Help making .223 and 12g blanks for golf ball launcher

Be careful -- low-volume ratio loads can detonate. Mangement not responsible for load data. Use at your own risk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

kiwi collector

Help making .223 and 12g blanks for golf ball launcher

Post by kiwi collector »

Hey Guys, anybody have idea's on loading up their own blanks in 12 gauge and .223 to launch golfballs.
I know that both can be just bought from the shop but thats not so easy around here and I already reload, so should be able to make up something.
The factory 12 gauge blanks, do they have a filler in the wad to create back pressure to consume all the powder.
Have goggle fu the net but nothing really seems to jump out with load data that works, THANKS
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: Help making .223 and 12g blanks for golf ball launcher

Post by Bendersquint »

You probably won't find load data because most blanks use special cases that have longer necks and you have to use a special crimp tool for the 223 to do anything.

Its a pain in the butt to make 223 blanks. Its cheaper to buy some online and ship no matter where you are.
kiwi collector

Post by kiwi collector »

Thanks Bender for the reply, I have already made blanks so no problems with the construction, I just need the powder and volume to get enough gas to launch the golf ball.
The ones I tryed gave low pressure with alot of unburnt powder in the 12 gauge so I"m thinking it needs a filler to allow the powder to be all consumed.
The .223 blanks that I made up were with red dot load data that I got from the net, but the gas volume or pressure seem quite low and did not launch the ball very far or fast.
Just looking for more help from other people that have already been there and done that.
AMProducts
Silent Operator

Post by AMProducts »

These are the kind of goofy projects I really like.

So, for blanks, if you want to make M200 style blanks (what most people use for .223 golf ball launchers)

You need TM 43-0001-27 In chapter 10 section 13 it gives the propelling charge as 7.0gr of HPC13.

IIRC, when we did movie blanks, we stuck with the 7.0gr number and I think we tried W231 and it was close enough that we considered it acceptable.

As far as crimping, you will need to buy a star crimping die for this, CH4D sells these, and they work fine. The limitation is, a normal .223 that's been star crimped will not feed reliably, but it will shoot golfballs just fine!

There is also cartridge, 5.56, grenade, M195 which uses 25gr of 4475. I don think this is what you want.

Also listed is cartridge, 5.56mm, blank, M755 which is normally used with the M234 sting-ring. This is an easy fit because it lists 12gr of hi-skor 700x which is easy to find in normal commerce.

Now, 12ga blanks, I can tell you too much, as I never had a lot of luck with them. First, you need to call ballistic products and get a roll crimper, you will also need over-powder, overshot, and some felt/fiber wads.

Try firing them without a golf-ball first, but a respectable starting load would probably be similar to a 1-oz shot load with fast powder. Perhaps hodgdon clays, hi-skor, or similar flake powder. Load an over-powder card, a buffer of fiber/felt, and then an over-shot card. Now using a drill press roll crimp that thing all the way down.

Fire it in a safe direction, if you get unburned powder up the charge, if it's too hot, lower the charge. Only then should you try to shoot golf balls!

Best of luck, experiment safely!!!!
Type 10 FFL/02 SOT
Author of the Ammo Blog http://bulletmaker.blogspot.com/
cbauman79

Post by cbauman79 »

Try 6gr Unique with CCCI Minimag Primer. Crimp with Star crimp from CH4D.