First time reloader

Be careful -- low-volume ratio loads can detonate. Mangement not responsible for load data. Use at your own risk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

KnotRight

First time reloader

Post by KnotRight »

I started reloading back in the late 70s but never have reloaded for a silenced gun. I know that subsonic is good and can be obtained in 45 and 9 mm hand guns. Plan on using a heavier bullet (147 gr and 230 gr). I am assuming that would hold true with 223 and 308 rounds but you can not get them to subsonic speeds. First question, loading 223s for an AR, what velocity are you looking for and using a 55 gr bullet acceptable? I am running a pistol driven gun.

Second question, back to hand gun loads. With the velocity at or below 1000 f/sec, what type bullet would you use for a SD load? A HP or FMJ.

Thanks,
ranb
Silent But Deadly

Re: First time reloader

Post by ranb »

You can load anything subsonic; just need to pay attention to your twist rate to ensure the bullet does not yaw and cause baffle strikes. http://www.bergerbullets.com/twist-rate-calculator/

I typically load to 1050 fps; this stays subsonic until about 0F. http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-speedsound.htm

If you are shooting subsonic 9mm in a recoil operated pistol, then you should not have any problems as long as the can has a recoil booster although I've heard some people use a lighter spring.

Gas operated rifles need to be designed to use subsonic 5.56 or 7.62 to operate correctly. The typical 300 blk or 300 whisper uppers do this by installing the gas port about 4 inches down from the chamber to keep gas pressure high when the carrier is blown back. A typical piston AR-15 is NOT going to cycle subsonic 5.56.

I use 3.1 grains of bullseye for a .224" 55 grain FMJ for a 1-9 twist Mossberg MVP and 7 grains of H110 for the .224" 70 grain round nose in my 1-8 twist AR-15.
I use about 12 grains of H110 for a 7.62x51 for 150 and 220 grain round nose in my Savage 1-12 twist bolt gun and AR-10 1-10 twist. The AR-10 does not of course cycle with the 220 grain load and the Savage max bullet weight that is stable is the 180 round nose.

Except for my 300 whisper which is designed to shoot subsonic, any other rifle I load with subsonic shoots groups that are nearly twice as big compared to standard ammo.

If you are loading defense ammo, then I would use HP in the 45 ACP and round nose for the subsonic 9mm.

Ranb
SilencerTalk was a place I could disccuss making registered silencers without being told I was a criminal. That is no longer true. http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=132&t=99273
KnotRight

Post by KnotRight »

Thanks Ranb.

Ricky
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

I have a 300 BO bolt gun with 1:7 twist barrel that is more accurate than I am capable of shooting. The 300 BO is the SAMMI spec design of the 300 Whisper which is the proprietary equivalent from AAC. There is a bit of difference in the chamber design but not enough to spit over. It is reported to be safe to shoot a cartridge marked "Whisper" in a 300 "BO" but not necessarily visa-versa, though many do-so with hand-loaded subs.

At any rate, I don't mean to pick nits, but I think the twist rate for subs has a lot to do with stability of sub-sonic rounds.

I'm looking at a Mr Blonde barrel for a SBR in 1:8 twist for a 300 BO that is reported to be very accurate suppressed.

Shooting with a suppressor, in some loads, may throw the point of impact off a bit with some cans trying to switch from with and without a can. Once this is learned, the suppressor baffles can be indexed for the amount the impact point is off or change to scope settings.