How to survive a bear attack article

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Is it best to use bear spray and play dead?

Yes - the article is correct.
No votes
No, a firearm is best. The article is PC BS.
100%

Total votes: 35

silencertalk
Site Admin

How to survive a bear attack article

Post by silencertalk »

http://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/animal ... ear-attack

Is it true firearms are not a good option for bear defense?
Gibal
Silent Operator

Re: How to survive a bear attack article

Post by Gibal »

It sounds like they like the Hillary approach.
"Studies have shown that breathing through the nose, as opposed to the mouth, may increase a person's IQ"
JohnnyC
Silent But Deadly

Post by JohnnyC »

Look at the website the article is from. They're not going to espouse firearms as a way to prevent bear attack, it's obvious from doing a little poking around that site. They would be more offended by the thought of you killing a bear in self defense than you becoming bear scat. Bottom line is, if a bear is going to attack you, hit it hard and fast with the highest volume of fire you can with the biggest bullet you can muster. Guys in Alaska carry, and it's often something like a 454, 375 H&H, .500 S&W or Linebaugh. A 12ga wouldn't be a bad choice either.
CDAT
Silent But Deadly

Post by CDAT »

I have been told that the best way to deal with a bear is fire your first shot at the ground or whatever but not the bear. This (the boom) gets them to rear up, then you empty your weapon in to there pelvic area to try and take it out. This will keep the bear from being able to get to you. but does not always kill it.
Gibal
Silent Operator

Post by Gibal »

So what I got from this Fish and Wildlife article, http://www.fws.gov/mountain-prairie/spe ... 0spray.pdf, was that I need to load OC/Buckshot loads :lol:
"Studies have shown that breathing through the nose, as opposed to the mouth, may increase a person's IQ"
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

ChuckHawks, who I often don't agree with, said that a 30-06 is the #1 most popular with guides, and 300 WM the second.

Know what? The bear is not really going to feel the difference between 30-06 bolt action and a 180 grain 308 from a SCAR-17S rife. Why not carry something light that fires faster?
Libertarian_Geek
Silent But Deadly

Post by Libertarian_Geek »

It seems like most of the "pepper spray vs bear" articles that I've read over the past month seem to make an assumption that the gun you're carrying is a bolt action, lever action or a single action revolver. They also seem to assume that you're not going to be practiced on using said gun. I'd take a bet that the writers of most of these articles wouldn't think twice about taking the 2nd amendment away, let alone hi-cap mags and modern semi-autos.

I'm not saying that I'd have ice-water in my veins while I aim a single shot for the bear's medulla oblongata. Instead, I'm just saying that the head of an attacking bear is a pretty large target in which to mag dump a semi-auto like a scared little girl. When the bear's eating me, I'd rather have chunks of its grey-matter exiting the back of its skull as opposed to risk having it think "mmmm spicy."

I wonder if I can get paid for writing just such an article for that site. One that's inline with the other articles

Bear appeasement
The non-violet approach to avoiding bear attacks.

Bear appeasement article wrote:"Bears often seem aggressive when in fact, they are simply aroused. The best way to defend yourself against such an aroused bear is to engage the bear in a series of sensual petting exercises with the goal of eventually mounting the bear..."
Yep...Just such an article might help speed-up the natural selection process. I wonder how I get my article posted.
https://www.facebook.com/DareDefendOurRights
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

Who knows, some of it might work once in a while and I might be willing to try one of those techniques right after I run out of bullets.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

What about the US Govt article that says pepper spray is 2x more effective than a gun?
Libertarian_Geek
Silent But Deadly

Post by Libertarian_Geek »

silencertalk wrote:What about the US Govt article that says pepper spray is 2x more effective than a gun?
The US Govt's main agenda is to increase the size of the US Govt. One way they do this is to increase the scope of the US Govt. The 2nd amendment and general right to an effective self-defense is in direct conflict with this agenda. Therefore, I wouldn't expect today's US Govt(either party) to publish an article that conflicts with their agenda. Truth and science are sacrificed for growth and building a structure of citizen dependency.

Come on US Government... don't be bitch.
https://www.facebook.com/DareDefendOurRights
700PSS
Elite Member

Post by 700PSS »

I'll defer to our Montana, Wyoming, Idaho and Alaska members on this one, but many a hunter has been mauled while unable to ready their firearm in time or make a stopping shot on a charging bear. They don't always necessarily stand at a distance and roar at you for a while, giving you time to be ready. If surprised at close distances, they will mow you down at 40 mph before you hardy realize what hit you.

