How "tac" do you guys look with your gear?

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Lindenwood
Silent But Deadly

Post by Lindenwood »

Neat video. Are you saying all those people using belt holsters can't be wrong? I didn't say it was wrong, but I did give several reasons why I didn't want one.
flip
Elite Member

Post by flip »

I'm saying fundamentals and knowing how to uses said tool of violence is more improtant in 99% of gunfights than how much ammo/gear you think you might need. That said, if you walked into a store even with a less obvious or looser jacket I would pick you out from a mile away and have my eye on you the whole time you were anywhere near me. If you are worried about falling down and losing stuff in a camping situation, I don't know how on earth magnets are going to retain your mags better than an attached back up mag pouch. What state are you in anyway? Knowing this may better help everyone understand what carry options you have and how to make the best of them.
Personally, if I felt the overwhelming need to carry camping and your state allows OC I would be getting set up like costa, that is why I posted the link. Your firearm is close at hand, retained well and is somewhat hideable if you don't like lookie loos.
Lindenwood
Silent But Deadly

Post by Lindenwood »

Yeah, I know it wouldﳄ still be somewhat obvious to experienced carriers that I was carrying if I wore this vest in the aforementioned special public cases (in the outdoors, or public crises). However, in those cases I am not worried about other CCers, but am instead worried about antigun citizens calling me out on it, or antigun LEOs hassling me over it. For camping or whatever, I don't expect to be around a bunch of soccer moms and city kids unless I am in one of the standard public campgrounds, in which case I would just CC IWB like normal and just expect not to be extremely active. For the public crises, I am thinking more about situations in which the majority of people still out would be paicked and hurried enough to not notice a lump on my stomach.

As far as the magnets go, the carrier is already pretty tight and the magnets are very strong. Even with just the magnets by myself, I've done jumping jacks and ran around in the yard with my dogs without either of the loaded 21rd mags sliding off. The mag carrier itself adds further security and guarantees the mags can't come out unless I pull them out, which itself takes a good bit of force. I am extremey comfident the mag carrier would rip off before I lost a mag. The stand-alone magnet on the other side is just for empties, and without the weight of the rounds there is very little risk of them coming off. However, as I mentioned in the other thread, I might purchase one of those dump pouches in the future for empties, but for the time being the magnet serves its purpose well enough. And given how unlikely I am to need to retain empties for anything more then competiton (as admitted, zombies aren't real :( ), it is not a high priority to spend a bunch of money sampling dump pouches that Ill hardly need anyways.
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

Ultimately tacticooled out............ :lol:
What amount of a man is composed of his own collection of experiences... and the conclusions that those experiences have allowed him to "know" for certain as "Truth"? :Ick
flip
Elite Member

Post by flip »

continuity wrote:Image

Ultimately tacticooled out............ :lol:
Man, you get dressed up when you go out don't you :P
Lindenwood
Silent But Deadly

Post by Lindenwood »

Haha sweet. Im diggin the overalls.

....when the zombies come... *tries to resist*... you willl... *fights temptation to acknowledge existance of imaginary virus*... own them!
Black
Silent But Deadly

Post by Black »

I just wear whatever I've found to work well... mostly TAD Gear.
"God is not on the side of the big battalions, but on the side of those who shoot best." - Voltaire

[url=http://s275.photobucket.com/albums/jj315/Montaska/Firearms/]My Photobucket[/url]
stevejobs
Silent But Deadly

Post by stevejobs »

Lindenwood wrote:You know, if you guys would actually point out the actual flaws, maybe I might learn what you think I should? So far, you've provided little more than "omg wtf lolzors?"
It just reminds me a little of this. That part when he opens his coat.

But I'm just kidding. I think it's cool. If it's practical for you then I'm all for it.
Lindenwood
Silent But Deadly

Post by Lindenwood »

For a long time that was been my all-time favorite movie series.... so maybe I subconsciously was trying to emulate the "matrixian feel," haha.

