hollow base plated bullets thru suppressor

Be careful -- low-volume ratio loads can detonate. Mangement not responsible for load data. Use at your own risk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

hardcase
Silent But Deadly

hollow base plated bullets thru suppressor

Post by hardcase »

I may be making something out of nothing but thought I'd ask as I don't want a baffle strike.

I tend to shoot a lot of plated lead bullets and so far is the only thing I've shot through my cans except factory FMJ.

I assume the reason for the hollow base is better to engage the rifling. I don't want the bullet to expand enough to contact the baffles. The can dimensions are about 20 thousands greater than the bullet.

Logic would seem a remote possibility of expanding the base enough to contact the baffles, especially with low power loads.

Any opinions?
r
Silent Operator

Re: hollow base plated bullets thru suppressor

Post by r »

I would assume the hollow base is to save a small amount of the lead slug casting, that the manufacturer has decided is not necessary and can save costs on to offer you a cheaper bullet. the plating would be what engages the rifling. once the bullet passes out of the barrel the gas pressure decreases, since the volume of the can should be greater than the barrel to trap and slow down the gases. the hollow base should be unable to expand any at all, due to the decreased pressure.
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Re: hollow base plated bullets thru suppressor

Post by hardcase »

r wrote:I would assume the hollow base is to save a small amount of the lead slug casting, that the manufacturer has decided is not necessary and can save costs on to offer you a cheaper bullet. the plating would be what engages the rifling. once the bullet passes out of the barrel the gas pressure decreases, since the volume of the can should be greater than the barrel to trap and slow down the gases. the hollow base should be unable to expand any at all, due to the decreased pressure.
Makes sense. Since I shoot a black powder rifle, the way the mini-ball works caused me to think too much.