What's your SHTF rifle and/or pistol?

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

boatbiologist
Elite Member

Post by boatbiologist »

SHTF around the ranch- an M4 type rifle. I want people to recognize it for what it is (EBR) and stay well clear. I can comfortably carry 7 loaded mags to get me to lots more ammo and fresh mags at home if needed. But the point is not to need. I would probably leave the suppressor on so I don't damage my hearing- I will need it at night.

Say I need to leave home a good distance for health reasons like a nuke goes off in DC. I would probably go with the PS90 and FiveseveN combo. Gripe all you want about the effectiveness of 5.7x28 ammo but 400 rounds weighs next to nothing and carries easily in loaded mags. Both guns are very light, run clean and compact. Both useful tools to get me 200 miles to Appalachian safety where the pop density is low enough to be polite in crisis.

All my other choices are much more cumbersome. I don't see myself carrying 7.62 battle packs much further than from the house to the truck. Same goes for 5.56 battle packs.

Of course, once I have used up all the 5.7 ammo I have, I will probably won't be able to resupply. Then the joke is on me and I will be looking for an AR, mini14, FAL, M1A, CETME or some other rifle in a popluar caliber that should have made it into the back of my truck before I bugged out.
B-Mac

Post by B-Mac »

kbs2244 wrote:It is not a gun or even a knife.
But it works real well and isn’t illegal in any city I have been in yet.
And it dosn't scare the wife or kids.
It is a plastic squeeze bottle full of ammonia.
Like you wash windows with.
Think of a truck stop style catsup bottle.
But I prefer a flat salad dressing bottle with a flip open lid.
I have seen it stop a charging Husky/Shepard mix.
And I put a purse snatcher to his knees on a subway platform with a squirt to his shirt front. It is hard to run when you cannot breathe.
The cop only smiled a bit when I told him I carried it because I like to have a clean windshield.

You may live but you are gonna be one hungry son of a bitch
wesnmench

Post by wesnmench »

pack some s--t and get to the police station. hopefully the 2nd ammendment stayd true if not i would find a good lake or river and eat allot of fish.
DoctorSolo
Silent But Deadly

Post by DoctorSolo »

Just one gun? My AR-15(set up light-carbine, no quad rail, flat top, ACOG) and all the 20 round mags I can carry. Yes, 20. They make the rifle so much easier to wield, carry, and shoot it's just silly. Still don't have to reload as often as any 9mm pistol. It's light, handy(not as handy as a 1911-but) and effective...well, it beats any pistol...Ammo is very size efficient and works on deer, antelope, wabbits, commies...not as many of them in colorado springs though...commies, I mean...
Bulwyeth
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bulwyeth »

Depends on situation. Where I am at, and where I am going.

Rifle: Either a FAL or my Bushy.

Pistol: Glock 21 0r 17

Shotgun: Mossberg 590

Game getter: Ruger 10/22 and Walther P-22
Nothing says "Obey Me" like a bloody head on a fence post.

Stewie Griffin

SWR Spectre
SWR Trident
SWR HEMS-2
Yankee Hill Phantom 5.56 SS
Rifleshooter2

Post by Rifleshooter2 »

Both me and my son (13) have SHTF weapons

Me FN/FAL Carbine and G19
Son AR15 (M16A1 configuration, nice and light and he shoots it well) and Walther P22

In a few year I'll upgrade him to an M4 and G19 also

Andy
Black
Silent But Deadly

Post by Black »

AR15 w/ YHM Phantom (.22LR conversion kit to hunt small game if I had to go to the hills)
Sig P250
Last edited by Black on Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
midcountygunshop
Silent Operator

Post by midcountygunshop »

Glock 21SF, 11.5" M16 with eotech light n laser, Uzi smg or M11 with can. Have the sealed cans of 9mm n 223 ready, as well as plenty other JIC ammo. If had room n time to take more - Mossberg mariner, PTR91 or FAL, 92AF with can, AK folder, and PSL rifle.
badcatbigbat
Silent Operator

Post by badcatbigbat »

From closest distance first, I will start off with my Emerson knife, Glock 19, Mossberg 500A/Uzi 9 mm (full auto), M-4 carbine all the way up to Remington 700 in 300 win mag. I think that should cover most spectrums.
A citizen noted the hammer back on the 1911 carried in the waist band by Charlie Miller, Texas Ranger. The Citizen asks, "Isn't That Dangerous?" Charley replied, " I wouldn't carry the son of a bitch if it wasn't dangerous."
Buzduk
Silent But Deadly

Post by Buzduk »

