Need advice on stuck rifle bullet and sub sonic rounds

Be careful -- low-volume ratio loads can detonate. Mangement not responsible for load data. Use at your own risk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

yellowthunder74

Need advice on stuck rifle bullet and sub sonic rounds

Post by yellowthunder74 »

Been doing some research here and wasn't sure if I have any clear information. I hate to be that guy that asks these two questions but here it goes.

I was playing around with my YHM Phantom can & subsonic rounds and ended up with a squib round (4 Grains of Trail boss / 55 grain bullet). I was shooting a bunch of standard white box .223 ammo then switched to subsonic. after about 15 rounds of subsonic something wasn't right so I took apart my AR and found a stuck bullet about 2" from the chamber *Whew*

I'm trying to find out the best way to get it out. From the chamber side or muzzle side? I have a 16" barrel that's chrome lined. I'm not sure a wooden dowel will work from the muzzle side because the tip of the bullet will probably split the dowel and cause expansion making matters worse. Also, is it a good idea to lubricate the subsonic bullet before firing?

Thanks!
Fulmen
Silent But Deadly

Re: Need advice on stuck rifle bullet and sub sonic rounds

Post by Fulmen »

I'd try shooting it out with the same load.
batman4706
Silent Operator

Post by batman4706 »

Don't use wood, it will splinter, making it worse. Brass rod from muzzle in is probably best, aluminum next. For 30 cal I have a piece of precision ground drill rod that fits the bore exactly, but hard to find it in right size for 223. Doesn't hurt to spray something like PB Blaster down muzzle and let it set a while.

You have to keep after it slowly, worst I've had was a 220 gr stuck half way down a 9 in 300 blk barrel.
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

So long as it is only one bullet you should be able to get it out by following the advice above. DO NOT try and shoot this out. Best case if you try that, you get two stuck bullets and have a ruined barrel.
yellowthunder74

Thanks, I put some oil down the chamber behind the lodged bullet. I purchased a 3/16 welding rod from Lowes and drilled a counter sunk cavity in the center of the rod and tapered off the end. Put it down the muzzle end and give it a few raps with my ball peen hammer. Worked like a charm!

Now when ever I use subsonic rounds I think I'll lube every bullet tip before firing.
paper9
Silent But Deadly

Post by paper9 »

Sounds like no powder, primer only.
Fulmen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Fulmen »

L1A1Rocker wrote:DO NOT try and shoot this out. Best case if you try that, you get two stuck bullets and have a ruined barrel.
When I suggested it I obviously meant using only a primed case with powder, NO BULLET. Thanks for pointing that out.
yellowthunder74

Paper,
when I heard the round go off, it did sound like only primer. Funny thing to me is I triple checked all of my rounds. I just didn't understand why it sounded like a primer only round. Maybe a second checker of my work next time could prevent this?

Fulmen,
I understood you ha ha ha!