AK or SKS for SHTF

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Silent But Deadly

Post by 3101 »

negative, privately owned....full of different kinds of imported firearms....
in a seperate part of the warehouse, behind some locked cyclone fencing, were what I would suspect were several tons of AK rifles...looked like the shelves in a Sam's Club stacked with pallets of semi auto AK rifles...
Mr. Burns: This anonymous clan of slack-jawed troglodytes has cost me the election, and yet if I were to have them killed, I would be the one to go to jail. That's democracy for you.
Smithers: You are noble and poetic in defeat, sir.
Davo5o
Silent But Deadly

Post by Davo5o »

Damn, that sucks. :cry:
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free." -Goethe
Hush
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hush »

It sounds like a little of heaven on earth, lol. But like I said earlier its a shame the owner can't sell them for whatever reason, it sounds like a lot of money being tied up. I don't care who you are or what you have in the bank, you'd like to be able to use that money for other projects.
Demand stringent background and mental health checks on your politicians.
Silent But Deadly

Post by 3101 »

the owner had other firearms he could sell, but he had a fortune in the imported AK rifles....
I understand they are still in the warehouse....
the cost to him (storage, security, money lost) must be tremendous...he wouldn't tell me, and I asked....
Mr. Burns: This anonymous clan of slack-jawed troglodytes has cost me the election, and yet if I were to have them killed, I would be the one to go to jail. That's democracy for you.
Smithers: You are noble and poetic in defeat, sir.
Hush
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hush »

I'll hazard a guess that it might be a problem with his import license & BATFEbut who knows?
But it sounds like he's stuck behind the 8 ball thats for sure, as you said the storage, security, money lost must be in the 6 figure plus range.
Demand stringent background and mental health checks on your politicians.
chipmechanic
Silent Operator

Post by chipmechanic »

I bought a milled polytech in 1986 while at jump school . If I remember right it was $600. Blew a months take home on it. It wasnt cheap even then.
orion14

Post by orion14 »

Great posts all, and hello from a new subscriber. This subject can go on forever and a day, because we are talking about 3 great rifles; the SKS, the AK and the AR. I own all three rifles so here are some of my thoughts on the subject:

The SKS is a very reliable weapon that would be good for home defense. With a little practice you can reload the weapon with a stripper clip in around 5 seconds. The large cap mags have been reliable for me but they are a little awkward to lug around. An SKS can be modified to take AK mags but I don't know the legality of that, however in a SHTF situation I think that would be a minor concern.

The AR is a great, accurate rifle if it's kept clean and the mags have not been though a lot of use. The issue with ARs in my experience has always been magazines. The main benefit with the AR is the availability of .223 ammo. If Armories ever have to be raided there will be much .223 and .308 but not much 7.62x39, if any. Also, another great benefit with owning an AR is the ability to slap in a 22lr conversion kit and shoot cheap 22 ammo all day long. We all know how much 500 rounds of .22 costs. Lastly, the AR is easier to control in a rapid fire or full auto scenario.

The AK is a great weapon but to my thinking it is, along with the AR, more of an offensive weapon. If and when civil order breaks down and the hunter-killer teams look to retake areas from the "crimes", these are the two weapons I would want to have.

So, in summary:
If you have an 7.62x39 caliber weapon, just make sure you are well stocked or have the capacity to reload. I would stick with the 10 round capacity for the SKS unless you have the mag well modified to accept AK mags. I would use this weapon for home defense or hunting purposes.

The AK and the AR are, in my humble opinion, more offensive type weapons with the AR being used for an Urban Sniper Rifle. The AK would make a perfect house clearing or close quarters combat weapon as the round has a little bit more power to penetrate areas the Crimes would be hiding behind.

Now, if you want a real reach out and touch weapon, consider a 30-06. Not many places to hide behind if you're on the wrong end of that gun and the ammo for that caliber is almost as plentiful as the .223. :)

Well, that's my 2 cents and it's certainly a pleasure to be on a board with such well informed patriots!
spectac

Post by spectac »

I own some AKs and M-4s but no SKS. Its just to long for my taste. Maybe good in woods or open areas where you will engage at longer ranges, but if you are in urban areas it might be to much to handle. Especially room to room stuff.
everything i really like to do is either illegal, immoral, or fattening.
recon

Post by recon »

Also new, figured I'd mention this; it doesn't look like anyone else has.

I would choose an AK over SKS, because of personal familiarity. However, everyone else here has given plentiful reasons to choose the great AK. But if I were getting one, I would try as hard as possible to get a folding stock. Easier to conceal, easier to carry. Again, personally I would try for a side-folding stock (AKSU, :twisted: ) but the underfolders are just as good and moreover they are cheaper and more plentiful.

If, however, you're not planning on packing an assault rifle under your jacket, a full-stock AK would suit you just as fine. Try to get something nicer than the WASR's if you can, if not just be sure to maintain it. Cheers

(note: this is all speculation/informational educational purposes ONLY, none of this should be taken seriously, it's all fiction whatever :roll: )