But, I do think it will work for me! However, I am completely open to useful suggestions for practical improvements, though I pretty much skip past those that say "that's stupid because it's different." :)
Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Twinsen »

I think you should carry a lot less stuff than what you showed in those pictures. Try out carrying... the gun itself.
ThePatriot wrote:When I want to get tactical I start out naked and put on my vietnam jungle boots (after I scrape out the waffle with a stick from stomping queers!), tape my gigantic cock to my leg (no snags), dual wield glocks with 33 round mags and rock-n-roll free as a bird. Also my ultra-whiteness works as a reflector blinding all enemies with an equivalent of 1,000,000 lumens. White power!
I laughed, a lot.
Cheetah
Silent But Deadly

Post by Cheetah »

Lindenwood wrote:But, I do think it will work for me! However, I am completely open to useful suggestions for practical improvements, though I pretty much skip past those that say "that's stupid because it's different." :)
That's the thing. There were more than a handful of posts that provided logical suggestions, that weren't making fun of your kit, from guys with experience in all the situations you outlined, and more (except perhaps your beloved zombie fantasy). Even though you were given plenty of great information you blew every bit of it off for one reason or another.

You're unwilling to listen to reasonable suggestions for whatever reason. Any time something was pointed out that could help you, the poster was told they didn't understand your situation and why you want to have that gear setup. I don't know how many times you told us "My EDC is under control, this is for camping and going out during a crisis." Yeah, we got that. Getting "hassled" by anti-gun citizens is about as likely as getting carjacked by an aboriginal tribesman. You think someone who hates guns is going to confront you when you're carrying a fairly intimidating piece of steel? No. They call the police, your worst nightmare is confirmed and the single least informed LEO in your district responds and gives you a hard time. If you do your research and prepare yourself and YOU know the laws and you're respectful, it may turn into a 20 minute hassle that ends with the cop saying "alright, sorry about that, it is legal after all, but it's bothering people, so could you please put it away?"

You think a group of guys who own short rifles and shotguns, machineguns, silencers, grenade launchers, and everything else you can take out of a hollywood movie don't get hassled by police for having "illegal" weapons? YES, YES THEY DO. That's why they DO THEIR RESEARCH, they KNOW THE LAWS, and THEY are prepared to respectfully inform the responding/problematic officer to the truth. I bet if you start a poll asking how many people carry a letter from the ATF confirming the legality of some specific toy to the range, you'll get a good number of guys. Ask how many carry the number to the ATF in their phones? Most, guaranteed. How many have their state DOJ? At least a few.

Don't expect the world around you to accommodate you, you need to be prepared to protect yourself with conversation and an education LONG before you're going to need to do so with a firearm.

Step back from your zeal and consider the realism of every situation you intend to carry in. How likely is a local crisis where you're going to need to carry massive firepower? Unless you live in Compton, you're probably not going to be seeing that one any time soon. Zombies ain't happening. Neither is a joint Spanish/Cuban/Russian aerial invasion where you're going to run to the hills with some buddies, then need to sneak back into town hiding your pistol.

Tailor your gear to what you're actually going to need it for. If that rig is going to work for you for shooting competitions, then great. My only advice is to turn your mag pouches around, it'd make for a bit more fluid of a draw for a reload, but that's obviously preference. If your IWB isn't secure enough to be active in, I suggest finding a new one.

When I first got my CCW I carried my J-frame 357 IWB. It would practically fall out if I yawned. When I decided to try carrying my 1911, it was even less secure, until I dropped $80 or something on a QUALITY IWB holster, now I could swim from Miami to Cuba, fight a cage match on the beach, and come out of it with my pistol still exactly where it started, and all this while actually speeding up my draw time over cheaper holsters.
Lindenwood
Silent But Deadly

Post by Lindenwood »

Cheetah wrote: That's the thing. There were more than a handful of posts that provided logical suggestions, that weren't making fun of your kit, from guys with experience in all the situations you outlined, and more (except perhaps your beloved zombie fantasy). Even though you were given plenty of great information you blew every bit of it off for one reason or another.
Yes, there were several posts by those giving me worthy advice. I casually explained why what worked for them did not work for me. I am not going to copy and paste this whole thread, but if you can find an example of me blowing off good suggestions WITHOUT posting a perfectly logical justification (which were plentiful and very detailed), I might understand where you're coming from here.

