Leaving mags loaded?

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Dave3220
Silent Operator

Deteriorating magazines....

Post by Dave3220 »

Only ones I have had go bad on me are: ANY large cap. 10-22 mags. EXCEPT Tactical Innovations ones, and VEGA 1911 magazines.
THe Vegas I bought when I was in my 1911 phase years ago, and were "the best" available...THEN...
Those same magazines NOW tend to blow the floorplate off like a tricks-jokes-fool-your-friends can of springsnakes.
I think the spot welded floor plates suffer some sort of weld embrittlement that mebbe would not have happened if it weren't S.S. (?)

My ancient Glock magazines are still un-broken, but I am dubious about Glock after having one of my floorplates pop off at a match when I brushed it with my coat cuff....(Spring-snake effect to the MAX, complete w/ 17 rds. of 9x19mm.

A guy in NM where I was visiting and working in my amigo's saddle shop had the floor-plate on his Ruger 9mm come off out in the sagebrush while he was horseback....(NOW, mebbe he'll carry spare magazines! LOL!!!)

Dave
fstbk65
Silent But Deadly

Post by fstbk65 »

The only gun I've had trouble with spring set was a Mossberg 590. The last 2 rounds are slow to feed. It stayed loaded (tube only) under the bed for a few years.

As far as Glock mags, I had a full G21 mag that I dropped during a shoot and the base flew off and it flung ammo everywhere. It was broken and I couldn't put it back together.

My surefire solutiuon to ar mags is stripper clips. You can load 30 rds in seconds especially if you have an aftermarket stripper clip guide/loader. I keep just a couple loaded for immediate use but have an ammo can full of loaded stripper clips with loader right next to my mags. Just wish I could make it work with magpul or MSAR stg mags :(
BWT
Silent But Deadly

Post by BWT »

This keeps creeping into the back of my mind as I buy mags for different guns...

There are some great polymer weapons/magazines out there.

I'm still hesistant.

Here's something we can test.

How are the pistol grips and stocks holding up on old Vietnam Era M16's?

I don't know if Magpul uses the same material, but I'm curious.
MedicineMan

Post by MedicineMan »

BWT wrote: Here's something we can test.

How are the pistol grips and stocks holding up on old Vietnam Era M16's?

I don't know if Magpul uses the same material, but I'm curious.
Pretty dang good for 50 year old plastic.
(i know, it's not plastic)
aml
Elite Member

Post by aml »

I have co workers who have had their magazines (Mec-Gar/Sig) loaded almost continuously (unless cleaning or reloading at the range) for approximately ten years, without any problems. The only problems I have encounted with the magazines are problems that I cannot explain. I have had five magazines that would not load to the full 12 round capacity (they would only take 11 rounds and properly feed into the magazine well) for an unknown reason. That problem was solved with a call to customer service.

I used to unload my duty magazines out of fear of inducing magazine spring fatigue, but got over that quickly. My mags have been loaded constantly for 6 years now and still run without a problem.
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Under Heading "Modern Metallurgy"

Post by Historian »

hemi wrote:Springs don't weaken from being under pressure. It's the constant loading/unloading that slowly weakens them. LOAD THEM BITCHES UP.
Same concern in 1960's. Physicist shooter friend gave me an introduction on the advances of steel springs, etc. So, as you wisely state, keep them loaded. Better to have to replace springs if necessary rather than have no back up rounds instantaneously available. Just my experience.

Oh, I still purchased replacement springs for all my mags (.45, PPK, Hi-Power, etc) ... just in case. Never have needed to replace in ensuing years on my carry pieces. They still look pretty in tool chest though.
TEXMEX
Silent Operator

Re:

Post by TEXMEX »

stymie wrote:You can get away with full storage on a single stack mag in general, but that doesn't apply to a double.
And why is that, enlighten us please.
Artful
Silent But Deadly

Re: Re:

Post by Artful »

TEXMEX wrote:
stymie wrote:You can get away with full storage on a single stack mag in general, but that doesn't apply to a double.
And why is that, enlighten us please.
IHMO much less spring pressure, and the geometery of the design tends not to have as much force against the sides.
"Trying to tax yourself into prosperity is like standing in a bucket and trying to pick yourself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill
BLACK XS
Silent But Deadly

Re:

Post by BLACK XS »

robpiat wrote:
The polymer AK-74 mags have been around for 30 years or so and have not seen hardly any issues and have been battle tested.

