Suppressors as SHTF gear?

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Delta3-2
Silent Operator

Post by Delta3-2 »

GlockandRoll wrote:A knife on a stick would be a faster way to kill something than a .22lr, seriously - you would be better off with a .177 pellet rifle.
Sounds like a pretty ridiculous statement. Now....my question to you is " Would you mind getting shot with a .22 LR ?" Perhaps then you'd retract your statement above.

No one wants a hole in themselves....no matter how small.
MD3C
Silent Operator

22LR

Post by MD3C »

I plan on having a quiet 22 in my kit.
I've eaten deer, and elk killed with 22LR way back when. No, I didn't do the shooting.
I'm widowed, kids are gone, and nearly 57.
Now I can afford some of the things that I've wanted for years.
I see several cans in my future.
A 22 with a can is a prerequisite in a SHTF scenario.
M
USE OF DEADLY FORCE AUTHORIZED
Dave3220
Silent Operator

Shooting is fun(ner;-) again....

Post by Dave3220 »

The advantages of having a .22 wiht a good suppressor are so many they don't really need to be gone over.....(It should be obvious to anyone , even with half their brain tied behind their back :) )

I'me kind of in the same bag as the 57 year-old gentleman, a bit older, wife & best friend :-) still with me.
Even tho we live in a rural area there are newly arrived city people who have "escaped" the AO's they may have been better suited to, and who call the "Sherf" to complain when they "hear shooting".
(I haven't heard of anyone making a complaint about shots they did NOT hear, yet ;-), and even for myself, I'me not interested in shooting anything larger than small ga. scatter-piece, or an occassional 7.62x39mm.
Most of my shooting for practice/fun, smallgame/varmint is ahndled wiht a .22 rimfire, and even tho I was inclined to the WMR, I now shoot almost exclusively suppressed .22LRs.
I have tried airguns, and never really "got into" them....They are heavy, springers are akin to shooting a flintlock in their need for "follow-thru", and in the case of PCPs, complex and spendy, as well as being heavy and a bit clumsy for real-world field shooting. (NO WAY a THeroben gas-ram "Crusader in .25 cal. is the equal of a sub-sonic 40 to 60 gr .22 bullet, and NOW WAY is it as handy as a bolt Anshutz or folding stock custom barreled 10-22w/ 16" barrel & 1"x6" SRT on the muzzle.

My SRT "Commanche" has made shooting quieter, more hassle-free, and more fun for ME personally.

I look fwd. to doing WAY more of it after my upcoming cataract operation! :D

Dave3220 (aka Paradox Pete)
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

Well, I for one am now confused.

Can't decide whether to remove my 22 cal. suppressed pistol from my SHTF bag in the M1 Abrahms.

I'm so eaten up about this issue that now I've completely forgotten about how and where to cache my fuel supplies.

I'm really glad, and appreciate, that no one has devolved this very important concern into a mindless, self agrandizing, inane thread.
Sigproshooter
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sigproshooter »

continuity wrote:Well, I for one am now confused.

Can't decide whether to remove my 22 cal. suppressed pistol from my SHTF bag in the M1 Abrahms.

I'm so eaten up about this issue that now I've completely forgotten about how and where to cache my fuel supplies.

I'm really glad, and appreciate, that no one has devolved this very important concern into a mindless, self agrandizing, inane thread.
I have killed more deer with a .22 than any weapon I own.

Reason being, when I was about 12, dad lost his job. Dad and I fed the family with poached deer killed with a single shot from a Winchester model 250.

Don't remove it, prepare to use it.
Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys; look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death.
Sun Tzu
BrianBerto2
Elite Member

Post by BrianBerto2 »

Sigproshooter wrote:I have killed more deer with a .22 than any weapon I own.

Reason being, when I was about 12, dad lost his job. Dad and I fed the family with poached deer killed with a single shot from a Winchester model 250.

This reminds me of a story about some local poachers who used a .22 to down a deer and after loading it into their VAN realized it wasn't dead as it woke up and tore its way out of there. Funny story!

Don't get me wrong though poaching to feed a family in hard times is absolutely justified. Poaching because your freezer is empty and ya have a hankerin for venison steaks, not so much.
[quote="mudshark"]Yeah, everytime I think about a 4.0L getting sodium-whatever-the-hell they're using poured into it to destroy it forever I wanna go out and shoot every fucking polar bear in the Artic. [/quote]

"Now Stan. If you want to put that gun to good use, then use it to shoot my hookers penis off" -Some guy on American Dad
Artful
Silent But Deadly

Post by Artful »

BrianBerto2 wrote:

This reminds me of a story about some local poachers who used a .22 to down a deer and after loading it into their VAN realized it wasn't dead as it woke up and tore its way out of there. Funny story!

