key with me when I leave
No votes
Unload it when I leave
No votes
Hide it when I leave
11%
Take it with me when I leave
No votes
Some inconsistent mix of the above
13%
None of the above (something else)
28%

Total votes: 46

Libertarian_Geek
Silent But Deadly

Post by Libertarian_Geek »

How do you secure your home defense shotguns when away? If someone broke in to your home while you were away and you returned, would you be wondering if a previously unarmed intruder may now be armed with your shotgun?
https://www.facebook.com/DareDefendOurRights
Crosshair
Silent But Deadly

Re: How do you Secure your Home Defense Shotguns when away?

Post by Crosshair »

What? Why isn't "Chair, Sandbags, and a tripline" an option?

/Sorry, had to be a smartass. Hope nobody actually does that. :shock:
"I'm not afraid of dying. I's HOW I die that I'm concerned about." - Crosshair

"Beware the man with one gun. He probably doesn't know how to use it."
jppd47
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by jppd47 »

Put it in the safe. I do on occasion leave it next to the bed. first round in the tube is rubber
pro-gun gun owners are a minority.
Fair Use applies (U.S. Code Title 17 Chapter 1 Subsection 107)
Libertarian_Geek
Silent But Deadly

I actually mis-voted. I Keep a gun lock on it, and take the key with me when I leave.

There's no other secure way to store it (that I've discovered) that wouldn't involve me making some long series of steps every time I go out for a burger.

This way seems to be an easier method to perform consistently without complexity driving complacency. The key (painted w/ glow-in the dark paint) is on a biner with the biner's gate pinched on a rung of the shell-holder on the stock. This way, when/if we grab the shotgun out of the scabbard, the key comes with it, and can be unlocked on the move to the bedroom door. Key and lock would be discarded on the bed, or dropped in the floor right before chambering a round.

I'm curious to see what other folks are doing, and if there's a better procedure. If I had to store it in the safe, or take it with me every time, it just wouldn't happen 100% of the time.
Libertarian_Geek
Silent But Deadly

Crosshair wrote:What? Why isn't "Chair, Sandbags, and a tripline" an option?

/Sorry, had to be a smartass. Hope nobody actually does that. :shock:
This falls into the "None of the above (something else)" category. I appreciate the smartassedry though. :lol: Maybe in a different (and unpleasant) environment though, it would be a valid approach.
phoenix
Silent But Deadly

Post by phoenix »

I'm the youngest person in the household. We never have kids over unless it's my cousins (twice a year).

The gun stays loaded next to my bed. 5 in the tube and none in the chamber. It's a new mossberg so to chamber a round before the trigger is pressed, you have to hit the little button next to the grip. I also have the safety on. You hav to know what you are doing OR have to be an idiot to fire the fun negligently.
-Kyle

JHS27275: "When you throw down the gauntlet, don't be surprised if someone picks it up and slaps the s--t out of you with it."
Libertarian_Geek
Silent But Deadly

phoenix wrote:I'm the youngest person in the household. We never have kids over unless it's my cousins (twice a year).

The gun stays loaded next to my bed. 5 in the tube and none in the chamber. It's a new mossberg so to chamber a round before the trigger is pressed, you have to hit the little button next to the grip. I also have the safety on. You hav to know what you are doing OR have to be an idiot to fire the fun negligently.
My question wasn't really based on the chance of an accidental discharge. Instead it was about Leaving the house (unoccupied) and unintentionally loaning your shotgun to an intruder who broke in while you were out. Such a situation could leave you to defend yourself with a pistol against an intruder w/ your shotgun (who may even have the opportunity to get the drop on you.) It could be the difference between three scenarios below.

1.> Criminal breaks in, steals the laptops and other high value to size items and leaves before you arrive.
2.> Criminal breaks in, steals the laptops and other high value to size items and tries to get more from you by using an improvised weapon.
3.> Same as above + he sees your shotgun, and decides to take more...a wallet, car, a turn at the wife, and credit cards.