They are reinforced in a few locations with steel though.
QFT, I got a few from a buddy, seem fairly ancient and they almost stand up better than the newer mags I've bought recently.
300BLKforums.com
DoubletapperG35

Re: Leaving mags loaded?

Post by DoubletapperG35 »

I have found that after 10 years ish of storing my AR mags loaded, a few of them had a hard time fitting into the magazine well. If I can slam them in with a love tap, they are not drop free when ejected. I have only had these problems with 2 Okay Industries, 1 Colt, and 4 Bushmaster's. The other 50 are good to go. So far. My PMAGS have no issues with storage. The only issue I have had with PMAG is if you drop a fully loaded on to the groung on a hard surface, it will have a nice diagonal crack from the bottom up 1/4 of the mag. However, they still functioned....
TonyT
Silent But Deadly

Post by TonyT »

I have one of the first 17's in country, converted it to a post sample, and have been hosing it since the 80's (mags too) No problems. If i kept records I am certain that it has been statistically more reliable than any other MG I have ever owned. The only jams I can think of came from using Sherer mags in it.
Don't redistribute my wealth, redistribute my work ethic!
shootstr8

Post by shootstr8 »

If you are worried about keeping magazines loaded for long periods, then try using stripper clips. Keep a few mags loaded, and then keep a box of ammo pre-loaded on stripper clips. Rotate the loaded mags every so often.

For example: http://thetacticalgearstore.com/g-59610.html
Nypto

Post by Nypto »

1969, I came upon an area (Rotenfels Mts by Bad Kreuznach Germany) A flac battery was destroyed and blew off the mountain and pieces were scattered all up the jagged crevices. I found a full 20mm magizine and the spring tension was good when I removed the shells, after all those years outside.
nice shot
Silent But Deadly

Post by nice shot »

We keep mags at work fully loaded all the time. HK ump / p2000, mil spec ar mags

All function perfectly everytime we use them. . .
YHM 7.62 Phantom QD
T.I. Stratus .22
AAC Eco-9
YHM15 SBR (pending)
kingair76py

Post by kingair76py »

you can buy new P-mags for 12 each at my LGS... I only keep 6 on stand by.. at that price even if they only lasted a few years or so thats fine with me. they are light, work great and hold up to alot of range work and being stepped on a ton..
ERMaag

Post by ERMaag »

If you're worried about your mags not working if you store them loaded...then just go with a revolver. :lol:

edited to add more than just a joke: :D

We keep sig and colt mags fully loaded at all times (besides for cycling through fresh ammo) haven't had a real issue with them. The only time I see one break is during magazine changes, when the mag hits the deck and the base pops off. That is more of a issue of just wear and tear rather than spring failure though.
CATM93

Post by CATM93 »

I wouldn't worry about it. When we had to leave Thailand in 1976, we had to unload literally thousands of magazines that had been loaded back in the early years of the Vietnam war, issued out almost daily to the flights, and had little done to maintain them. We sat in the armory and filled up trash cans with the rounds contained in them. Springs were still good in them and I never heard anything about the magazines not working. The stuff we had at Udorn RTAFB was old beyond belief. I was sent out with a Supply Sgt to unload some XM-174 Grenade Machine gun drum magazines. The ammunition in them(the same round used in the M-79 and M-148 Grenade Launchers) was corroded, but the magazines still worked O.K. . In the Air Force, magazines are loaded and issued out daily. Very seldom did we ever unload them or exchange out the ammunition unless it was found to be defective, or something was found to be wrong with that lot number. Every now and then Munitions would have us unload our magazines and expend the rounds for training. We would then just reload the old magazines.
Baffled
Silent But Deadly

Post by Baffled »

This is an old thread with good information.

