My New Savage MkII FVSR

Talk about them here.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Wahnsinn
Silent But Deadly

My New Savage MkII FVSR

Post by Wahnsinn »

Hi guys, picked her up on Wednesday from the dealer. Short story to go off topic a little...she was closed Wednesday but told me I could drop by in a 30 minute window as she had another customer from out of town coming in to pick up a new gun. So I showed up and it just happened that the people there (husband and wife) have some land about 1.5 hours away and they're having a pig problem. So they offered to let me come over whenever I want and hunt the pigs (and whatever else might be out there, they've seen some deer) for free! Good thing I went that day.

Anyways, back to the gun. Picked her up on Wednesday, looked nice when I got her! If you look at the picture on the Savage website it shows a full rail on top, full size thread protector, and oversized 'tactical' bolt handle. None of those are on this gun :lol: I knew before-hand that that was the case. It's got the normal bolt handle, two piece weaver style scope bases, and smaller thread protector (not the diameter of the barrel). No problem there. Comes with a 5rd mag, which at this point is fine for a bolt gun. They sell a 10rd mag for the MkII guns, so maybe I'll pick up one of those as my spare mag at some point. It's got sling swivel studs on it already, just one up front so depending on your bipod if you use one, you will need to figure out something else to attach your sling to.

So now to a couple fair notices on this rifle in case you want to pick one up.
1) With the contour of the receiver and barrel, you will most likely need AT LEAST high rings in order to use a 40mm obj lens scope. I've got a Leupold VX-III 4.5-14x40 scope on there. Tried medium rings, didn't work. Put high rings on there and it barely clears the barrel on the front side. I had one of the slip-on scope covers on the front and it doesn't fit with that on there. So maybe I'll look into one of the screw in sun shades or something. The rear side clears with ease.
2) The threads run kinda long, so depending on your can you will need a spacer. I've got a 22Sparrow (original) on it, and it doesn't go back to the shoulder of the barrel. Maybe if I crank on it, it'd fit and eat up the o-ring inside, but I'd rather not :lol: So I need to pick up a spacer for this gun/can combo.

Aside from that, everything looks good so far. Trigger breaks just under 3lbs right now. Once I take it out shooting I'll adjust it down a little maybe, see how it goes as-is. The stock isn't the stiffest thing made, I'm used to my HS Precision stocks on my Rem700s...this isn't even close, but it's ok for now. I'll see how she shoots, maybe pick up some aftermarket stock.

So here's how she looks at this moment. Once I get out to the range (it's raining/freezing today) I'll give some info on how that goes.

Tim

Here's the scope clearance...pretty tight, just barely clears the adjustment on the front end.
viking4
Silent Operator

Re: My New Savage MkII FVSR

Post by viking4 »

Very nice rig there. Almost as good looking as my CZ. :D Enjoy.
seattlite
Silent But Deadly

Post by seattlite »

I also love mine. The thread protector on mine is a little larger than the barrel diameter. My 40mm objective also barely clears:

Wahnsinn
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wahnsinn »

What can is that, Wasp? How's it sound on the Savage?
BriggsRi
Silent But Deadly

Post by BriggsRi »

Very nice!
seattlite
Silent But Deadly

Post by seattlite »

Wahnsinn wrote:What can is that, Wasp? How's it sound on the Savage?
Yeah...its the Wasp. I shoot it dry with no wipes. It sounds OK, but obviously not as good as the Spectre...with subsonic ammo its pellet gun quite. IMHO, aesthetically, it matches up nicely with the barrel profile of the FVSR.
Wahnsinn
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wahnsinn »

Seattlite - what do you think of the stock on your rifle? I see a couple different offerings out there (factory Savage wood stock, along with a few others at Boyds).

Thanks.
seattlite
Silent But Deadly

Post by seattlite »

Wahnsinn wrote:Seattlite - what do you think of the stock on your rifle? I see a couple different offerings out there (factory Savage wood stock, along with a few others at Boyds).

Thanks.
It's OK, but, I'm waiting for another sale from Boyds...I really like that Boyd's Tacticool Stock. The stock on the TRSR is pretty cool...maybe Savage will offer that as an accessory item for the MkII
Wahnsinn
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wahnsinn »

Boyds has some of the TR style stocks for $60 (minor blemishes).
seattlite
Silent But Deadly

Post by seattlite »

Wahnsinn wrote:Boyds has some of the TR style stocks for $60 (minor blemishes).

