What u put in the ultimate bug out bag???

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

orangeninja14

What u put in the ultimate bug out bag???

Post by orangeninja14 »

Ok people were talking regulation military duffle bag size. Not a truckload or one of those tactical man purses you see these days. Something you can grab and go with and that will sustain two normal adults for about 4 ( rationing of course ) weeks. Include weapons ammo and whatever else you would find super important to sustain ones life and safety in the wilderness in your area.
hatidua

Re: What u put in the ultimate bug out bag???

Post by hatidua »

Water filtration device that you actually know how to use, not merely one that comes with a user manual.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

go where ?

how far ?

para cord ... all the basics for snaring, fishing, hunting ...

4 weeks of prepared food seems like a lot to haul around unless you're not going far, pack some dried beans and rice, maybe some jerky and dried fruit if you want some treats, forget the jerky and fruit if you're in bear country, learn to like rat and snake

even if you pack conservatively and shoot for 100+ calorie per ounce foodstuff you'd probably be looking at 7-10 lbs per person per week in just food unless you plan for reaping some of your calories from the land
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

I hate eating bugs.....
What amount of a man is composed of his own collection of experiences... and the conclusions that those experiences have allowed him to "know" for certain as "Truth"? :Ick
Ben B.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ben B. »

All that food doesnt leave much space for my air mattress and espresso machine.
The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground.
Thomas Jefferson

USPSA FY60903...B-class SS, B-class L10, B-class Prod.
IDPA A30195...Expert CDP, Master SSP
ick
Silent But Deadly

Post by ick »

Most overlooked yet useful survival item?

Is it edible? Probably too much rubber-based adhesive....
-----
Ick
ctdonath
Silent But Deadly

Post by ctdonath »

orangeninja14 wrote:Something you can grab and go with and that will sustain two normal adults for about 4 ( rationing of course ) weeks.
Standard bug out bag supports one person for 3 days. By then you should have transitioned to another option based on circumstance.

One bag for 2 people for 4 weeks is a lot of stuff in one bag. You're looking at 5 cases of MREs. That ain't gonna fit in one duffel bag.
ctdonath
Silent But Deadly

Post by ctdonath »

Look up "10 essentials" and ultralight & long-term backpacking.
mx201er
Silent But Deadly

Post by mx201er »

ctdonath wrote:
orangeninja14 wrote:Something you can grab and go with and that will sustain two normal adults for about 4 ( rationing of course ) weeks.
Standard bug out bag supports one person for 3 days. By then you should have transitioned to another option based on circumstance.

One bag for 2 people for 4 weeks is a lot of stuff in one bag. You're looking at 5 cases of MREs. That ain't gonna fit in one duffel bag.
that is very true, but MREs are loaded with calories. The charts say I should eat about ~2500 calories a day, but I usually eat about 1800/day. I can survive on less than that and MREs have about 2000 calories; so I could use less than one MRE per day.
So if I had a case in my bag, I could survive over two weeks if worst came to worst
"If you are mad as hell and aren't going to take it anymore, grab your rifle and head outside.
If you're the only dumbass with a rifle screaming like a maniac, go back inside. It isn't time yet."
ick
Silent But Deadly

Post by ick »

mx201er wrote:that is very true, but MREs are loaded with calories. The charts say I should eat about ~2500 calories a day, but I usually eat about 1800/day. I can survive on less than that and MREs have about 2000 calories; so I could use less than one MRE per day.
So if I had a case in my bag, I could survive over two weeks if worst came to worst

Well true to a point. You probably don't walk 30 miles a day to find water, stay up all night to defend your home from looters, work all day in the field planting so you don't starve through the coming winter, carry an injured person 3 miles for medical assistance, sit trapped on your roof in the sun for 52 hours straight.... etc. It depends how "bad" things get given a katrina, zombie attack, collapse, etc.
-----
Ick
ctdonath
Silent But Deadly

Post by ctdonath »

mx201er wrote: MREs have about 2000 calories; so I could use less than one MRE per day. So if I had a case in my bag, I could survive over two weeks if worst came to worst
And I went two weeks without eating at all once, so I suggest you not bother with food.
Unless you actually want to do something other than lie down.
Your caloric needs are based on your activity, which one may presume will be far higher during an emergency survival situation, as opposed to sitting in a chair typing at chat boards all evening.