In this thread, I addressed each mentioned holster type (thigh, belt, shoulder, and IWB) and firearm location and explained very clearly why I prefered my carry location to those. Nobody has explicitely challenged the validity of those statements, so I'll continue to believe they are accurate.
Cheetah wrote: You're unwilling to listen to reasonable suggestions for whatever reason.
ABSOLUTELY untrue. Please find one example of me stating a suggestion was not worth my time. If it wasn't worth my time, I wouldn't have spent so much time in this thread explaining why those suggestions would not work for me and the situations in which I intend to use this. To not immediately act on every suggestion is NOT synonymous with "blowing them off."
Cheetah wrote: Any time something was pointed out that could help you, the poster was told they didn't understand your situation and why you want to have that gear setup.
So, it is wrong to request information pertinent to my situation and goals? If I want a pistol, would I be "blowing off" anyone who suggested a rifle by not buying a rifle?
Cheetah wrote: I don't know how many times you told us "My EDC is under control, this is for camping and going out during a crisis." Yeah, we got that.
I repeated it as necessary:
Lindenwood wrote: BTW, perhaps I exaggerated the "going to walmart" thing. More accurately, I guess mean going to walmart (or any public location) at the onset of a crisis, where everyone is panicked and rushing. Thus, a lump under my shirt probably won't get me into any trouble unless I directly pass a cop, but having a gun openly on my chest might cause a stir when some soccer mom yells "oh my God he's got a GUN!" Really, I want something that is sturdy, comfortable, and secure enough to use for a hiking trip or the zombie apocolypse, but simple enough that I won't get made fun of at the range and that I can decently conceal well enough to fool quick or distant glances.
But then...

A reply about daily concealed carry:
Not knowing the weather there will just say what I do here in WA state. I carry a full sized .40 pistol on my strong side hip in a Serpa and two spair mags on off side, a back up .380 in a pocket holster in my pants cargo pocket and a little .25 pocket pistol with spair mag in my light jacket. I will also carry other items in different pockets but even when I am out with my friends who do not really like guns they do not know that I have them on me, and with the weather here do not have really ahve t change my dress to cover it.
Another reply related to everyday concealed carry:
Dude...seriously... smaller gun. A Taurus PT92 is an awfully big, thick gun to try to carry concealed without a lot of major changes to your wardrobe and/or a lot of discomfort. Even a full size 1911 would at least be thinner/more concealable/more comfortable. Save the PT 92 for the zombies. If money is a concern, and you already like Taurus, their model 85CH bobbed hammer 38sp. revolver is affordable and very concealable for every day carry. Definitely NOT mall ninja. This thing just disappears and is short enough for strong side IWB or appendix carry. Of course, I'm in the desert southwest where T-shirt and shorts are the norm for 10 months out of the year.
I recommend you research the tried-and-true methods of concealed carry from reputable resources. There is a ton of outstanding information out there, including books, videos, and classes. Learn from the experts, figure out what methods are best suited for your lifestyle, then worry about the gear.
I figured out real fast (I got my CWP finally about a month ago), that I can often times only carry a pistol, and I need to get a single mag carrier, because double mag carriers will basically make my front left pocket unable to use.

I also figured out that Sweaters (Never wore hoodies, just never have) are gone, as the elastic band around the bottom constricts and makes the pistol print. I need to buy T-Shirts at XL or XXL to conceal in dark colors.

Drawing with a jacket on sucks when drawing from anything behind 3 o'clock, I need to figure out a new system.

I like my Comp-Tac Spartan, but I'm not thrilled with it...

I also don't like the fact that kydex rubs off onto stainless steel. So I have faint black streaks on my pistol.

I think concealed carrying is going to take more time to figure out.
I was not at all upset or annoyed at these replies, and I always appreciate the time someone would take to answer a question. However, due to these responses I felt it necessary to clarify again that I was not talking about general concealed carry, and thus posted:
Lindenwood wrote:Sorry, I don't think you guys are understanding where I'm coming from...
Cheetah wrote: Getting "hassled" by anti-gun citizens is about as likely as getting carjacked by an aboriginal tribesman. You think someone who hates guns is going to confront you when you're carrying a fairly intimidating piece of steel?
Cheetah wrote: No. They call the police
I didn't think I'd be confronted for the most part. I was, like you, figuring they would call the police. However, out in the woods I can definitely see another hiker or camper being at least apprehensive by my presence, and I generally prefer to come off as friendly and peaceful.

