9mm subsonic mold

Be careful -- low-volume ratio loads can detonate. Mangement not responsible for load data. Use at your own risk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

pistolpeta
Silent Operator

9mm subsonic mold

Post by pistolpeta »

Ive heard that using a .357 mold is the best bet because of selection of molds.

If I plan on Powder Coating/ Hi-Tek coating them, would you recommend a certain featured bullet mold to aid the coating for suppressed subsonic shooting?

Also, what weight do you think would be admirable for this goal?

Lastly, I know there are casting sites devoted to this endeavor, I just thought I'd get a good answer on here relative to suppressed/subsonic 9mm.

Thanks in advance.

-Pete
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Re: 9mm subsonic mold

Post by John A. »

Pretty sure that powder coating, while good to reduce the amount of leading in the barrel/suppressor, the coating also adds to the overall thickness of the, already slightly large diameter bullet.

Are you planning to swage the bullets?
I don't care what your chart says
pistolpeta
Silent Operator

Post by pistolpeta »

Im sorry to be asking but is swaging and sizing (running the bullets through a sizer) the same thing?

Yes, if that is what you meant.
I've been reading that a .356" mold would be better but I was thinking that a .357" would be fine, and better in case for whatever reason, the .356" wasnt actually .356 but smaller.

I dont know anymore haha.

The PC-ing does add a little to the bullet and will require sizing.
Tackleberry47

Post by Tackleberry47 »

I have a Lyman 147gr 9mm mold and a NOE 158gr 357 mold. The 147gr works fine in pretty much everything, powder coat them, shoot them thru various pistols and rifles. Had to try different powders to find a load that would keep it subsonic in a 16in barrel AND cycle. Was using them in a Keltech Sub2000. Shorter barrel you can load them a little hotter. Never had an issue with feeding in anything.

Bought the 145gr mold for a 357, but really easy to size them down a little for a 9mm. I use the NOE sizers vs a dedicated sizing press. Its a gascheck bullet, tried them without the check, but not enough bearing surface to grip the rifling so horrible accuracy. Probably can buy it plain base, or ream out the base of the mold. I have used them in 9mm, and 357 sig. I bought the 'rg' mold, which gives a hollow point option. Comes out around 145gr w a hollow point. Seem to work fine in various 9mm. Not really any different load data.

Powder coated they can be run pretty hot if you want.
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

Back in the dark days of WWII the Brits messed with heavy subsonic loads. The world then forgot until 1980 when a small company called Super Vel made ammo for the US Navy to use in their MP5SD carbines. I don't know the speed but they were 170 gr FMJ .357 bullets and very hot.These were also very good in the Hush puppy/S&W combination.These should prove to work well for a effective suppressed 9mm.

http://rcbs.com/Products/Bullet-Casting ... H-430.aspx

The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895