I know that there's always the likelihood that an intruder will be armed anyway, but to get shot with my own gun would just be an embarrassing death :oops:
Crosshair
Silent But Deadly

Post by Crosshair »

Libertarian_Geek wrote:This falls into the "None of the above (something else)" category. I appreciate the smartassedry though. :lol: Maybe in a different (and unpleasant) environment though, it would be a valid approach.
I think it was my dad who knew someone who got their legs full of bird-shot from a shotgun trap after stumbling into a marijuana farm. Usually all they do is make noise to alert the farmers, but in that one they had the shell in a piece of pipe to act as a barrel.
"I'm not afraid of dying. I's HOW I die that I'm concerned about." - Crosshair

"Beware the man with one gun. He probably doesn't know how to use it."
700PSS
Elite Member

Post by 700PSS »

Anyone try the "ShotLock" yet? It looks interesting, but at $169 it's a bit pricey. I think $99 would be more reasonable. When a non-optic accessory approaches the cost of a basic HD shotgun, I start to question the logic.

http://www.shotlock.com

ducati
Senior Silent Operator

Post by ducati »

No one will be accessing my shotgun while I'm home or away.

I have a shotgun lock like you'll see in a police car bolted in my closet.
The 2x8s are glued, screwed, and lagged into the studs, and the bolts countersunk and plugs glued on top. The whole lock will stay in the closet when I move.

A hidden button will release the lock; no kids visiting, nor teen punks ransacking the house will be able to remove it, although with one in the pipe, and the safety off, they could punch a hole in my roof!

Mossberg 500, 12ga, Butler Creek folding stock, Surefire forend, Federal Tactical reduced-recoil loaded, slugs in the side-saddle.

Libertarian_Geek
Silent But Deadly

ducati wrote:No one will be accessing my shotgun while I'm home or away.

The 2x8s are glued, screwed, and lagged into the studs, and the bolts countersunk and plugs glued on top. The whole lock will stay in the closet when I move.

A hidden button will release the lock; no kids visiting, nor teen punks ransacking the house will be able to remove it, although with one in the pipe, and the safety off, they could punch a hole in my roof!

Mossberg 500, 12ga, Butler Creek folding stock, Surefire forend, Federal Tactical reduced-recoil loaded, slugs in the side-saddle.

I like it. It's an improvement to my setup, and unless I see a better option in the next couple of months, it may be the way to go. So, is it 12VDC signal that opens it? I'm assuming that in a patrol car it's wired to an accessory line so key in the ignition turned to accessory = it's unlocked. I also like the "no power use the key" feature.
ducati
Senior Silent Operator

Post by ducati »

The wiring is in the walls.
It is tied to a 12V power supply.
Just any PS from Radio Shack won't work, however.
You'll need to get a stout 20-30amp ps to unlock this thing without fail.

It used to be hooked to a 12v battery that was always charging, but the PS is a better option that shouldn't fail.

I like my idea, because it's instant access, but always locked.
It's highly unlikely that someone would get in my home un-noticed while I sleep, but I suppose it happens. In that case, you don't want a gun leaning in the corner, or laying on your bedside table.

The other side of the closet:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v677/ ... re7554.jpg

And the office:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v677/ ... re7558.jpg
tactical assault
Silent Operator

Post by tactical assault »

Did you plug the handcuff key slot to manually unlock that thing. If you didn't, 10 seconds and a paper clip with defeat it.
ducati
Senior Silent Operator

Post by ducati »

This is the straight key version, not the handcuff key.

With half and hour and lock-picking experience, maybe someone could get in, but the alarm going and the cops on the way, I feel pretty good about leaving it the way it is.

I would kill me on several levels if one of my guns got gone.

In my truck, I have a small Gunvault that is tied to the seat support with a steel cable.
I someone came prepared with big boltcutters, I suppose they could get the safe out and work on it later, but any punk out "shopping" at night in the neighborhood, or a smash-and grab asshole at the mall is not getting away with my gun.

