Top 14 Survival Downloads You Should Have

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

zeezee
Silent But Deadly

Top 14 Survival Downloads You Should Have

Post by zeezee »

Great stufffffff! And it's all FREE!!!!!

http://www.thesurvivalistblog.net/uncat ... downloads/
"The said constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." Samuel Adams
silencertalk
Site Admin

Re: Top 14 Survival Downloads You Should Have

Post by silencertalk »

And Finally, the Yuppie Survival Arsenal
1. L1A1 Rifle chambered in .308 Winchester
2. Remington Model 7 bolt action chambered in .223
3. Winchester Model 70 in 308 Win.
4. Remington 870 express with spare riot gun barrel
5. Colt 1911 A1 .45 ACP
6. Taurus CIA Model 850 .38 SPL. Revolver
7. Savage Model 24F .223 Remington over 12 gauge (if you can find one used)
8. Ruger 10/22
Hmm. That does not make any sense to me. Why would you want a 38 revolver if you had a Glock? If you did want a small 38, why would you get a Taurus when a Yuppie can afford a S&W? Why would you want a 1911 if you had a 9mm - we are talking survival here, not nostalgic handgun collecting? Why would you want an FAL in 308 and no AR15? Why get the Express 870 when you can have an 870P?

I will change this to:

1. Compact bolt action 308 rifle, such as AAC-SD, Steyr or Ruger GunSite Scout.
2. AR15 with 16 inch or shorter barrel.
3. Remington 870P
4. Glock 17 or 19.
5. 22lr rifle. Lots of choices.
st33ve0
Silent But Deadly

Post by st33ve0 »

silencertalk wrote:
5. Colt 1911 A1 .45 ACP
8. Ruger 10/22
Hmm. That does not make any sense to me. Why would you want a 38 revolver if you had a Glock? If you did want a small 38, why would you get a Taurus when a Yuppie can afford a S&W? Why would you want a 1911 if you had a 9mm - we are talking survival here, not nostalgic handgun collecting? Why would you want an FAL in 308 and no AR15? Why get the Express 870 when you can have an 870P?

I will change this to:

3. Remington 870P
4. Glock 17 or 19.
I have to concur with your list Robert, it's pretty much what I've been thinking of as a bare minimum.
zeezee
Silent But Deadly

Post by zeezee »

st33ve0 wrote:
silencertalk wrote:
5. Colt 1911 A1 .45 ACP
8. Ruger 10/22

I will change this to:

3. Remington 870P
4. Glock 17 or 19.
I have to concur with your list Robert, it's pretty much what I've been thinking of as a bare minimum.
I agree with everything BUT the taurus. S&W, Colt, Ruger, Hell Yes. Taurus? Only if I got it for free. :roll:
"The said constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." Samuel Adams
Selectedmarksman
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by Selectedmarksman »

Like many I prefer Mr. Silvers' list over the one from the link. However, I'm not a shotgun guy, so I have to ask: Why add a shotgun anyway? For survival, what role does a shotgun fill that the AR-15 or .308 rifle won't fill, unless you're big on wild fowl for dinner?
I've got Honey Badger Fever.
*Add this to your sig if you've got the fever, too!
tmix
Silent But Deadly

Post by tmix »

Selectedmarksman wrote:Like many I prefer Mr. Silvers' list over the one from the link. However, I'm not a shotgun guy, so I have to ask: Why add a shotgun anyway? For survival, what role does a shotgun fill that the AR-15 or .308 rifle won't fill, unless you're big on wild fowl for dinner?
For hunting Birds, squirrels, rabbits, deer, varmints, and it makes a pretty good defensive weapon in a pinch. My grandfather hunted most of his life with a 12g SxS and a Browning A5. He didn't buy a rifle until 1969 when my Dad brought home a .243. The likelihood of you coming across 12g ammo while scavenging is pretty good. I think it's a good idea to have one in the inventory if you can.
[size=150]Machine gun snob by proxy. [/size]
[img]http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x190/tmixon762/Colt_Automatic_Rifle_01.jpg[/img]
CDAT
Silent But Deadly

Post by CDAT »