I do know this is all unlikely, though. I have gone shooting many many times at the edge of my city along a wide river bed running through a wooded area. I have run into at least a dozen people out there, while shooting my EBR 10/22 and pistol, and nobody even gave off any negative vibes. Still, I have read enough stories about people getting hassled to varying degrees that I'd like to avoid it if possible, because I share the same sentiment as many here that I don't want to stand out, and I don't necessarily like letting people know I am armed.
Cheetah wrote: your worst nightmare is confirmed and the single least informed LEO in your district responds and gives you a hard time. If you do your research and prepare yourself and YOU know the laws and you're respectful, it may turn into a 20 minute hassle that ends with the cop saying "alright, sorry about that, it is legal after all, but it's bothering people, so could you please put it away?"
Yeah, you are probably right. But, avoiding that trouble in the first place is obviously more effective, don't you think? I won't get into open carry laws and such, but isn't that why so many CCers still won't OC in states where it is completely legal, because of the potential hassles associated with it?

But, are you just trying to get me to not worry about concealing me pistol? Why?
Cheetah wrote: That's why they DO THEIR RESEARCH, they KNOW THE LAWS, and THEY are prepared to respectfully inform the responding/problematic officer to the truth.
I do, I do, and I am. I have stated in this thread even I understand the laws pertinent to the related situations, but not everyone does. I even carry the "Oklahoma Self defense Act" handbook around with me. But, as I have read many stories of people legally OCing being tackled and cuffed by police offers and dragged to the station, only to hours later be released after the LEOs figure it out, I don't find it that hard to believe I could run into a cop who doesn't want to sit there while I look up the laws in my book, and instead is just eager to haul me in to get some more dirt off the streets? I'd say that could ruin a weekend.
Cheetah wrote: Don't expect the world around you to accommodate you, you need to be prepared to protect yourself with conversation and an education LONG before you're going to need to do so with a firearm.
Indeed. That is why I like to stay concealed even when OCing is legal, because I don't expect everyone around me to accomodate me and my desire to carry a firearm.
Cheetah wrote:Step back from your zeal and consider the realism of every situation you intend to carry in.
I do. I admit I am more "extreme" than average in that I prefer to carry a full-sized handgun -- and have been happily adjusting my wardrobe and lifestyle to it. But at the same time I know and know of people who carry two or three reloads, or in some cases multiple firearms (like the above poster who sometimes carries three guns and three spare mags).
Cheetah wrote:How likely is a local crisis where you're going to need to carry massive firepower?
Not very likely, which is why I said this:
Lindenwood wrote:4) I do not expect to need that much ammo for any situation except for competitions, which is why I said I would like to make the magazine carrier and retention magnet removable for normal outdoor use, while being reattachable for competition and training.
Cheetah wrote: Zombies ain't happening. Neither is a joint Spanish/Cuban/Russian aerial invasion where you're going to run to the hills with some buddies, then need to sneak back into town hiding your pistol.
1) I thought it has already been established that I only refer to zombies jokingly and simply use it as a practically universal way to say "really bad situation."
2) Given the number of threads on just the first page of the survival forums involving "SHTF" weaponry, I thought casual talk of these things, while understanding their relative unlikelihood, was acceptable:
viewtopic.php?t=46960
viewtopic.php?t=43467
viewtopic.php?t=34144
viewtopic.php?t=39602
viewtopic.php?t=48220
viewtopic.php?t=47007
viewtopic.php?t=5937
viewtopic.php?t=34787
viewtopic.php?t=18710
viewtopic.php?t=32828
viewtopic.php?t=47861
viewtopic.php?t=7920
viewtopic.php?t=51264
viewtopic.php?t=30357
viewtopic.php?t=39545
Cheetah wrote: My only advice is to turn your mag pouches around, it'd make for a bit more fluid of a draw for a reload, but that's obviously preference.
Thanks. I promise I am not blowing you off, but I do have reasons to I have them facing forward instead of another direction: I can access them while sitting or while backed against a wall. You are right that in a standing position it might be more fluid to draw the mags backwards, but that would not be possible if my back is obstructed by a car seat or I am leaning against a wall. However, in the prone position, it would probably be easier to draw the mags backwards, so maybe I will consider that. Of course, it would be easier to roll to the side to grab the mags from the front (when the carrier front-facing) than it would be to move enough to extract a mag from the rear if I am sitting in a vehicle. I know those situations are unlikely, but see my above comment. Also, see that training video posted previously by flip. They are actively training in all sorts of positions (in fact, that is some of the most aggressive training I've ever seen or heard of), so me just acknowledging the possibility of finding myself in those positions can't be too crazy, if those guys are are actively teaching it.
Cheetah wrote: If your IWB isn't secure enough to be active in, I suggest finding a new one.

