good quiet 9mm loads to use with silencer?

Be careful -- low-volume ratio loads can detonate. Mangement not responsible for load data. Use at your own risk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

tsmoyer13
Senior Silent Operator

good quiet 9mm loads to use with silencer?

Post by tsmoyer13 »

What are some good loads to use in conjunction with a silencer to be very quiet?
tsmo
chrismartin
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by chrismartin »

147gr Barry's or Rainier plated (have used both, RN and TC)
3.8gr W231
Remmington SPP
OAL 1.160 (for round nose, I'm working on the TC OAL now)

Cycles everything I have (Glock 17, Sig P229, STI 2011, 5" AR15, Kahr PM9) both suppressed and un-suppressed (I don't suppress the Kahr though)
jmorris
Silent But Deadly

Post by jmorris »

Most that hear my IDPA/USPSA minor load of 3.1 of VV310 and a berry's 147 want to chrono it. It is quite unsuppresed and runs 900fps out of a 5" barrel. I would try the load out before putting on the can as I've seen signs of plating seperation out of some pistols (look for gray streeks on cardboard when shot from 5'). Then run a few out at 25 yards to look for tumbling (I've only noticed this out of AET barrels).
chrismartin
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by chrismartin »

Yeah, with plated bullets you have to watch out a bit, but I've seen jacket separation on regular bullets too. The key for me and plated is:

1. Don't run them in the AET barrels from scheumann :)
2. Watch out for your bell and crimp:
You must bell the case enough so that there is NO chance of the brass cutting into the bullet, then you must crimp properly (bullet dia + 2x case wall thickness) If you crimp too much, it can cut into the plate.

I always shoot a bunch and watch out for tumbling, but I've never had a problem in regular gun barrels (standard and polygonal rifling)

ETA: Also, follow the loading rules for plated (Kinda treat them like lead) for load data.