Which Boots? Blackhawk?

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

ThePatriot
Silent But Deadly

Which Boots? Blackhawk?

Post by ThePatriot »

I have been looking to get some nice heavy duty boots for hunting, weekend logging, rugged manliness, etc. I like the Blackhawk warrior wear boots and have heard good things about them. Being waterproof is nice. Anyone have experience with Blackhawk boots or others I should check out?
"With a girl, there's a lot left in the girl's body without a head. Of course, the personality is gone."

-Edmund Kemper
st33ve0
Silent But Deadly

Post by st33ve0 »

Check out Danner.

http://www.danner.com/
Selectedmarksman
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by Selectedmarksman »

The most comfortable footwear I have ever owned were Timberland TiTans (titanium toe protection). They kept my feet warm in the winter, cool in the summer, lots of ankle support, and the roomy toe felt like your foot was in a cathedral.

I used to work at an ice cream shop (gotta start somewhere) and we had to move a freezer. Well, the other guy decided to let it go without telling me and I had a freezer dropped on my foot. No problem, didn't feel a thing. It didn't even dent the toe.
I've got Honey Badger Fever.
*Add this to your sig if you've got the fever, too!
nwcid
Silent But Deadly

Post by nwcid »

For real boots you need to look at White, Buffalo, Wesco and while I am not a Danner fan they are popular.

I personally wear Wesco due to my foot shape, Whites have too high of an arch.
Baboon
Silent But Deadly

Post by Baboon »

Russell Moccasin P.H.II's. The are great stalking boots.
http://www.russellmoccasin.com/
Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war;
That this foul deed shall smell above the earth
With carrion men, groaning for burial.
Reed503
Silent Operator

Post by Reed503 »

+1 on the Danner. Best boots I have.
ThePatriot
Silent But Deadly

Post by ThePatriot »

Baboon wrote:Russell Moccasin P.H.II's. The are great stalking boots.
Not digging the look or price. Thanks though
"With a girl, there's a lot left in the girl's body without a head. Of course, the personality is gone."

-Edmund Kemper
ThePatriot
Silent But Deadly

Post by ThePatriot »

I should have said my budget is $200. How are the Danners comfort wise?

-Edmund Kemper
Reed503
Silent Operator

Post by Reed503 »

ThePatriot wrote:I should have said my budget is $200. How are the Danners comfort wise?
They take a few days to break in but after that they feel real good. I think they are a little heavier then most but what you give up in weight you gain in durability. Im working on my third year with them and they still look and feel great.
Selectedmarksman
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Timberland Titan 6" for ~$130

I don't know what a 'real' boot is supposed to be, but check out the feature list. Find a shoe store near you and try them on. Light, roomy, and rugged as hell.

[edited as my first link was to the composite toe option, I like the titanium toe for better protection]
nwcid
Silent But Deadly

Post by nwcid »

There was no jab with the "real" boot comment.

But there are lots of cheep boots on the market. There are also lots of good hiking or duty type boots. I wear the 5.11 ACTC ( http://www.lapolicegear.com/58atshbofrsh.html ) boots on duty all the time. The are great boots for that application. They are comfortable, easy to get on and off, water proof, ect.

Based on the OP's requirement the ACTC style boots would not hold up well to that. On the other hand go out to where people who really live in their boots and on their feet, loggers and wildland firefighters come to mind quickly wear good durable leather boots like the ones I listed.

Yes the ones I listed are expensive but not only will they do what is required but they will last the occasional user like the OP for decades if kept cleaned and oiled as needed.
Selectedmarksman
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Didn't mean to misinterpret your comment. Honestly, I'm not a big boot guy so I probably don't know what is important in a 'real' boot.

I just know that I freaking love those timberlands, and never expected to. I went to a preppy school and am a keyboard jockey so I used to wear Rockports all the time. Extremely comfortable shoes. I never expected to find a work boot that was more comfortable than a pair of Rockports. I personally think the Timberland Titans are Fugly (huge toe). They were the first boots I tried on when I was boot shopping, they felt awesome. I tried on just about every other boot in the store wanting to find something that felt almost as nice but looked better. I left the store with the Timberlands.
Teufelhunden
Silent But Deadly

Post by Teufelhunden »

I bought the blackhawk warrior boots from LA police gear they beat everyone in price by $50. Good boot so far. As for Danners, great quality boot, but I dont know anyone who had a pair that did not destroy their feet breaking them in.
J Krammes
Silent But Deadly

Post by J Krammes »

I have been wearing these for years. Cabelas Outfitters Series http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... jsp.form23

I am on my secone pair. I mostly wear them hunting now, but when I was in construction, I wore them evey day in the winter. They feel broken in from day one. Both my dad and I have been wearing these for many years. I am actually thinking of getting a backup pair for SHTF!

