LOUD Action Pop on Ruger MK III

Questions and answers, photos, videos, and discussion.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Fargo
Silent But Deadly

LOUD Action Pop on Ruger MK III

Post by Fargo »

Just got a new factory threaded MKIII. Shot a couple rounds through my Outback II and it was louder than hell. I was shooting Rem Subsonics.
I love scotch. Scotchy, scotch, scotch. Here it goes down, down to my belly...
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: LOUD Action Pop on Ruger MK III

Post by Bendersquint »

Fargo wrote:Just got a new factory threaded MKIII. Shot a couple rounds through my Outback II and it was louder than hell. I was shooting Rem Subsonics.
Thats odd as generally those Rugers are one of the quieter actions to suppress. Maybe its your can? When was the last time you cleaned it?
SilentMike
Silent But Deadly

Post by SilentMike »

Try some other ammo. CCi SV and SS are hard to beat.
Mike Smith
Advanced Armament Corp.
770-925-9988
Buzduk
Silent But Deadly

Post by Buzduk »

Fargo wrote:Just got a new factory threaded MKIII. Shot a couple rounds through my Outback II and it was louder than hell. I was shooting Rem Subsonics.
I take it that you have a 22/45. If it is a mkiii I need to know where I can get one. Lol. That being said put in a volquartsen target sear and hammer and it will probably in crease lockup time and quiet that thing down
Matt
Form4
01 FFL / 03 SOT
(631) 721-6201
http://form4.org/
Hush
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hush »

If you have a CO2 BB pistol try firing one or two shots into the threaded end of the can without the BB's this will replace the oxygen and the pop should stop, if it doesn't then the can may be full of crud so clean it like Bendersquint suggests.
Demand stringent background and mental health checks on your politicians.
WooD
Silent But Deadly

Post by WooD »

That is odd.

My Ruger 22/45 is quiter than both of my 10/22's 16" and 18" barrels, and my CMMG 22 upper. I'm using one of those dreaded Mite's too.
STL/N.E.R.D.S.
Silent But Deadly

Post by STL/N.E.R.D.S. »

It's the ammo..
M40A1308M
Silent But Deadly

Post by M40A1308M »

It is the ammo no question!!!!! I have had this happen several time with all sort of .22 guns and only rem subsonic . That ammo is crap. And I find that it happens more with my MK2's and 3's who knows why. Some times little embers of powder pop out and run streaks down your gun. CCI standard is the only way to go.
Jt.kline19
Silent But Deadly

Post by Jt.kline19 »

M40A1308M wrote:It is the ammo no question!!!!! I have had this happen several time with all sort of .22 guns and only rem subsonic . That ammo is crap. And I find that it happens more with my MK2's and 3's who knows why. Some times little embers of powder pop out and run streaks down your gun. CCI standard is the only way to go.
I definetly have ejection port barks with Rem subs, I can always feel how Inconsistant this ammo is, some rounds from rem gold bullets will feel under powered and some make sonic cracks. this is out of a rifle for me
Once a Marine Always a Marine, so why reenlist?
Member of LSU
In Memory of the First Person to Get Me Into Guns, and NFA. RIP Edward R. Kline USAF Retired, August 12, 1953- May 26, 2012
SpaceCoyote308

Post by SpaceCoyote308 »

I know this thread is about ruger handguns, but my 10/22 rifle does the same thing pretty consistantly with Rem Subs. I thought it was the can, tried the can on friends 10/22 no prob. Thought it was a weak recoil spring, swapped out friends recoil spring into my rifle, still does it. I have several friends that frequently use rem subs in their 10/22s with no prob, I just don't know whats up with my 10/22. Rifle & can are frequently cleaned. I need to try out some other ammo and see what happens but I'd still like to know what's different about my 10/22. I need to weigh my bolt compared to freinds bolt and see if maybe mine a little lighter.
M40A1308M
Silent But Deadly

Post by M40A1308M »

Each gun is different in some way shape or form. I have 7 ruger 10/22's and none are the same when it come to that ammo it is the ammo not your gun. Some guns can shoot it most cannot it is bad ammo. I found by using a finish reamer in Bentz auto helps but I did this after 10000 rounds and I also used a chamber iron. But it still happens,I am sure if your friend fires enough of it it will happen in his gun also. I found the only gun it works in is a revolver LOL. There is a good bit of info of how to tune your 10\22 in the silencer book1 and I think there are a couple of tips on 22 .com forum. I think there are allot of thing you can do to get this stuff to work but why waste all that time and money just go buy better ammo. You really can't beat dyna point or CCI standard or there sub for that mater.
David Hineline
Silent But Deadly

Post by David Hineline »

Rem Subsonics are such a weak and inconsistant load that the brass does not expand and seal the chamber, so the noise comes out the action.

Try something else.
NFA shooters blow their load with only one pull of the trigger.
QuadCop444

Post by QuadCop444 »

I'm glad I read this because I had this EXACT problem today during my first shots out of my 22/45 Sparrow combo. I will try CCI SV. When there was no action noise/pop it's was amazing...but every other or third round was cap gun loud.
"I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"
usmcvet0331

Post by usmcvet0331 »

Well I have a few bricks of the Remington sub sonic to burn through but I thought I'd mixed some high velocity in with the subsonic because of the inconsistent cracks. The last s--t is loudest but I assume that is just because the action is open. I shot a box if quiets apt hey did not cycle the action but damn they were quiet.
nice shot
Silent But Deadly

Post by nice shot »

Buzduk wrote:
I take it that you have a 22/45. If it is a mkiii I need to know where I can get one. Lol. That being said put in a volquartsen target sear and hammer and it will probably in crease lockup time and quiet that thing down

Heck Ill sell you mine. . . PM me
YHM 7.62 Phantom QD
T.I. Stratus .22
AAC Eco-9
YHM15 SBR (pending)
strobro32
Silent But Deadly

Post by strobro32 »

I went out today and found that Rem Subs are much louder than CCI SV on a 3.5" barrel MkIII. I never noticed that before. I guess I never put them in the same mag before. I'll have to order another 5K of CCI SV. :)
If it doesn't splatter, shatter, burst or explode, it's not worth shooting.