More chickens

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

bakerjw
Elite Member

More chickens

Post by bakerjw »

Well I happened to come across a local guy with more chicks for sale and ended up with the brooder full of 10 more little peeping fuzz balls. Five are silver sebrights and 5 are white leghorns. Going to be time to build another coop and chicken run.
July 5th, 2016. The day that we moved from a soft tyranny to a hard tyranny.
smcharchan
Silent But Deadly

Post by smcharchan »

Cool.

How about some pictures of your coop/run/etc...
bakerjw
Elite Member

Post by bakerjw »

I'll get some posted this evening. I did get the tractor finished for the girls (our 8 TSC pullets) and they are loving it. Since their sole purpose in life is to be egg layers they're going to be a bit more protected and confined. I am not sure if I can do that with the Sebrights though. They are supposed to be some of the most capable flyers in the chicken world.
bakerjw
Elite Member

Post by bakerjw »

The chicken tractor.

the chicken tractor

Chicks looking out the door

The new Silver Sebrights. They are amazingly active for 2 week old chicks

The White Leghorn chicks.
pneumagger
Silent But Deadly

Post by pneumagger »

You know how body building and weight lifting gyms have oversize murals of Arnold Schwarzenegger and Lou Ferrigno painted on the walls?
You need to put some large pictures of rotisserie chicken, turducken, and deviled eggs up on the inside walls of the coop.
(Playing "Eye of the Tiger" quietly on loop 24/7 wouldn't be a bad idea either)
I reject your truths and substitute my own realities
Selectedmarksman
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by Selectedmarksman »

Here's a poster for your coup:

I've got Honey Badger Fever.
*Add this to your sig if you've got the fever, too!
Diomed
Silent But Deadly

Post by Diomed »

pneumagger wrote:You know how body building and weight lifting gyms have oversize murals of Arnold Schwarzenegger and Lou Ferrigno painted on the walls?
You need to put some large pictures of rotisserie chicken, turducken, and deviled eggs up on the inside walls of the coop.
(Playing "Eye of the Tiger" quietly on loop 24/7 wouldn't be a bad idea either)
That's so perverse.

I love it.
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

bakerjw wrote:...Image
the chicken tractor...
Dude....CLEAN OUT YOUR GARAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What amount of a man is composed of his own collection of experiences... and the conclusions that those experiences have allowed him to "know" for certain as "Truth"? :Ick
smcharchan
Silent But Deadly

Post by smcharchan »

That is not a garage. It is a storage shed for supplies and barter items that will prove to be invaluable WHEN THE s--t HITS THE FAN!

(Yelling makes it sound scarier.)

Besides, everyone has/needs a junk room. They're like farts - no one wants to admit they have 'em, but we all defend it as normal when the secret slips out.
bakerjw
Elite Member

Post by bakerjw »

Wow you can tell the condition of my garage by a picture showing one corner? Let's see. In the picture there is
An insulated box for a cat that we keep in there.
Sitting on top of it is a yellow Shop Vac
Then there is my red machine tool box containing all of my mill and lathe tooling, indicators, etc...
You can also see my road bike hanging from the rafters
Then there is the the board with 1" dowels for holding air hoses and power cords.
My oxy acetylene tanks are in there too.
Then near the top is a shelf with camp stove, kerosene, and a couple of other items.

If you continue down that wall there is a Hendey 12"x36" lathe. It weighs in at 2000#.
Then my Induma mill.
The back wall has an embedded shelf for storage.
Then turning the corner there is a large cabinet of drawers which are well organized.
Then a work bench with drawer storage containing sorted nuts, bolts, washers, etc... My 12 ton press and another tool box sits on top of it.
Then my stand up compressor.
Then another workbench with cabinet storage overhead.
finally my welder and garbage can.

Normally my Jaguar (the car under the white cover) sits in the middle.

But my garage is anything but a catch all mess and is organized better than most shops that I've been through. It does not need cleaning.
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

bakerjw wrote:Wow you can tell the condition of my garage by a picture showing one corner? ...
Actually, once I think about it, You and smcharchan are being charitable. A fairer answer is "It's Nonya". Even more like "Nonyadamnbidness."

My appologies. BTY, I always thought XKE's were too cool.

Peace.
What amount of a man is composed of his own collection of experiences... and the conclusions that those experiences have allowed him to "know" for certain as "Truth"? :Ick
bakerjw
Elite Member

Post by bakerjw »

No biggie. I was just in a testy mood last night.

It does look cluttered but is actually very orderly. The upstairs is a bit of a mess though. I have a bunch of old wood flooring piled up to get cleaned up and planed for the second level of the house. Well that and a brooder full of more chickens.

I definitely don't have the problem of too much time on my hands.
MD3C
Silent Operator

Re: More chickens

Post by MD3C »

Neat pix, and project.
I live in the desert. That grass looks sooooo good.
Good luck.
M
USE OF DEADLY FORCE AUTHORIZED
bakerjw
Elite Member

Post by bakerjw »

Thanks.
The grass doesn't look so good after the girls have had their way with it. They graze about like cattle.

The next strategy is to put in a dedicated 25' x 25' divided run up on the hillside and move the White Leghorns to one side and the pullets to the other. The Silver Sebrights will then get use of the tractor. Since they are bantams they'll be less harsh on the grass.
David Hineline
Silent But Deadly

Post by David Hineline »

So why is chicken eggs the thing, why not duck, goose, or larger variations of eggs. Turkey eggs should be large.
NFA shooters blow their load with only one pull of the trigger.
pneumagger
Silent But Deadly

Post by pneumagger »

David Hineline wrote:So why is chicken eggs the thing, why not duck, goose, or larger variations of eggs. Turkey eggs should be large.
#1) Ducks and Geese can fly. In fact, they fly so well they can migrate! Although some chicken breeds can sustain limited flight, most breeds do not fly.

B) Larger birds like turkeys or even ostriches take quite some to mature and begin laying. They also lay few eggs and/or less frequently. Chickens lay more eggs more quickly - egg shitting machines. Larger birds also require more feed so you end up getting fewer eggs costing more feed.

hotdog) Chickens have been selectively bred to brood very little or not at all. When a chicken lays eggs it quickly loses interest in the eggs and goes and doesn't care anymore. Other birds will brood thier eggs, nest and young.

five) You can dye chickens all sorts of interesting colors and host your own Poultry Pride Parade. Just be sure to sex the chickens first so you can place them on the appropriate parade float.
I reject your truths and substitute my own realities
bakerjw
Elite Member

Post by bakerjw »

We had 3 Pekin ducks show up on our compound several years ago. They were neat to have around but never laid any eggs. Next on my agenda may be come peacocks and peahens. Supposedly they are real good watch birds which we need with the proliferation of predators in our area.