6.5 Grendel bolt gun subsonic info

Be careful -- low-volume ratio loads can detonate. Mangement not responsible for load data. Use at your own risk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Nodak

6.5 Grendel bolt gun subsonic info

Post by Nodak »

I have a Howa Mini action in 6.5Grendel, 20" barrel, the a Crux 6.5 Saxon suppressor and MDT LSS chassis. I am on a journey to get a reliable, accurate and low SD subsonic ammo around 1060fps. Looking for any and all info anyone has. I tried so trailboss under a ELD-M 147gr last week but to be honest it wasn't good and I will start over the correct way next week. If all goes well I will be able to try 2-3primers, 3-4 powder and 3-4 bullets. I'll collect my info and post here. Sure would love to hear of anyone else's success. Cycling isn't an issue due to bolt action.
Last edited by Nodak on Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fishman
Silent But Deadly

Re: 6.5 Grendel bolt gun subsonic info

Post by fishman »

Ive never heard of anyone pulling that off. I wouldn't put your can on until you settle on a load and confirm its stability at low velocity (or give up).
300 blackout form 1: http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=137293

5.56 form 1:
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=141800&p=955647#p955647
Nodak

Post by Nodak »

When I tried the 147s they shot straight and stable but the vertical was bad due to 200 SD. Had can on whole time. I've was warned by another about waiting to suppress till I varified stability so I'll ride the side of caution for further testing. Also going to clean the snot out of it to start fresh.
Last edited by Nodak on Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nodak

Post by Nodak »

Ended up with success. I'll post the simple recipe below. It was an experiment with many head scratchers and lots of learning. I now have a nice subsonic load that my gun likes. All I need now is two scopes with quick release rings that hold zero repeatedly.

147gr Hornady ELD-M
CCI 400 primer
10gr H110 powder
Used Hornady Black cases

Gives 1040fps with a SD of 25. With some minor tweeting the SD should come down. Need to play with bullet seating depth is all
cdhknives
Silent But Deadly

Post by cdhknives »

I have never been brave enough to test the oft cited and manufacturer warned against light (low case fill %) H110 loads. If you have not previously, I suggest researching 'light H110 load detonation' and make an educated decision if your load is safe enough for your comfort level.

I use a fair amount of H110 in 300 Blackout heavy bullet subsonic loads, but the final load density is much higher for that combination and well within manufacturer published load data ranges. I am not afraid to play outside the lines (I run Blue Dot in 300 blackout for example, have gone as fast as Unique and Hodgdon Universal) but H110 has a reputation (deservedly or not) as dangerous for downloads and most people shy away from it for purposes like this.
YHM Phantom 30 cal, 22lr form 1 build, 45 cal form 1 in progress
Atlas 10x36
ricsmall

Post by ricsmall »

Nodak
I know this thread is old but I have some data with TB and 123 grain bullets if interested. I may have even done some with 140 nosler CC. I’ll look up when I get back to house.