Short of everything in the big Fort Knox downstairs, I think I secure my weapons better than anyone I meet. I just really don't want guns in the wrong hands, ever.
YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Post by YugoRPK »

Ancient house and more places to hide guns than you can imagine.
Putting the laughter in manslaughter
flip
Elite Member

Post by flip »

Right next to the ties, I love it.
G22inSC

Post by G22inSC »

ducati wrote:The wiring is in the walls.
It is tied to a 12V power supply.
Just any PS from Radio Shack won't work, however.
You'll need to get a stout 20-30amp ps to unlock this thing without fail.

It used to be hooked to a 12v battery that was always charging, but the PS is a better option that shouldn't fail.

Sorry to bring up an older thread; however, I have a few questions. I use these locks everyday at work and have always wanted to set one up in the bedroom ever since the kids were born. I can no longer leave a long gun unsecured due to children in the house. I happened upon this post through a Google search and was surprised to find someone had pictures of what I was trying to do. Can you expand on the above information with what all is involved? Could you by chance provide links or part numbers for the power supply. Just not exactly sure what is needed and how it is wired up. I would greatly appreciate any further information. Thanks.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

I swap all the firing pins ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
Ben B.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ben B. »

In a safe.

Every round in mine is a 1 oz slug. If things are bad enough that I need to pull the trigger, something is getting well & truly ventilated.
The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground.
Thomas Jefferson

USPSA FY60903...B-class SS, B-class L10, B-class Prod.
IDPA A30195...Expert CDP, Master SSP
rogerme
Silent But Deadly

Post by rogerme »

I have a pile of the police car rigs shown. The best way to use one in your home buy a decent UPS open the battery compartment and wire the lock to the battery this way you always have power even IF the power goes out. they make these locks in m16/ar version as well.

As for my option I live WAY out in the sticks. I change nothing when I leave. If someone where to get into our home they would not see firearms laying around but they are there..
"If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid about?"

Clint Smith
G22inSC

Post by G22inSC »

rogerme wrote:I have a pile of the police car rigs shown. The best way to use one in your home buy a decent UPS open the battery compartment and wire the lock to the battery this way you always have power even IF the power goes out.

Great idea. Never thought about that one. I have never looked inside one of the UPS's. What kind of battery is inside them? Is it a 12v that you simply wire directly like a vehicle 12v?
Libertarian_Geek
Silent But Deadly

G22inSC wrote:
rogerme wrote:I have a pile of the police car rigs shown. The best way to use one in your home buy a decent UPS open the battery compartment and wire the lock to the battery this way you always have power even IF the power goes out.

Great idea. Never thought about that one. I have never looked inside one of the UPS's. What kind of battery is inside them? Is it a 12v that you simply wire directly like a vehicle 12v?
Most UPSs have a combination of 12v Lead Acid Gel batteries. You can just tap onto the leads of one and be good to go.
dbooksta
Silent Operator

Post by dbooksta »

700PSS wrote:Anyone try the "ShotLock" yet? It looks interesting, but at $169 it's a bit pricey. I think $99 would be more reasonable. When a non-optic accessory approaches the cost of a basic HD shotgun, I start to question the logic.
I tried a ShotLock because I don't want to worry about hiding or finding keys when I need to get to the gun -- I prefer pushbutton combination locks. However the current ShotLock doesn't accommodate a Mossberg 590 with ghost ring sights so I had to send it back. Still looking for a solution like this though.
sub-sonic
Silent But Deadly

Post by sub-sonic »

Ben B. wrote:In a safe.

Every round in mine is a 1 oz slug. If things are bad enough that I need to pull the trigger, something is getting well & truly ventilated.

same here
my slug gun stays where it is always
no one can see it or get to it with out being shown how, which will never happen
but me and the wife can get it out very quickly but by that time the 357 must have not been enough thats why the 12g is all slugs :lol:
I have two hobbies. Shooting and reloading. The more I do of one the more I can do of the other.
rogerme
Silent But Deadly

Post by rogerme »

G22inSC wrote: Great idea. Never thought about that one. I have never looked inside one of the UPS's. What kind of battery is inside them? Is it a 12v that you simply wire directly like a vehicle 12v?

Yep 12 volt most use a sealed lead acid type battery.
"If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid about?"

Clint Smith