Oh Yeah ... http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/TACTICAL- ... 99-184.htm

So what other hardware do I need to install this on the FVSR?
Wahnsinn
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wahnsinn »

I think you might need this http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/th ... ark/Detail

It mentions something about a new metal trigger guard set on the Boyds site (as does the one I linked above). I would give them both a call though just to be sure.
kaotic504
Silent But Deadly

Post by kaotic504 »

hey Wahsinn, have you shot yours yet? i'm curious as to the accuracy of the 16" vs the 22". i like my 22" b/c it's VERY accurate. i've read that people typically "bed" Savages and get it worked on for additional accuracy, but mine was pretty darn accurate right out the box. i wish i had my targets to show you but i left them at the range. but, i wish i had the 16" b/c it'd be lighter and would probably fit in my bag w/ the suppressor on it.
Wahnsinn
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wahnsinn »

Not yet, it was a little chilly for my tastes yesterday so I didn't make it out. I'll either head out during the week or this weekend for sure.

Just a warning, my guns typically shoot better than I do, so take my results with a grain of salt...unless they're f'in awesome, then I'm just that good :lol:

I'll do some testing with and without the can on the gun. I've also got a few different types of ammo to try out in it, see what works well.

Aguila Match Rifle (as opposed to the match pistol ammo they sell)
CCI Standard
Remington Subsonic
Federal Target
Remington Gold Bulk
See if I've got anything else laying around.
kaotic504
Silent But Deadly

Post by kaotic504 »

cool.

i tried American Eagle 36gr Hollow Point and 40grain,
Wolf Match,
Federal Match Target
Remington Golden Bullets

they all did well, but i think i'm going to stick to the Federal Match b/c it's cheap and it's accurate. The Wolf is a bit on the pricey side for me and i think i did just as well with the Federal Match. i'll try again soon with cleanings between each type of ammo.
flholdem

Post by flholdem »

For those of you that have this rifle, how is the cheek weld with your scope and rings?

I picked my rifle up today. Brought it home and pulled my Aimpoint Comp M2 w/ LaRue mount off my .22 AR and threw it on this just to see what it was like. The red dot is at least an inch too high, if not 1.5" inches too high. I was thinking of getting a Vortex Viper 2-7 scope for this and I had planned to get American Defense mount (like my LaRue) but I guess this will be way, way too high. I guess I am going to have to use regular rings to mount the scope?
Wahnsinn
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wahnsinn »

flholdem wrote:For those of you that have this rifle, how is the cheek weld with your scope and rings?

I picked my rifle up today. Brought it home and pulled my Aimpoint Comp M2 w/ LaRue mount off my .22 AR and threw it on this just to see what it was like. The red dot is at least an inch too high, if not 1.5" inches too high. I was thinking of getting a Vortex Viper 2-7 scope for this and I had planned to get American Defense mount (like my LaRue) but I guess this will be way, way too high. I guess I am going to have to use regular rings to mount the scope?
I can see that, don't know how much higher the LaRue mount puts the sight, but obviously I'd try to use the lowest mount possible with this. Looks like the TR stock may give a little better cheek weld if you ever decide to switch, the comb looks a little higher on that one. That or pick up an adjustable riser for it.

Mine seems fine, I suppose it could be better if I really had to choose. I don't need to mash my face down to try and see down the scope like I do with some other guns, but there is definitely enough meat touching the comb :D

I just went with some simple Weaver QD rings since it's a .22, didn't need anything spectacular at this point. High quad lock version, matte finish, from Walmart, they were like 10 bucks. Minimum height I needed to clear the objective lens.
Wahnsinn
Silent But Deadly

Added Shooting Results Re: My New Savage MkII FVSR

Post by Wahnsinn »

Ok, so I finally made it out to the range with this new rifle. I said before that my Ruger 22/45 w/ Classic 22Sparrow was ridiculous...this rifle with the 22Sparrow is insanely quiet, couldn't stop smiling :D

Anywho, now to the results. I have to preface this with a few things:
1. I'm not the best shot out there, I'll admit it :lol:
2. I was getting hungry while shooting, so I pulled a couple shots
3. I was using an MCM Shoulder Guard rest for it. Definitely not a precision rest, but it got the job done.
4. Sorry for the shitty pictures, I'm a bad photographer :lol:

That being said, here's what we've got. This is a brand new rifle, I didn't do a thing to it prior to shooting except install the scope and put a threaded spacer on the front (threads are too long). No break in, no cleaning, nothing. I shot maybe 5 shots to get it sighted in with/without the can. Very little to zero POI change when putting the can on. I took a 5 minute break between groups, so the barrel was cold when I started each one. All shooting was done in 5 shot groups at 50 yards. Scope is a Leupold VX-III 4.5-14x40, can is Silencerco Classic 22Sparrow.

