C&H trim die with Dillon 650

Be careful -- low-volume ratio loads can detonate. Mangement not responsible for load data. Use at your own risk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

cconn

C&H trim die with Dillon 650

Post by cconn »

I remember reading somewhere on here a while back that someone had modified their Dillon 650 die carrier to use the C&H trim die and the Dillon trimmer to form 300 Blackout brass. Today I received a Dillon trimmer and C&H trim die. But the die has to screw down so far into the die holder that the window for the cuttings is blocked. Can someone post pics of how exactly they modified the die holder to work with this setup?
LYNRDSKYNRD
Silent But Deadly

Re: C&H trim die with Dillon 650

Post by LYNRDSKYNRD »

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because
rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
George Orwell
knoxville

Post by knoxville »

To get the trim dies to work with the Dillon 650 toolhead you need to mill off the top 1/3 of the tool head. This will allow you to have enough room to still install the vaccume attachment. You also have to put the lock nut on the bottom of the tool head insted of the top. I can send you some pictures in the next day or so. If you need them just let me know.

This is due to the short length of the finished case.

Knoxville
knoxville

Post by knoxville »

Can someone tell me how to post a picture. I am sure it is pretty easy, just cannot figure it out. I will post some of the machined toolhead when I learn how.
Abiqua
Silent But Deadly

Post by Abiqua »

knoxville wrote:Can someone tell me how to post a picture. I am sure it is pretty easy, just cannot figure it out. I will post some of the machined toolhead when I learn how.
Host the pic at a site like photobucket or imageshack. then put the direct link to the pic inside [img]xxx[/img] (replace the xxx with the link, include the brackets).
knoxville

Post by knoxville »

These are the modifications needed to use the CH 300 Blackout / 300 Whisper trim dies and the Dillon 1200 trimmer on a 650 press. You must milll off the top 1/3 of the tool head and then use the lock ring on the bottom of the tool head. This modification allows enough clearance to install the vac attachment.

I have spoken with CH tool and they advise their 300 Whisper die wiill work to make 300 blackout brass. This should not come as any surprise to alot of us, who are using the Redding 300/221 dies.

ar15fanboy
Silent Operator

Post by ar15fanboy »

Could someone confirm how far down the trim die sits. Does it touch the shell plate on the 650 or 550 when the ram is raised? I got my CH4D trim die today and I noticed the neck on the brass is lower after running through the trim die comparing to the Forster 300 blackout die set I got.
Spanners

Post by Spanners »

ar15fanboy wrote:Could someone confirm how far down the trim die sits. Does it touch the shell plate on the 650 or 550 when the ram is raised? I got my CH4D trim die today and I noticed the neck on the brass is lower after running through the trim die comparing to the Forster 300 blackout die set I got.

Did you get it sorted?
I ahve the same setup - Forster and CH4D and 650.
Yet to setup the trim die but I was wondering about if the shoulder positionw ould be an issue with the trim die touching the sheel plate
Spanners

Post by Spanners »

Bump on my above question