Powdercoating cast bullets: no excess lead in suppressors.

Be careful -- low-volume ratio loads can detonate. Mangement not responsible for load data. Use at your own risk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Post Reply
theTastyCat
Senior Silent Operator
Posts: 115
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:23 am
Location: Nashville, TN

Powdercoating cast bullets: no excess lead in suppressors.

Post by theTastyCat » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:52 pm

Hey all - I've recently become aware of the gradually growing trend of powdercoating bullets. Where this makes a fantastic difference for us is that powdercoated cast bullets won't cause any more buildup in cans than jacketed bullets. In fact, bores end up much cleaner when PC bullets are shot in them.

So - I've recently become quite interested in casting for a bunch of calibers which I never thought I'd care to cast in because I shoot them exclusively suppressed.

Over on castboolits.gunloads.com I happened upon a group buy discussion about a Mihec (best maker that I know of) 9mm mold specifically designed for powdercoating. It seems that he is willing to make molds of different bullet weights, so I'd like a 147-grainer to shoot subsonic 9. He makes great HP molds - I've got a 200-gr. 45 mold that drops HPs free all day. Not sure if he would offer this in HP as well.

Anyway - if you have any interest in being able to cast 147-gr. 9mm now that powdercoating allows cast bullets to be shot through suppressors just like jacketed, jump into this thread and post your interest so we can get a group buy going.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthr ... nt-coating

User avatar
Bendersquint
Industry Professional
Posts: 11359
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:19 pm
Location: North Carolina
Contact:

Re: Powdercoating cast bullets: no excess lead in suppresso

Post by Bendersquint » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:53 am

theTastyCat wrote:Hey all - I've recently become aware of the gradually growing trend of powdercoating bullets. Where this makes a fantastic difference for us is that powdercoated cast bullets won't cause any more buildup in cans than jacketed bullets. In fact, bores end up much cleaner when PC bullets are shot in them.

So - I've recently become quite interested in casting for a bunch of calibers which I never thought I'd care to cast in because I shoot them exclusively suppressed.

Over on castboolits.gunloads.com I happened upon a group buy discussion about a Mihec (best maker that I know of) 9mm mold specifically designed for powdercoating. It seems that he is willing to make molds of different bullet weights, so I'd like a 147-grainer to shoot subsonic 9. He makes great HP molds - I've got a 200-gr. 45 mold that drops HPs free all day. Not sure if he would offer this in HP as well.

Anyway - if you have any interest in being able to cast 147-gr. 9mm now that powdercoating allows cast bullets to be shot through suppressors just like jacketed, jump into this thread and post your interest so we can get a group buy going.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthr ... nt-coating
We jailbroke a 9mm can that had been using powder coated cast boolits in it and there was a bit more residue than jacketed leaves behind, different texture as well.

theTastyCat
Senior Silent Operator
Posts: 115
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:23 am
Location: Nashville, TN

Re: Powdercoating cast bullets: no excess lead in suppresso

Post by theTastyCat » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:57 pm

No kidding. Well you are uniquely qualified to speak to this! Can you say how much more there was?

I never shoot cast lead through my cans because I don't want to drastically shorten their useful lives. That's what makes powdercoating my own cast bullets so attractive; I don't have to rely on bullet availability or pay high jacketed bullet prices to shoot what I want. What's your take on amount of buildup vs. jacketed and vs. cast?

Thanks man - appreciate the wisdom.

User avatar
Artful
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 4392
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:47 pm
Location: Phx,AZ
Contact:

Re: Powdercoating cast bullets: no excess lead in suppresso

Post by Artful » Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:47 am

Bendersquint, you didn't happen to document this finding (pictures, weight of junk etc)
"Trying to tax yourself into prosperity is like standing in a bucket and trying to pick yourself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill

User avatar
Bendersquint
Industry Professional
Posts: 11359
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:19 pm
Location: North Carolina
Contact:

Re: Powdercoating cast bullets: no excess lead in suppresso

Post by Bendersquint » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:28 am

Artful wrote:Bendersquint, you didn't happen to document this finding (pictures, weight of junk etc)
We see so many cans come through that we don't generally document anything unless its spectacular....it's also very difficult to collect data points for any research as most shooters have no idea how many rounds they fire through their toys.

I wouldn't have noticed or even thought anything different except the fouling was bright blue!

User avatar
Bendersquint
Industry Professional
Posts: 11359
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:19 pm
Location: North Carolina
Contact:

Re: Powdercoating cast bullets: no excess lead in suppresso

Post by Bendersquint » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:30 am

theTastyCat wrote:No kidding. Well you are uniquely qualified to speak to this! Can you say how much more there was?

I never shoot cast lead through my cans because I don't want to drastically shorten their useful lives. That's what makes powdercoating my own cast bullets so attractive; I don't have to rely on bullet availability or pay high jacketed bullet prices to shoot what I want. What's your take on amount of buildup vs. jacketed and vs. cast?

Thanks man - appreciate the wisdom.
Order of filth......least to most.

Fully metal jacket enclosed base.
Full metal jacket open base.
Powder coated cast lead boolits.
Proper hardness cast lead boolits.
Rimfire trash lead.

So the powder coating is less buildup than just lead but more than any type of jacket.

wacki
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 913
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:00 pm

Re: Powdercoating cast bullets: no excess lead in suppresso

Post by wacki » Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:52 pm

Artful wrote:Bendersquint, you didn't happen to document this finding (pictures, weight of junk etc)
Missreading this put some disturbing images of bender straddling a scale in my head. While photographing himself.

User avatar
Bendersquint
Industry Professional
Posts: 11359
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:19 pm
Location: North Carolina
Contact:

Re: Powdercoating cast bullets: no excess lead in suppresso

Post by Bendersquint » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:21 pm

wacki wrote:
Artful wrote:Bendersquint, you didn't happen to document this finding (pictures, weight of junk etc)
Missreading this put some disturbing images of bender straddling a scale in my head. While photographing himself.
:lol:

Post Reply