9mm for Carbine use

Be careful -- low-volume ratio loads can detonate. Mangement not responsible for load data. Use at your own risk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

MJF1911
Silent But Deadly

9mm for Carbine use

Post by MJF1911 »

I'm experimenting with some 9mm for carbine use. Speer No. 14 has a few paragraphs about producing enough gas volume to make sure the heavy bullets make it out of the bore.

Anyway, they have a load with Blue Dot that I tried out. It functioned fine and the bullets made it out the bore. With my suppressor on it gassed quite a bit.

Emilio posted in the thread about my rifle that he was loading W231 for a 16" AR and it was working okay. W231 is a pretty fast powder and I would figure it would work pretty well. I use W231 in my .45 ACP, although I am phasing it out for Titegroup since I have a couple kegs of it and I started using it in my .40 S&W already. I'm going to load a few and see how it does.

Anybody have a 9mm carbine load that works well?
SWR 556 Specwar, 762 Specwar, Octane 45HD, Spectre II; SilencerCo Osprey 45, Omega; AAC Pilot, 300TM; Ruger AC556
Rugged Oculus; Dead Air Sandman K
jmorris
Silent But Deadly

Re: 9mm for Carbine use

Post by jmorris »

Don't Know to make of the gas volume comment. The guns are not gas operated to begin with and if they will go 5" and cycle a pistol action, they will make it out the end of a 16" barrel.

My favorite 9mm load is 3.1 of VVN310 (the fastest powder you can get these days) with a Berry's 147@ 1.160"

You can save a few bucks by using 3.3g of tight group instead.

The only exception to this rule is ported barrels like the MP5SD, the ports bleed out the gas to cycle the action but the bullets still leave the barrel just fine.
MJF1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by MJF1911 »

Thanks for the insight. I've been reloading for several years but this was the first time I'd seen something like this. No other manual mentioned the issue and Speer left me hanging. I can see where a gas gun could have problems but a blowback gun shouldn't have any trouble. The weather turned to poo around here so I didn't get any loads made up. I'll run them over the chronograph to verify the speed when I get them together.
SWR 556 Specwar, 762 Specwar, Octane 45HD, Spectre II; SilencerCo Osprey 45, Omega; AAC Pilot, 300TM; Ruger AC556
wildfowler
Silent But Deadly

Post by wildfowler »

I am currently using 3.8 grains of bullseye under a zero 147 grain JHP. It will do golf ball sized 32 round groups at 50 yards with my ar15 and one inch multi-shot groups from my encore sbr at same distance. Can also use this in my glock pistol too without any hitches. Though i admit that spent brass barely drips out of side of pistol. I dont expect any less powder will function in the pistol?

About 1060 fps in carbines and about 950 in glock. Plenty quiet for me.
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
ljtfisherman

Post by ljtfisherman »

I am just building a upper in 9mm and need to stock up on components, thanks for info to think about for loads. 6 months in to 45 can wait, I hope it will be soon. and 5 months on form 1.

I see you like the 147 gr, I have 124s for my glock and hk, now will look for 147s which makes sense for subs.
wildfowler
Silent But Deadly

Post by wildfowler »

I had some diffculty getting 124 to run my glock pistol without going supersonic in my encore/ar15. For some reason my trident/glock took more powder to run with the lighter bullets than I would have preferred to use. I now have an octane which probably works better but have not tried the lighter bullets since.

My personal experience with the lighter bullets may not be the norm
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
ljtfisherman

Post by ljtfisherman »

I use 124 for super not subs

Waiting on form to be returned and just thinking of making up some loads in advance

I used to load close to max now getting to like subs
MJF1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by MJF1911 »

I loaded up 3.6 grains of Titegroup and it worked really well, not quite as accurate as factory Federal NT 147s. It'll work well though.

I'm loading 147 grain Hornady XTPs with 3.6 Titegroup, Rem 1 1/2 primer in RP nickel cases. I didn't run them over the chronograph but they stayed subsonic at 3200 FAS.