I would go with a Mossberg 590 over the 870. But out here on the north west cost I do not think that you would be scavenging 12g ammo as easy as you think. Most of the police around me do not use them much or at all any more having go to patrol rifles. Not saying that it does not happen but I do not know of anyone who hunts anything but waterfowl with one. It is also the gun that most guys I know if they have one it is just because so they do not keep much ammo for it. As far as being able to go scavenging ammo from what I see for rifle would be .223, .308 and .30-06 in that order and for pistol .40 S&W, .45 ACP and than 9mm again in that order. .40 and .223 being the LE standard (for the most part) around here, some still use the .45 and .308 looks to be the main hunting round, .30-06 is not that far behind. Bout the only group that I can think of that use 9mm is the MP/SP/SF from the military except the Coast Guard who has gone to .40.
Hellrazor
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hellrazor »

Scavenging ammo... then a 22lr is a must. He'll, EVERYONE has 22lr ammo sitting around.
bakerjw
Elite Member

Post by bakerjw »

silencertalk wrote:Why would you want an FAL in 308 and no AR15?
If I could only have one rifle other than a .22LR without any hesitation I'd take my FAL over any of my ARs. It is heavier and the ammo is heavier and not quite as readily available. But. I know that I can drag it through a swamp pack it with mud and sand and as long as the barrel isn't filled up it will cycle every single time that I need it to fire. My second choice would be one of my SKSs.

Not that ARs aren't dependable and can't be made to be dependable I'm just looking at the absolute worst case situation and they tend to need regular TLC to be reliable.
July 5th, 2016. The day that we moved from a soft tyranny to a hard tyranny.
curbside
Silent But Deadly

Post by curbside »

tmix wrote:
Selectedmarksman wrote:Like many I prefer Mr. Silvers' list over the one from the link. However, I'm not a shotgun guy, so I have to ask: Why add a shotgun anyway? For survival, what role does a shotgun fill that the AR-15 or .308 rifle won't fill, unless you're big on wild fowl for dinner?
For hunting Birds, squirrels, rabbits, deer, varmints, and it makes a pretty good defensive weapon in a pinch. My grandfather hunted most of his life with a 12g SxS and a Browning A5. He didn't buy a rifle until 1969 when my Dad brought home a .243. The likelihood of you coming across 12g ammo while scavenging is pretty good. I think it's a good idea to have one in the inventory if you can.

I must say I love my ruger 243, not an elephant gun, but accurate and will easily stop large game. (especially with proper shot placement) My father used to hunt with 30.06, he borrowed my 243, got a good kill, and loved it so much he went and bought a 270. ( I was 15 at the time 243 perfect youth rifle.)

Back to topic, I think all one needs is "deer rifle", :D shotgun, carbine, and pistol. Ofcourse 22 bolt for the carbine if its an AR. All round covered.
jlwilliams
Silent But Deadly

Post by jlwilliams »

I've never been a real shotgun guy myself. That's why I'd like to take a shotgun class this year. Maybe I'm missing something.
driver6814
Silent But Deadly

Post by driver6814 »

The big thing about a shotgun, is that at night with 00 buck you can hit something you can't see. Anyone that has tried to shoot something at night would find a shotgun to be very valuable. Sometimes just racking a shotgun, puts the fear of god into an aggressor. If you don't have a Full Auto, it is the next best thing up close. Sending 5, 7, or more rounds of 00's downrange put a lot of lead in the air.
Baffled
Silent But Deadly

Post by Baffled »

I view the shotgun primarily as a hunting weapon with a defensive (CQ) backup role. Putting meat in the pot - hard to beat a shotgun except if your area is extremely open, like parts of the West.
jlwilliams
Silent But Deadly

Post by jlwilliams »

I definitely see the versatility of the shotgun. It's a proven stock pot filler and you can make it work for small birds with minimal meat damage, or on fellons with maximum meat damage just by selecting a different shell. Hard to beat the versatility of changeing barrel length or chokes with little or no tools. My problem is I'm really not good with one and I've never really been a 'shotgun guy'. I've hunted whitetail with slugs, but that's more like a rifle than a shotgun. Even used rifle sights. Hitting a deer with a slug at 20 yards hardly makes me a 'profficient shotgunner' IMO. That's why I want to take a class. I figure if I was better I'd apreciate the shotty a bit more. There is a one day defensive shotgun class being held about an hour and a half from my house in July for reasonable money. I'm going to sign up for that. I also have a buddy with a sporting clay course on his property. If we can get some oportunities when we both have the time, that should get my shotgun enthusiasm up.