Don't get me wrong though poaching to feed a family in hard times is absolutely justified. Poaching because your freezer is empty and ya have a hankerin for venison steaks, not so much.
Yep, got to remember to slit the throat just in case - I had a friend who had that happen put the deer in the trunk - pulled the car into the garage - when then shut the garage door got out opened the trunk and BOOM instant Pandimonium :shock:
"Trying to tax yourself into prosperity is like standing in a bucket and trying to pick yourself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill
Sigproshooter
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sigproshooter »

Artful wrote:
BrianBerto2 wrote:

Yep, got to remember to slit the throat just in case - I had a friend who had that happen put the deer in the trunk - pulled the car into the garage - when then shut the garage door got out opened the trunk and BOOM instant Pandimonium :shock:

Damn :shock: I'll bet :lol:

As I said back then, we were unfortunately left with few alternatives in a bad situation. Head shots, aka little white patch, is the ticket. People who cannot get that haven't had to feed their family with a .22 rimfire and are speculating about something they luckily haven't had to live through.

Looking back on it, it was unfortunate, but a learning experience. Haven't eaten deer for decades. Don't miss it.
Last edited by Sigproshooter on Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys; look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death.
Sun Tzu
tkdmaster

Post by tkdmaster »

Would definably take 7.62 sd can for the 11.5" and 16" 6.8 great advantage if nothing else just to not give away position.
To become stronger one has to face a stronger opponent....
Dave3220
Silent Operator

Re:

Post by Dave3220 »

GlockandRoll wrote:I see very little tactical advantage to a suppressed .22lr that a pellet rifle doesn't offer.
If you are talking high-zoot, shrouded barrel (built-in "legal" suppressors) in a pre-charged pneumatic and disregard the weight and clumsiness factor of most PCPs you STILL have a less effective weapon than a suppressed .22LR.
I have a pretty good PCP...An FX T12 .25 cal.. On most powerful setting it throws a 25 gr. .25 caliber pellet at 850 fps. (Simialr bullet weight and vel. as a .22 Short target velocity load, tho greater diameter and better nose form make it a bit better killer than >22 SHort.)
It is a pretty good small game killer if shots are well-placed and has an exc. trigger and is as accurate to 30 yds. as my old M-52 Win. or Maritinis were with good ammo. (Like Eley TENEX....)
A flat-nosed 40 gr. .22LR @ 1,050 fps hits harder, penetrates any medium you'de like to use better, and is plenty accurate "enuff" for most anything I will want to do with it.

If by "pellet rifles" you are talking about the break-barrel, spring-piston pellet rifles, I have some experience with them as well.
The cheap ones are craptastic junk that cannot be relied upon, the expensive ones like RWS 350 Magnum and the nitrogen -pistoned Theobens are hellishly expensive, much harder to shoot WELL than suppressed .22LR or PCP pellet rifles, heavy and CLUMSY.
They are noisy too.

For the $'s, a Benjamin Marauder(PCP) in .22 or .25 is very probably a good bet...Shrouded barrels and about the same power and noise level (very low) as my FX.
FX & a SHoebox 4,500 psi Compressor ran me about $2,000, but I did not have to wait for the scarey alphabet dept. to piddle around for 6 mo.s to a year (like they are doing with my not-so-recent Sparrow purchase paperwork. )
I have mounted my SRT Commanche (or the SPARROW if I live long enough to get it...) on .22LR or .22 WMR rifles.
1,050 or less fps .22 LR is VERY quiet...
.22WMR at nearly 2,000 fps "cracks" like breaking a dry branch, and even tho it makes more noise than the sub-sonic .22LR, does not carry very far. I can also use 45 gr. .22WRF @ 1,300 fps for body-shots on smallgame and a bit quieter "crack".

Also, sub-sonic ammo does NOT kill very well in the DRT sense unless CNS is hit....Even a heartshot can run a long ways...
W/o the "splash effect" of higher velocities, you lose the dramatic killing ability unless your shot is place RIGHT, even with .30 cal. .357 cal. and .44 cal. Flat noses and especially WC's "help".
Even in .22LR below speed of sound (aprox. 1,080 fps) and "Hi-Vel" (aprox. 1,300 fps) , using similarly flat-nosed bullets, you give away some noticable yardage for near-silence when shooting small varmints/smallgame. (Sub-sonic 40 gr. FN kills about the same @ 40 to 50 yds. as FNed Hi-Vel does @ 65 or 70 yds...(In my personal experience..."Results may differ" ;-)

The gentleman I quoted has made-up his mind, so I am writing for those of you who haven't spent the years and the $'s to learn the hard way.
Keep an open mind about this sort of thing and after getting acquinted with those who have already been down this or very similar "roads" that you are embarking on, & some deep thought about what is really NEEDED rather than "what looks 'tacti-cool' " before laying out the $'s, then find out what works for YOU thru your own personal experience..

Davo