BTW: do you realize what a case of MREs weighs? How big is your "bag"? You're gonna need those 2000 calories just lugging the box around all day.
mx201er
Silent But Deadly

Post by mx201er »

ctdonath wrote:
mx201er wrote: MREs have about 2000 calories; so I could use less than one MRE per day. So if I had a case in my bag, I could survive over two weeks if worst came to worst
And I went two weeks without eating at all once, so I suggest you not bother with food.
Unless you actually want to do something other than lie down.
Your caloric needs are based on your activity, which one may presume will be far higher during an emergency survival situation, as opposed to sitting in a chair typing at chat boards all evening.

BTW: do you realize what a case of MREs weighs? How big is your "bag"? You're gonna need those 2000 calories just lugging the box around all day.
ouch :oops: lol harsh. I realize that, just sayin.. and I am a very active person, thank you very much. This weekend I am going on a ~20 mile, 3 day backpacking trip.
This is my only forum and I check maybe once a day.
I don't plan on carrying that much, or eating that little but if worst came to worst I could live.. When I backpack camp I travel light; I bring more than I need for emergencies if I get stuck somewhere, but usually only eat one MRE and a can of chili a day.
I am also a firefighter, wildland and structure, and spent a couple weeks this summer working a fire on a 30% slope with heavy timber and no trails. My crew of three humped 6000' of hose up that mountain, and when I brought my gps we walked 29.5 miles up and down that 30% grade in four days. The average between the pack and the hose we were carrying was 60+ lbs, which is quite a lot since I only weigh 145. Yeah I had to eat more!
But if I was in a situation where I knew I had little food and a long wait, I wouldn't be carrying my supplies straight up a mountain like a dumbass, I would find somewhere to bunker down and sit it out so I would not be burning so many calories for no reason at all.
Again, I am not saying I would carry a case around with me. But if I had a case I would find somewhere relatively safe, dig in, and conserve food. When It got low enough I could carry it all easily, its time to put some extra calories in your system and start looking for more food
"If you are mad as hell and aren't going to take it anymore, grab your rifle and head outside.
If you're the only dumbass with a rifle screaming like a maniac, go back inside. It isn't time yet."
VanKamp
Silent But Deadly

Post by VanKamp »

I've been looking at the Food Insurance packs as an option, anybody have an opinion on these? If so, why? Is there a better product out there that is as efficient? I'd like one without what appears to be a sub-standard jetboil as I have a couple already. 2 weeks in a pack seems pretty good. I'd likely buy one or two and store them in the "Bugout corner" in the laundry room by the back door.

As I'm currently stationed in hurricane country, this is a plausible scenario, though I would likely make it to my destination without much need for that much food. Gas on the other hand...

http://www.foodinsurance.com/food_insur ... odkits.php
Arkady
Silent But Deadly

Post by Arkady »

Dude... that's not a Jet Boil, it's a Hexamine a stove.

Grab some coke cans and a bottle of rubbing alcohol and you'll probably be cooking faster.
VanKamp
Silent But Deadly

Post by VanKamp »

Nice, learned something new... I definitely don't want one of those. Regardless, Jetboil FTW!
PeakMPD

Post by PeakMPD »

Have you considered caching some supplies at various locations? Fairly inexpensive to do, and could save you a bunch of weight in your bag.
pneumagger
Silent But Deadly

Post by pneumagger »

Chuck Norris.
Chuck Norris is all you need in the ultimate Bug Out Bag.
I reject your truths and substitute my own realities
shootstr8

Post by shootstr8 »

Orangeninja14,

First, I would suggest that you skip the duffle bag and use a backpack instead. They are much more flexible than trying to carry a duffle bag. I have the 5.11 Tactical Rush 72 backpack, and the wife has a BDS Tactical 378. I would recommend either. There are lots of other good choices here: http://thetacticalgearstore.com/bugoutbags.html

Survivalblog.com has some great articles about Bug Out Bags that you might find useful.
http://www.survivalblog.com/g-o-o-d/

As was already mentioned, you are probably not going to be able to carry 4 weeks worth of food (and water) without some sort of vehicle. 3-7 days is probably more realistic. My wife and I have a 2 days worth of MRE's and 4 days of freeze dried food in each of our BOB's. I also have two addtional bags full of more food that we can throw in the truck if needed. They are too big to carry very far, but contain enough additional supplies to last for up to 2 weeks.

I suggest you test your BOB by going on a weekend backpacking trip. Live entirely out of your backpack for 3 days, and you will get a real good feel for what you need and what is just too heavy to worry about.