Jeremy
Some of my work. www.jkknives.com
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

Have had great experience with Danner. They must have stumbled on my exact foot type for a model. These are the only boots that didn't feel like I went through a break in period. Put em on and wore em.
What amount of a man is composed of his own collection of experiences... and the conclusions that those experiences have allowed him to "know" for certain as "Truth"? :Ick
Baboon
Silent But Deadly

Post by Baboon »

ThePatriot wrote:
Baboon wrote:Russell Moccasin P.H.II's. The are great stalking boots.
Not digging the look or price. Thanks though
Yeah custom fitted double vamp American made boots aint cheap.
Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war;
That this foul deed shall smell above the earth
With carrion men, groaning for burial.
CDAT
Silent But Deadly

Post by CDAT »

At work I have black Converse Tactical Boots and for the guard I bought a pair of them in tan, I have been using them for almost five years at work and love them, thought that they were so good that I got the ones for the army. I do not know if they are water proof but would have to guess not, only times that I have been around water with them was not much or over the top of the boots. They have been lasting me about 3-4 years before I need to replace them and run around $100-$120, you can get them with or without safety toe. Just my $.02 for what it is worth.
Jo Mama
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Jo Mama »

I wear Danner Pronghorns. I like them but I know a couple guys said theirs leaked. Mine don't.
AWC Amphibian II
AAC M4-2000
SWR Trident
SWR Spectre
Raptor0683

Post by Raptor0683 »

I have these and I LOVE them...they're the most comfortable boots I've ever owned...might take a look if nothing else...

http://www.corcoranandmatterhorn.com/It ... egoryID=33

http://www.corcoranandmatterhorn.com
hesh
Senior Silent Operator

Post by hesh »

Redwings. Model 877's. One Pair lasts approximately 18 months when working as a connector ironworker on high rise structural jobs.

I know because I still own all 8 pairs I have ever purchased. Did I mention that they are resoleable ? That means fresh soles when you wear 'em out, with an oil tanned upper that fits "like a glove", oh and i customize mine with a hand welted double stiched toe cap for welding slag/collumn climbing abrasion.

probably my most comfortable pair of shoes hands down. I should post a pic of them.

hesh.
I am an Organizer.
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

hesh wrote: Redwings. Model 877's. One Pair lasts approximately 18 months when working as a connector ironworker on high rise structural jobs.

I know because I still own all 8 pairs I have ever purchased. Did I mention that they are resoleable ?....
I won't ask why you bought 7 more pairs, unless it's a personal attachment thing.

You resole them? Is it because you wear them out doing that crazy cool nutcase slide down the column on your feet thing? Was on a job site once when one of you wild guys did that and landed 3 feet away from me. Thought aliens were droping out of the sky. Had to check to make sure no uniform maintenance on my part was needed.

(threadjack apologies .)
What amount of a man is composed of his own collection of experiences... and the conclusions that those experiences have allowed him to "know" for certain as "Truth"? :Ick
hesh
Senior Silent Operator

Post by hesh »

8 pairs total for multiple reasons. In the summer you do not want to wear the same boots two days in a row, they need time to breathe. so I alternate two pairs. the other reason is because 6 pairs of them are worn out on the uppers (which still can be rebuilt, but not worth it) I've been doing this 12 years. Yes from sliding down and climbing up collumns. I keep them around because I paid 170-220 dollars for them, and they have some value to me as mementos, now I am not a hoarder or anything, they have a place and it is out in my metal building along with all my tools, cars, motorcycles, etc... I tie the laces together and hang them from the west rafter... when I retire I should have about 25-30 pairs up there.

hesh.

thread hijack complete. you may now return to the previously scheduled thread theme.
I am an Organizer.
BWT
Silent But Deadly

Post by BWT »

I'd get something light weight, and avoid steel toe (I know the rocks are about to be throw), but from working in steel toe boots, I've found that the front of your feet aren't able to move and awkwardly it makes the front of your feet hurt as they are immobilized, (I.E. no toe movement), and also you need to wear thicker socks as they can be hell on your feet.

I'd look at your legitimate needs, water proofing is important, but I've worn traditional military boots, and they will kill your feet.

I also have a limited sample size and I can't remember the brand, it was a good quality though.

I'd look at some good well padded running shoes. They're not manly, but they're functional.

Boots can also wear blisters in awkward places on your feet, they also keep your feet hot and hesh is right, you do need to let them air out at night, thick padding and water proofing, keeps them well insulated and usually makes them sweat more.

Also, the heavier will fatigue you if you're going long distance, which hiking sounds like.

That's my experience. Don't get steel toe if you don't need it, especially when hiking as it will limit your foot movement, and you might wear possibly blisters on the top of your toes also the restricted movement is irritating and in some cases painful (I know my toes hurt in a way that I can't really describe) bigger and heavier aren't better as you will fatigue faster.

Get ones that breathe if you can so your feet stay dry/cool, but, if you need water proofing, you might not consider that a worthwhile consideration.

Just my opinion.
studly do-right
Senior Silent Operator

Post by studly do-right »

I had a pair of those Blackhawk Warrior Wear Desert Ops. Very comfortable and don't need to be broken in, but they didn't hold up well. The material on the toe started to crack and split and within a few months they had holes in the sides. I would not recommend them for anything but weekend warrior ops.
Do not expose to excessive heat, vacuum, blunt trauma, immersion in liquids, disintegration, reintegration, hypersleep, humiliation, sorrow, or harsh language?
stevesm
Silent Operator

Post by stevesm »

[quote="hesh"]Redwings. Model 877's. One Pair lasts approximately 18 months when working as a connector ironworker on high rise structural jobs.

Defenitely Redwings. 15 years and no bitching. I cant give an estimate as to how long they last. I've worn them in too many different applications.But, thats my vote :D