From what I've been told sporting and combative shotgunning are NOT the same. I'm OK with that. Putting in a little time and spending some rounds on both will either put my head into shotgunning or convince me that it's not for me. No point in not putting in some effort.

As far as hitting something you can't see in the dark, that sounds like a recipe for a shot you wish you could take back. You can't take back a gunshot.
driver6814
Silent But Deadly

Post by driver6814 »

In a survival situation anyone approaching your camp without announcing themselves are probably up to no good. You need to think out what you will do in differant situations and not hesitate. They sure won't. Especially if you have nice gear and guns. Survival of the fittest, and fastest.
Shamrock-MP
Silent But Deadly

Post by Shamrock-MP »

I have always thought of what I would do, what I would want with me etc. I like the idea of which weapon is the fun part but as in everything, situation will dictate what would be most practical. But if the list is necessary-

1. Ruger 10/22
2. Remington 870
3. Winchester 45/70 or 30/30
4. Remigton 700 .308
5. 1911-.45acp
6. AK in 7.62 x 39
7. AR in .223
8. Beretta 92, 9mm

I know this list looks generic, and it is. That is precisely why I chose these weapons. I would bet that everyone on this site has owned or most likely owns at least one of these firearms right now! As for scavenging, the likelihood of finding spare parts and rounds for these models and calibers is high Important in a long term scenario). If I chose the new FN whatever I would never find a spare part or ammo, the expensive weapon would be useless in a few short weeks.

My best case scenario would have my wife and children each maintaining their own firearms in various calibers for the ability to take advantage of a scavenging and to share the burden of carrying the weight. Beyond that, I would like to have some reloading equipment, including bullet casts, and a bow/arrows in reserve. I would favor the bow for hunting anything beyond varmint size. For small game I would use a suppressed 22lr to avoid drawing attention. Centerfire cartridges would be used as last resort for big game and protection.

“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.”
-Charles Darwin
Form4
Suppressors and Firearms
01 FFL / 03 SOT
(502)671-9799
www.form4.org
Crosshair
Silent But Deadly

Post by Crosshair »

driver6814 wrote:Sometimes just racking a shotgun, puts the fear of god into an aggressor.
and sometimes it gives away your position to that aggressor who now fills you full of lead.

Racking the shotgun to scare off the bad-guy has got to be one of the most goddamed stupid idea from a tactical point of view in the history of the world. You have either ejected a perfectly good shell or you were going after BG with an empty chamber.
The big thing about a shotgun, is that at night with 00 buck you can hit something you can't see. Anyone that has tried to shoot something at night would find a shotgun to be very valuable.
If you can't hit something you can't see, how is a shotgun going to help? A shotgun is not a magic wall of death. You still have to get rather close aim-wise in order for the spread to hit the target.
"I'm not afraid of dying. I's HOW I die that I'm concerned about." - Crosshair

"Beware the man with one gun. He probably doesn't know how to use it."
Shamrock-MP
Silent But Deadly

Post by Shamrock-MP »

Outdoor life had an article last month- "Bug-out Guns"

http://survival.outdoorlife.com/article ... g-out-guns
Form4
Suppressors and Firearms
01 FFL / 03 SOT
(502)671-9799
www.form4.org
LonghunterCO
Silent But Deadly

Post by LonghunterCO »

I don't have a big problems with the .38spl (a own an old M85 that is 100%, but would not recomend the current crop of Taurus), but more as a handout weapon to someone that is not as familar with firearms. I would feel better handing out a revolver than a semiauto. That said I agree with Robert that as a primary list for someone you would be better served with a compact semi-auto.
The 1911 is a good choice for someone that has spent the time with it, but those guys are not reviewing lists like this, and again Robert is right you would be better server with a 9mm auto.
Shotguns are ok to have on a list like this but I would place them at the end of this list of things to get. Only after everything else has been obtained.
FAL vs the AR. AR all the way. If someone (again a non-gun person) is in your group they will be more more able to pick up and run an AR better than a battle rifle.
Living in Colorado, on the scoped bolt action I would gun-up on the .308 choice. Too many larger animals out here that would benifit from a bigger round. Given the number of bear/elk hunters out here there is alot of 300WM/7mm/30-06 shooters and so access to these rounds are real good. If you are back east the .308 is fine.
Blackwind

Post by Blackwind »

Nice little write up. I like the Ruger Gunsite Scout and its on my list. Today I think I have the makings of good beginnings with several of these mentioned.