When I first got my CCW I carried my J-frame 357 IWB. It would practically fall out if I yawned. When I decided to try carrying my 1911, it was even less secure, until I dropped $80 or something on a QUALITY IWB holster, now I could swim from Miami to Cuba, fight a cage match on the beach, and come out of it with my pistol still exactly where it started, and all this while actually speeding up my draw time over cheaper holsters.
Thanks. Perhaps you are right. When I got home from picking up my permit, I immediately put my pistol in my waist band, went to Academy, and bought the holster that I had previously researched and found received the highest reviews after trying it out in the bathroom. The outside is very grippy and does not slide against my clothes, and the inside is very slick to promote a smooth draw. Perhaps next time I go to a gun store I will see if I can try out some type of "snap-in" holster to better retain my weapon. Though, I feel like at the same time that would just slow my draw down in the same way a holster would that wasn't as slick internally. The only other thing I can think of to help keep my weapon in place is active retention, but I don't know of many IWB holsters with thumb breaks or retention straps.

Again, that was not me "blowing off your advice." That was me simply discussing the merits of a given item, which is pretty much the entire purpose of an internet forum, no?

Wow, that was long...
Last edited by Lindenwood on Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Gunsmith.JM
Silent But Deadly

Post by Gunsmith.JM »

Ok, some honest advice:

1. If this is planning for a "zombie" apocalypse, you might as well tune the kit for some type of modern guerrilla warfare as it will preform the same while being potentially useful. This can also double as a good camping kit as to not attract too much attention from anyone you might run into.

2. Keep in mind that there is no reason to conceal anything if the kit draws unnecessary attention to you. (hate to say it but yours does). In my mind, all this type of kit has to do is to cover your gear and keep you from standing out of a crowd.

3. If you are planning on concealing, do not try to have too much equipment on your 1st line. Keep everything TIGHT to your body but use a comfortable retention holster. If you need a suggestion on a holster, I run Bianchi CarryLoks and love 'em. A pistol, one to two extra magazines, a good knife, and possibly a Mini RollyPoly will do it.

4. Remember, a pistol is NOT a combat weapon system. It is a defensive tool which should be used to either get you to a carbine or battle rifle; OR a last ditch tool used when your primary weapon system is out of commission.

5. A backpack is your friend. Not only does it look inconspicuous, but it can retain a carbine with ammunition to feed it.

Follow those suggestions and I think you'll be immediately in a better place with your load-out.
Lindenwood
Silent But Deadly

Post by Lindenwood »

Thanks for that advice. When you say this stomach holster (Im assuming you mean with all the extra mag attachments) draws unnecessary attention to me, do you mean compared to a more normal concealment setup? If so, then yeah I concur for sure.

Most of my weapon stuff is built around at least the awareness that if it ever hits the fan bad enough to drive me out of my home, I will still want to look the least threatening as possible, while having the most effective gear as possible, as I make my way to my BOL. Even if I have a lump on my stomach that many trained and experience gun-folk would recognize as a firearm, I would still appear much less threatening to most of those people than having it exposed and quite possibly giving off an "asking for trouble" vibe. And, unless it is super hot, I have other more loose-fitting hoodies and vests that do not show nearly as much, if at all. However, the risk of attracting additional attention to myself is worth the mental security of knowing my pistol won't fall out if I have to jump a fence or something.

My EDC "survival-related" tools, other than standard items like wallet and phone and keys, include a mini leatherman multitool, a 4" fixed-blade knife, my pistol (when not at school or work), pepper spray, a flashlight, and a lighter. When in the outdoors, the only things that aren't in my backpack itself would be those items (which are always on me anyways), and my pistol. So I absolutely agree about "level one" setup and I've been slowly adding and making adjustments to it as I make new discoveries in the world of tools and gear.

I originally started toying with stomach-carry when I found one of those concealment bands that wraps around your stomach region and has a holster to keep the pistol flat against your body. I tried to emulate the rig with various items on hand (belts, my old belt holster, etc), and found that in general that was a comfortable carry position for me, and with the right setup could potentially be reasonably concealable.

