9mm Subsonic bullets, FMJ or plated?

Be careful -- low-volume ratio loads can detonate. Mangement not responsible for load data. Use at your own risk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

1911pilot
Elite Member

9mm Subsonic bullets, FMJ or plated?

Post by 1911pilot »

Hey Guys, Long time no post.

I'm just getting back into reloading and I'm wanting to load up some nice Subsonics for my Evo9. Whats the deal with plated bullets, will they be silencer safe or do I need to stick to old school jackets for this.
Thanks!
Colt 1911: The original point and click interface.
srt-4_uk
Silent But Deadly

Re: 9mm Subsonic bullets, FMJ or plated?

Post by srt-4_uk »

Most plated bullets have thinner jackets so they can't be pushed as fast. Since you are planning subsonic, they will be perfectly fine.
1911pilot
Elite Member

Post by 1911pilot »

So no problems with shedding jackets?

Anyone have some pet loads?

I'm aiming for special K on this, the cleaner the better. I understand they use Vhit powder.
chrismartin
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by chrismartin »

I have never had a jacket issue with plated bullets, EXCEPT when I didn't bell the case mouth enough and the plating was wrinkling during the seating stage. Personally, I stopped buying plated when the costs went up to match jacketed bullets. There isn't a good reason to buy them now from a cost perspective.
Snake-eater 1
Silent But Deadly

Post by Snake-eater 1 »

I agree, the cost differential between quality plated and FMJ is so little these days, I buy FMJ so I don't have to worry about cracking the plate on marginally cheaper bullets. Non-quality plated bullets aren't worth buying for any reason.
"Our drills are bloodless battles,
Our battles are bloody drills."
A saying of the Spartans
1911pilot
Elite Member

Post by 1911pilot »

Bummer, all I can seem to find are Berrys and Rainer 147 grain bullets. Nobody seems to have FMJs around.
1911pilot
Elite Member

Post by 1911pilot »

Nevermind, Just figured it out... Got some MGs on the way. Thanks guys!!
Wahoo95
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wahoo95 »

Check with Precision Delta for FMJ.....they make great bullets. You'll just have to order them in advance but they are worth the wait for the price.
Go Hoos!!!!
saltydecimator
Silent But Deadly

Post by saltydecimator »

just launched some 124gr plated HPs at about 900 fps. freaking quiet!!! if anyone knows whats up with me, i have been bitching bout the un-quietness of the evo 9 i have. with fctory ammo... with these relaods (my first ever) i am very pleased with the results!!!

anyone interested, this is what i used:

4.0 gr of hodgdon hp 38
124 gr rainerier plated hollow points from midway
seated to a OAL of about 1.100 to 1.119 (ionly loaded 3 bullets. they varied in length by those numbers)

rainer said to load those to a OAL of 1.12o, so i was close enough. with no crimp..
its quiet time!
Wahoo95
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wahoo95 »

saltydecimator wrote:just launched some 124gr plated HPs at about 900 fps. freaking quiet!!! if anyone knows whats up with me, i have been bitching bout the un-quietness of the evo 9 i have. with fctory ammo... with these relaods (my first ever) i am very pleased with the results!!!

anyone interested, this is what i used:

4.0 gr of hodgdon hp 38
124 gr rainerier plated hollow points from midway
seated to a OAL of about 1.100 to 1.119 (ionly loaded 3 bullets. they varied in length by those numbers)

rainer said to load those to a OAL of 1.12o, so i was close enough. with no crimp..

What factory ammo were you using before?
Go Hoos!!!!
1911pilot
Elite Member

Post by 1911pilot »

I"ve always been really happy with special K. I've even been fairly happy with Winchester and American 147gr factory loads. (I think, its been awhile since I've just been using Special K)

I think I'll be giving Precision Delta a try next, It came down to them and Montana Gold last night and I didn't feel like printing out the Precision delta form and faxing it in... :roll: I"ll be doing it next time though as I kinda like the TC bullets and they are a bit cheaper than MG.
chrismartin
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by chrismartin »

1911pilot wrote:I"ve always been really happy with special K. I've even been fairly happy with Winchester and American 147gr factory loads. (I think, its been awhile since I've just been using Special K)

I think I'll be giving Precision Delta a try next, It came down to them and Montana Gold last night and I didn't feel like printing out the Precision delta form and faxing it in... :roll: I"ll be doing it next time though as I kinda like the TC bullets and they are a bit cheaper than MG.
Form? I just ordered PD bullets today. No form, nothing, just a simple online order. I didn't even see a form online at all.
Do you have a link to it?

Also, MG bullets are brass jacket, IIRC, not copper. For whatever it's worth.

ETA: Found it in the shopping cart. Only needed if you are buying loaded ammo, not bullets.
mg81
Silent But Deadly

Post by mg81 »

I have had plated bullets loss their jackets in a fast twist 44 mag barrel. Made my suppressor sound like a maraca.

I am sure they work well in many guns without a fast twist barrel and/or with slower powder or lower fps. The accuracy is pure s--t when the jackets separate, no surprise about that.

I would agree with the others though, I don't think the price split justify it if the only reason you are using plated is economic. (I had thought they might give better expansion at low speed though, never bothered to investigate.)
1911pilot
Elite Member

Post by 1911pilot »

chrismartin wrote:
ETA: Found it in the shopping cart. Only needed if you are buying loaded ammo, not bullets.

Crap, I see that now, I'll get some of these next time, After I run through 3k of the MG... :D
Guess I should have read it a bit better...
Obin Robinson

Post by Obin Robinson »

1911pilot wrote:Hey Guys, Long time no post.

I'm just getting back into reloading and I'm wanting to load up some nice Subsonics for my Evo9. Whats the deal with plated bullets, will they be silencer safe or do I need to stick to old school jackets for this.
Thanks!
Just want to add that over 6,000 suppressed rounds have been shot through my two different 9mm suppressors. I use Berrys 147 grain plated bullets and haven't encountered a single issue so far. I went 1,000 rounds between cleaning my Tibbetts Camp 9 and it wasn't too much of a chore to clean. I use HP38/Win231 and WST powders.

As far as accuracy goes the Camp 9 will cut ragged groups at 25 yards using red dot or open sights. The Beretta will shoot bullseyes as well. using the Berrys Bullets.

obin :)