Firearm or bear spray? I'd have both handy and hope that I'd have at least a chance.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

I saw something earlier on one of the propaganda channels about an olympian that survived a bear attack, haven't seen the details.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
Gibal
Silent Operator

Post by Gibal »

Libertarian_Geek wrote:
silencertalk wrote:What about the US Govt article that says pepper spray is 2x more effective than a gun?
The US Govt's main agenda is to increase the size of the US Govt. One way they do this is to increase the scope of the US Govt. The 2nd amendment and general right to an effective self-defense is in direct conflict with this agenda. Therefore, I wouldn't expect today's US Govt(either party) to publish an article that conflicts with their agenda. Truth and science are sacrificed for growth and building a structure of citizen dependency.

Come on US Government... don't be bitch.
The article is intentionally vague. They did say "about 50%" and "most the time". That could mean 45% guns failed and 51% of pepper spray worked...
LYNRDSKYNRD
Silent But Deadly

Post by LYNRDSKYNRD »

I vote both on pepper sray and gun based on the situation that PSS brought up. What about .458 SOCOM or .50 Boewulf for bears?
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because
rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
George Orwell
Hush
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hush »

I didn't read the article but I'll speak from experience, if its a griz I'll shoot till I'm empty and then beat it with my rifle if its still moving and I have a fighting chance.
Black bear can be scared off with shouting and swearing as long as any cubs are not with it.
So if there is a choice between bear spray and a firearm I'll take the firearm every time thank you.
Demand stringent background and mental health checks on your politicians.
Kip42
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Kip42 »

silencertalk wrote:ChuckHawks, who I often don't agree with, said that a 30-06 is the #1 most popular with guides, and 300 WM the second.

Know what? The bear is not really going to feel the difference between 30-06 bolt action and a 180 grain 308 from a SCAR-17S rife. Why not carry something light that fires faster?
My problem with bolt actions is at close range they are hard to get multi shots off and I would prefer a marlin lever gun for close and fast shots.
weaponsloader
Silent But Deadly

Post by weaponsloader »

Hush wrote:I didn't read the article but I'll speak from experience, if its a griz I'll shoot till I'm empty and then beat it with my rifle if its still moving and I have a fighting chance.
Black bear can be scared off with shouting and swearing as long as any cubs are not with it.
So if there is a choice between bear spray and a firearm I'll take the firearm every time thank you.
I disagree with you. This is coming from a guy who deals with bears weekly on the fishing streams here. Grizzly/Brown bears generally will bluff charge unless you surprise them, threaten their young or food. This scared me shitless the first time, but they will usually leave you alone. More people are seriously hurt by black bears here than grizzlys. If a black bear charges you, he is looking for a food source so it is recommended you fight back with all you have.
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill every person you meet."
weaponsloader
Silent But Deadly

Post by weaponsloader »

CDAT wrote:I have been told that the best way to deal with a bear is fire your first shot at the ground or whatever but not the bear. This (the boom) gets them to rear up, then you empty your weapon in to there pelvic area to try and take it out. This will keep the bear from being able to get to you. but does not always kill it.
This is complete horseshit
stevejobs
Silent But Deadly

Post by stevejobs »

The biggest reliable gun you can carry, and shoot to kill the instance you identify a threat. Anything else is baloney.
jcsparky
Silent Operator

Post by jcsparky »

Bear Spray.. Its good stuff..

its called "BAIT"
HALO, G5, OBIID, SF762K, AACSDN6
weaponsloader
Silent But Deadly

Post by weaponsloader »

stevejobs wrote:The biggest reliable gun you can carry, and shoot to kill the instance you identify a threat. Anything else is baloney.
Combine this with a little common sense and you'll be fine
jcsparky
Silent Operator

Post by jcsparky »

yea I've never turned around to get my "bear spay" I have stopped and double check, that at LEAST the .44 and ammo are on board. specially fishing..

I watched some tourist taking pics of a brownie on Kodiak. The bear was feasting on the fresh steer he had downed. The couple was getting closer and closer, the bear was wooofin at them looking over his shoulder, then had enough Picked up the steer in his mouth and walked off with it..

I never once thought of bear spay, i did unsnap the 44 and waited.

Not sure what those 2 were thinking..
YES a lil common sense, just a LIL. and a Large Pistol/ something. most folks will be fine
HALO, G5, OBIID, SF762K, AACSDN6
libertyman777
Silent But Deadly

Post by libertyman777 »

I believe I'd take the advice of the gentlemen from Alaska.
Remember............ You're Special, Unique, One of a Kind.............Just like everyone else.................
pneumagger
Silent But Deadly

Post by pneumagger »

silencertalk wrote:http://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/animal ... ear-attack

Is it true firearms are not a good option for bear defense?
Whatever I was hunting with (Ohio doesn't allow rifles for most game)... I'd Ideally like to have a Glock 20 with some nasty buffalo bore ammo in the stack.
I reject your truths and substitute my own realities
Flex01

Post by Flex01 »

The mace only makes me hornier......Yea I would want a gun
So, about my sammich....