Thanks again.

BTW, I post questions like this here because, overall, the members of this forum seem more open-minded (not surprising, given it is centered around NFA items), and generally more willing to engage in serious debate. So, thanks to all of you who live up to that.
Lindenwood
Silent But Deadly

Post by Lindenwood »

I was talking to my parents about the holster, and came up with perhaps a better way to explain what I was going for:

This holster is designed with comfort and security FIRST, with concealment second. A concealment holster, in large part, in designed with concealment and perhaps comfort first in mind, with physical security given slightly less emphasis.

That said, I'll have to post a pic later of it under this black t-shirt. I'd give it an "80%" as far as overall concealment goes, as it only starts to print if I lean back, which is more than I was hoping for. Any extra clothing over this, provided it's not that tight vest, would just further conceal it. It's been snowing so I've been wearing it out with my winter coat to test its comfort.
Davo5o
Silent But Deadly

Post by Davo5o »

Here's a "real" world option.

http://www.uscav.com/Productinfo.aspx?p ... &TabID=548

Watch the video at the bottom, and see all the options.

Notice the pistol pack can be removed and worn on your belt, and armor panels can be inserted for extra protection.
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free." -Goethe
Lindenwood
Silent But Deadly

Post by Lindenwood »

Now that is DEFINITELY sweet and would have done most everything I am wanting and, in some cases, more. For hiking and camping, that would be a perfect "level-two" carry for the essentials, allowing me to carry a backpack for food and comfort items. For tactical use, it seems easily as fast on the draw as my holster (whereas my left hand is required to quickly release the retention strap, the left hand with that pouch is required to unzip the flap). The only potential downside would be holstering with a suppressor, but that really is not a primary concern.

Of course, $10 was a lot easier to swallow than $120+, but I might actually get one of those in the near future for outdoor activities.

Thanks for that link.

*edit*

BTW, I took off the magazine carrier and magnet and have been carrying my pistol with this all day and to my parents' house. I am wearing that t-shirt, with a hoodie (size small) on top of it that. I asked my mom if, looking at me, she would think I was carrying a firearm, and she said no. I lifted my shirt and surprised her in both how large the pistol is, and how skinny its size and the wrap-around belt made me look, heh.

I already bought some supplies to make a removable strap for the mag carrier, so I'll see if I can't see what I can do with that after I get home tonight.
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

Lindenwood wrote:... asked my mom if, looking at me, she would think I was carrying a firearm, and she said no...
Dude....please, Mom's know what you're thinking and what you want them to say...
What amount of a man is composed of his own collection of experiences... and the conclusions that those experiences have allowed him to "know" for certain as "Truth"? :Ick
Gunsmith.JM
Silent But Deadly

Post by Gunsmith.JM »

Davo5o wrote:Here's a "real" world option.

http://www.uscav.com/Productinfo.aspx?p ... &TabID=548

Watch the video at the bottom, and see all the options.

Notice the pistol pack can be removed and worn on your belt, and armor panels can be inserted for extra protection.
Perfect for your purposes!

Personally I'd combine that that retention holster I mentioned before and one extra magazine on the weak side with a good multi use fast drawing knife. GTG
Lindenwood
Silent But Deadly

Post by Lindenwood »

continuity wrote:
Lindenwood wrote:... asked my mom if, looking at me, she would think I was carrying a firearm, and she said no...
Dude....please, Mom's know what you're thinking and what you want them to say...
Haha. Perhaps. Though, I don't think that was the case :) .

I also asked my stepdad before showing him if it looked like I was carrying, and he did say it looked a bit like I had some unnatural pooching on my stomach, but he would not immediately guess it was a firearm and would more lean toward me having something in my front pocket (was wearing a hoodie).

But, I wore it around town today for errands and stuff, just to get a feel for it. Without the mag stuff and with slightly looser (but not baggy or conspicuously so), it is still surprisingly hidden, and is nice in that I wouldn't need to carry a separate bag to carry it.

Though, I still will probably get that bag listed above.
Dweezil
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dweezil »

Well guy. You've certainly made folks think and that can't be all bad.
Couple questions:
1. Sounds like your regular CC option is covered with a different gun in an IWB and that covers most of your "real world" issues. Did I read you right on that?
2. This second option you're exploring is for an increased level of threat with increased need for greater fire power with the inevitable tradeoff in concealability...right?
3. Scenarios requiring option #2 may require other survival gear/water/camping stuff/reloads...right?
4. Option #2 will likely be used camping/hiking...true?