In the late 1980's, I was walking around an Air Force base (Eglin in Florida) and found a "banana mag", loaded, on the ground. It was an M-1 carbine 30 rounder. The exterior was solid rust, but the spring still had tension.

The mag had to date from early Vietnam era, when base security was still using the carbine, so I'm guessing 25+ years on the ground.

For long storage, I think the way to go is to download. 30 rd AR mags get 25 rounds. With any mag, it is always that last 10% of the cartridges that really puts a strain on the spring and the mag body.
Artful
Silent But Deadly

Post by Artful »

Usually down load by 2 anyway for reliability in my double feed mag's
- why two - so that rounds are in same orientation on feed lips as designed for
-18 rounds in 20 round AR
-28 rounds in 30 round AR
-23 rounds in 25 round UZI
"Trying to tax yourself into prosperity is like standing in a bucket and trying to pick yourself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Post by whiterussian1974 »

Artful wrote:Usually down load by 2 anyway for reliability in my double feed mags.
Agreed, plus rotate your mags. Have at least 4 so that they can "rest" for 90 days after 30 days loaded,
If spring has problems, replace it.
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314
dtom29
Silent But Deadly

Post by dtom29 »

Artful wrote:Usually down load by 2 anyway for reliability in my double feed mag's
- why two - so that rounds are in same orientation on feed lips as designed for -18 rounds in 20 round AR
-28 rounds in 30 round AR
-23 rounds in 25 round UZI
AH, I think they feed from the other side just as well....probably designed to feed from that side as well. The main idea is to have your fully loaded mags(either all 30 rounds or 28) feeding from the same side all the time so you can remove the mag and see if a round chambered without manipulating the charging handle or slide. The only reason to download a mag is to make it easier to seat on a closed bolt (AR15/M16) You don't need to do this on an AK because of the rocking in method of seating those mags. If you have mags that need to be rotated and "rested" you need to buy better mags....
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

dtom29 wrote: If you have mags that need to be rotated and "rested" you need to buy better mags....
That sums up my position on this.

I have had mags loaded to capacity for over 10 years and they still shoot just fine, no jams, misfeed or other issues.
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Post by whiterussian1974 »

Bendersquint wrote:
dtom29 wrote: If you have mags that need to be rotated and "rested" you need to buy better mags....
Perhaps you are familiar with plastic deformation due to compressive stress?
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

whiterussian1974 wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:
Perhaps you are familiar with plastic deformation due to compressive stress?
Yes I am aware and it still doesn't matter.

I have PMags that have been loaded for closing on 10 years and metal mags older than that and no issues so far.

I also have a HD AR15 with the mag loaded and the bolt locked to the rear and no spring tension issues so far and last time time the spring was tested it had the same strength of a NIB spring.

Would I keep a high strength spring like on a cars suspension compressed for long durations? Probably not but for these applications I don't worry about it.
speed6
Senior Silent Operator

Post by speed6 »

The company I work for used to make industrial valve actuators that used huge springs to close the valve. I am talking 20+ ft tall springs, compressed almost solid. The valves and acutators were rated for 40 years of service at 120F + ambient temp, without replacing the springs. Not certain of the material, but the springs were not SS, maybe chrome silicon. They would be closed for a few weeks every 18 months. I have not heard of any sites needing replacement springs.

That being said, I keep my mags loaded. PMags in my SHTF stash have the covers on them; I know the springs won't creep at room temps but the plastic might. My training mags I only load 2/3 full to keep cyclic stress to a minimum. Ones I store are loaded to capacity. I keep spare parts (springs, followers, floorplates) and spare mags (lots of them, like 20 a rifle at least, pmags and metal GI mags) for when my mags inevitably wear out or are damaged. I only keep about 10 mags loaded for my go-to rifle, mainly cause I don't think I would ever need more than that.