Bullet weight for 9mm subsonic

Be careful -- low-volume ratio loads can detonate. Mangement not responsible for load data. Use at your own risk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

BAYOU

Bullet weight for 9mm subsonic

Post by BAYOU »

Well I will be setting up my press this week and will be starting off with 9mm. I have been reading everything I can and still trying to understand the lingo and process all the information. With 9mm can I use 124's bullets and keep it under 1125fps to stay subsonic or do I have to use 147's. Should be pickin up a RRA 9mm and getting chopped for a can and want to keep it quiet as I can, I realize for my other 9mm's I will just use 124's.
morris
Senior Silent Operator

Re: Bullet weight for 9mm subsonic

Post by morris »

You may be able to load 124 to the speed you want but 147 gr is the standard for subsonic I would just use that
Wahoo95
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wahoo95 »

For my 9mm AR I have SS loads in 115gr, 124gr, and 147gr, however I load more 147gr than anytyhing else.
Go Hoos!!!!
BAYOU

Post by BAYOU »

Wahoo, what is you reason you load more 147's than anything else? Are your 124's just as quiet, the reason I ask is the cost ratio.
Wahoo95
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wahoo95 »

I prefer 147gr because practically all loads in that weight are Subsonic. The lighter weight bullets typically require lighter loads which don't always seem to be as accurate for my guns. My SS 115gr load will only work in my AR as its too light to cycle my pistols....its very quiet though!

Best luck I've had for quiet SS loads use 147gr FMJ with either:

3.5gr Titegroup
3.8gr N320
3.9gr N340
4.2gr Unique
Go Hoos!!!!
Golf_1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by Golf_1911 »

How about 147gr LRN?
Silent But Death!!!
WasDustyJacket
Silent But Deadly

Post by WasDustyJacket »

No, unless you like cleanng the lead accumulation in your silencer.

BYW - why buy a carbine and go through the big expense of chopping the barrel and threading it?

Why not get an AR pistol, then when your Form 1 comes back just replace the buffer tube and add a stock.
Shoot softly, and carry a big clip.
BAYOU

Post by BAYOU »

I bought the carbine since I'm in no hurry and time i get around to it it will be like Christmas in July.
AMProducts
Silent Operator

Post by AMProducts »

One advantage to using 9mm in the AR platform, is that the AR will cycle a lot of rounds that simply won't reliably cycle pistols. I loaded up a big batch of really light 9mm 115's a few years ago for a friend for his sister to shoot, unfortunately they wouldn't reliably cycle his 92fs, my oly 9mm runs them like a champ, and any problems I've had are more attributable to the oly than the ammunition. I don't remember specifically what the load was, but it was a near-minimum out of the book load for hodgdon clays. They usually chrono about 980FPS out of my 16".

From data.hodgdon.com:

115 GR. LRN Hodgdon Clays .356" 1.100" 3.0 954 25,300 CUP 3.4 1039 31,000 CUP

So they were probably 3.0-3.1gr of clays. These were loaded with berry's plated 115gr RN. You may want to load a very small selection of them before doing a big production run like I did. This is a major reason why I'm so anal about testing absolutely everything with a function-fire before any kind of production should take place. doveryai, no proveryai!
Type 10 FFL/02 SOT
Author of the Ammo Blog http://bulletmaker.blogspot.com/
Wahoo95
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wahoo95 »

AMProducts wrote:One advantage to using 9mm in the AR platform, is that the AR will cycle a lot of rounds that simply won't reliably cycle pistols. I loaded up a big batch of really light 9mm 115's a few years ago for a friend for his sister to shoot, unfortunately they wouldn't reliably cycle his 92fs, my oly 9mm runs them like a champ, and any problems I've had are more attributable to the oly than the ammunition. I don't remember specifically what the load was, but it was a near-minimum out of the book load for hodgdon clays. They usually chrono about 980FPS out of my 16".

From data.hodgdon.com:

115 GR. LRN Hodgdon Clays .356" 1.100" 3.0 954 25,300 CUP 3.4 1039 31,000 CUP

So they were probably 3.0-3.1gr of clays. These were loaded with berry's plated 115gr RN. You may want to load a very small selection of them before doing a big production run like I did. This is a major reason why I'm so anal about testing absolutely everything with a function-fire before any kind of production should take place. doveryai, no proveryai!
Yeah one of my favorite SS loads is 115gr FMJ over Ramshot Zip....very quiet and accurate. Only works in my AR and my HK P7.
Go Hoos!!!!