This rifle LOVES CCI Standard. If I didn't pull the last shot, it would've grouped somewhere around 1/4" center to center at 50yds. I think that's pretty damn good for me and the rifle. Ammo stayed subsonic of course. And yes, what looks like three holes on the left are actually four.

Second we've got Federal Target Grade Performance (Walmart, comes in a 325 pack). Did ok, went supersonic though.

Next up was the Remington Gold (you know, the Walmart cheap stuff). I pulled one of the shots to the left, other than that it did alright. Also went supersonic.

Now I tried Remington Subsonic. I had mixed results with this in my pistol, but it did ok in the rifle. Stayed subsonic.

Last was Aguila Match Rifle. I pulled the last shot on this one as well, otherwise it did pretty well. This also stayed subsonic.

Overall this rifle kicks ass. Very accurate with a couple different types of ammo, quiet as hell, not a bad price either (under $300). Now when I get a chance we'll see how the rabbits and squirrels like it :twisted:

Tim
kaotic504
Silent But Deadly

Post by kaotic504 »

nice shooting man. i'm going to have to try to CCI's next time i'm out at the range. were all your targets w/ your suppressor on?

oh and to answer the guy above, i don't know the size of your objective, but w/ my Burris FullField II 3x9x40, i use Leupold Med. height rings and it just barely clears. i put on flip up covers and the covers are just a hair above the barrel.
Wahnsinn
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wahnsinn »

Yup, all the targets shown were with the can on. When I sighted in the scope, I did it without the can and it grouped just as well. POI shift was minimal, if anything at all, when I put it on.

One other note on the scope, if you want something lower, you'll probably have to go with the new Leupold VX3-L or VX7 scopes with the scalloped objective lens. You will be able to get away with medium or maybe even lower with those scopes, at least on a 40mm lens.
1mobum
Silent But Deadly

Post by 1mobum »

Does anyone have the thread length on this rifle will have mine tommorow and was curious if my Spectre is gonna bottom out on the thread length. Also if anyone is using a spacer , curious what size space you are using.
Wahnsinn
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wahnsinn »

Yup. I use an extra spacer I had that came with an old muzzle brake, measures .212" in thickness. You can obviously get away with a much slimmer spacer, but that's what I had and had to spend $0 for it!

As for the thread length, mine is .475" from shoulder to tip, and it's threaded all the way (not smooth on the tip like the adapters Silencerco sells for the o-ring engagement). So when I tried to put my Sparrow on there, it bottomed out on the o-ring. I could've wrenched it down to make it fit I'm sure, but it would've eaten up the o-ring inside.
1mobum
Silent But Deadly

Post by 1mobum »

Picked up my rifle and WOW is all I can say. I wondered why everyone said 10/22 was loud when I never thought it was. Its cause I never fired bolt .22 suppressed, I can't believe that a gun shot can be reduced to this it is amazing was an awesome pick up for sure. If anyone has held back on one of these run and grab one now. Well worth the cash.
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Wahnsinn
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wahnsinn »

Did you end up having to put a spacer on it or did your can thread all the way down?
1mobum
Silent But Deadly

Post by 1mobum »

Yes it will need a spacer threads all the way up and then had a tiny gap. I threaded it on and it stop short of shouldering like it should. Haven't had much time to F--k with it at work now , I only had only pulled a couple shots at lunch. It might thread all the way down but it would be close to the 1st baffle for sure. When I get home plan to F--k with some more.

Mine also came with the full rail and the larger bolt knob. Paid $298 after taxes and having the shop special order it. No rings or scope , but no problem have a couple of those hanging aroung. Will post pics when I can. Full rail looks like I can pull off some extra clearance on the scope. Fingers crossed.

Edited to add Spectre thread on there half way then gets tight than a 2yr old. Took a small amount of force to get it off also cold with snow on the ground so maybe this the reason.
Wahnsinn
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wahnsinn »

Dang, wish mine had come with the full rail and large knob, but I still love it the way it is. Which model did you get, 28702 or 28704? The 28704 is the Lipsey's exclusive I believe, 28702 is probably the newer version directly from Savage.

I took mine out again today and ran it at 100yds. Didn't have a rest or anything, just shooting off some sandbags, but it still did awesome. Had to crank the s--t out of my scope to get it to hit center at 100 :lol: Those things must drop like a foot from 50 to 100yds.

Have fun with it!

Tim