If the above ASSumptions are correct, I see several options that may work for you.
1. Have you looked at the Fobus paddle holsters/double mag pouches? They make them for the Taurus 92. They offer good retention, a quicker draw than from an IWB are are quite comfortable. They are also fairly easy to put on/remove which is why a lot of detectives use them. As I recall they are also "legal" for IDPA matches. Downside: in the scenarios you've mentioned, if you choose to escalate to this level, you'll need other stuff too, like knife, water, fire source, snacks etc. which will have to be carried somehow, Soooo....
2. Off body carry...sort of. Sacrifices accessibility for better concealment. Basically, a "get home bag." Your basic "man purse." Mine is nothing more than a Costco brand Camel-Bak in a NON tactical color and is capable of carrying a decent size pistol in a kydex IWB holster, reloads, knife, flashlight, fire, granola bars, and, of course, water. I never get a second glance. Fits right in with the college students, cyclists, casual hikers. Alternatively, you could carry your normal CC gun IWB and the reloads/gear in the pack.
3. Fanny pack, not the black"tacticool" kind, carried in front, which is way too obvious. You obviously have basic sewing skills so modifying a sports type fanny pack should be easy. This is more for if/when you actually bicycle/backpack and need something to to "fit" with those activities. When backpacking, I carried a small, bright blue, fanny pack in front with a small gun and minimal survival gear when I had a large pack on my back. Not cool, not tactical, certainly not obvious but readily available if needed.

I like your creativity. You're starting to think outside the box. Just let your choice of activity dictate you carry option and actual gear needs. One size does NOT fit all. I'll bet a workable, if not perfect, solution is staring you right in the face and you just haven't noticed it yet.
"I'm from the government...I'm here to help."
Lindenwood
Silent But Deadly

Post by Lindenwood »

Thanks for the reply :)

On your questions:

1) My regular CC setup is also my PT92, but yes in an IWB holster. It will conceal with anything more than a size-small T-shirt.
2) This option is really for more increased activity. With the magazine carrier and stuff, it is obviously better suited to more "tactical" situations (largely including competition and training), but really the main reason I wanted this holster was to be able to carry when in more active scenarios to have more comfort and security. And by active I just mean anything from hiking to running through the city to get to my BOL.
3) Yes! My emergency and shooting gear is all the same as my camping gear, which is why I wanted the above features (security and comfort) in a reasonably concealable package.
4) Yes.

No I haven't actually tried any CC holster accept my Uncle Mike's IWB, but I am wondering if I couldn't find a better option for more comfort.

Do you mean this holster? It is meant to sit OWB, right?
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/49974-33.html

I have definitely considered one of those man-purses. I actually had one I made out of a large waist pack, but my dog chewed it up, heh. I even sewed a pocket into it specifically for my pistol. But, the main reason I haven't bought another replacement is I just don't know how often I would actually use it. I have adjusted my EDC enough that everything I had previously put into the murse is now in my pockets (fire, light, knives, pepper spray, plus the regular stuff). And, since most of the time I would just CC on my person anyways, I don't know if it would be necessary for me.

Thanks again!

BTW, I still haven't gotten around to making a QD system for the mag carrier. I bought the strap and buckles to do it, but I already put the sewing machine up and it's a pain to carry it back to my desk from our bedroom :P .
silentobsession
Elite Member

Post by silentobsession »

ThePatriot wrote:When I want to get tactical I start out naked and put on my vietnam jungle boots (after I scrape out the waffle with a stick from stomping queers!), tape my gigantic cock to my leg (no snags), dual wield glocks with 33 round mags and rock-n-roll free as a bird. Also my ultra-whiteness works as a reflector blinding all enemies with an equivalent of 1,000,000 lumens. White power!
I was LOLing so hard after I got to the word "boots," that I had to stop for about two minutes. VERY FUNNY.
stevejobs
Silent But Deadly

Post by stevejobs »

I think I found your Rifle!

Just kiddin brother. Rock on.
Lindenwood
Silent But Deadly

Post by Lindenwood »

Hahaha. Dude that is sick.