In a true SHTF situation I agree with Thunderhole. You have to take some thing with you like .223, 308, or 30-30 so ammo will be readily available. A good side arm in 9mm, .45. I love my .40 and would take it but it might not be as easy to find ammo as the 9mm and 45. That being said you have to have a good shotgun, plent of buck and some slugs for good measure. All this with a good bug out bag and you are looking pretty good.
Matt
Form4
01 FFL / 03 SOT
(631) 721-6201
http://form4.org/
Buzduk
Silent But Deadly

Bulwyeth

Post by Buzduk »

Bulwyeth. That is some funny s--t! LOL
Calling an Illegal Immigrant an "Un-documented Worker" is like calling a Drug Dealer a "Un-licensed Pharmacist
Matt
Form4
01 FFL / 03 SOT
(631) 721-6201
http://form4.org/
studly do-right
Senior Silent Operator

Post by studly do-right »

Buzduk wrote:In a true SHTF situation I agree with Thunderhole. You have to take some thing with you like .223, 308, or 30-30 so ammo will be readily available. A good side arm in 9mm, .45. I love my .40 and would take it but it might not be as easy to find ammo as the 9mm and 45. That being said you have to have a good shotgun, plent of buck and some slugs for good measure. All this with a good bug out bag and you are looking pretty good.
Thank you for finally brining some sense into this. Take what you're comfortable with and be sure it uses some common ammo.

Side note: I don't think that .40 S&W is a bad idea at all. Look what happened when ammo prices started to rise. 9mm and .45 sold out and stayed elusive, while the .40 was still somewhat available. So, there may be a chance that stores will still have some to loot.
Do not expose to excessive heat, vacuum, blunt trauma, immersion in liquids, disintegration, reintegration, hypersleep, humiliation, sorrow, or harsh language?
Selectedmarksman
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by Selectedmarksman »

I think a good rule of thumb is to own and train with what 'they' use. That ensures plenty of availability of spare parts and ammo. It's just a matter of who 'them' is to you. :P
I've got Honey Badger Fever.
*Add this to your sig if you've got the fever, too!
MD3C
Silent Operator

AK/226

Post by MD3C »

I keep one or both in the truck when I'm at home.
If I'm going to someplace that I think the truck will vanish, or broken into, I just have what I have on me. Usually a 1911.
Once that I get a can for an M14 type, it'll be my first option to run with.
M
USE OF DEADLY FORCE AUTHORIZED
ctdonath
Silent But Deadly

Post by ctdonath »

Someone observed that come SHTF the issue turns around: have ammo for which you can buy guns - when someone runs out of ammo you can buy the gun cheap.
John in AR

Post by John in AR »

ctdonath wrote:Full-blown SHTF? .308 Steyr Scout. It will do whatever needs doin'. Other guns will do specific tasks better, but none will do better on average.
That's hard to argue with, at least rifle-wise. Mine's not a Steyr; I had a Ching-Ring scout mount milled onto a Weatherby Lightweight Carbine in .308 and added a redfield scout scope, and it's a very versatile little rifle.

To the original question, I'd be curious about the definition of 'shtf'. Are we talking about Katrina, Red Dawn, The Postman or Mad Max?

My main carry gun is a G19 and that would serve fine imo for most situations. But given a full-on 'Postman' or 'Daniel Boone' scenario, I'd change to a seemingly odd choice - my ruger revolver in .454, with barrel shortened down to 5 inches. The caliber gives power-ranges anywhere from 250 ft/lbs to 2,000 ft/lbs; good for anything from rabbit to elk, if I do my part, and does it with no adapters, inserts, or add-on pieces. Being a revolver, it lends itself to re-using & reloading the brass, which could be a real benefit in a Daniel Boone type situation. And while it's not as fast to reload as an auto, speedloaders make it as quick as any other DA revolver is. It's even made of a rest-resistant alloy, so that's another plus as a long-term homestead/survival gun. May seem an 'out there' choice, but it's my primary woods gun even now, and seems like it has a lot going for it in a really long-term survival situation.

{edit - pics added}
Image Image Image
DirtySaL

Post by DirtySaL »

I'm taking it all!!!
I will definitely be loading up at the house if SHTF.It'd be better to have enough m4's to outfit a squad, plus ammo,food,etc

I just hope my truck will run after the EMP(how do you get it running if it's fried anyhow?)

I need to get more gas,and some binoculars/spotting scope too

does this M4 go with my boots? <----me getting ready when SHTF :P
tkdmaster

Post by tkdmaster »

Well for SHTF Rifle XCR-L 5.56 11.5 SBR and a 6.8 16" conversion kit with ML3 plus 3x mag to have both CQB and some what of SPR or DMS capabilities, side arm SF 1911 operator, CIRAS PPE and a full combat load (7 5.56 and 3 .45 plus 2 6.8 loaded mags).

Wife (former LEO) very handy with her Moss 500 cruiser with breaching bbl and Knoxx SpecOps Stock with AP micro and XDM .45 for her side arm, Lvl 3 body armor with Lvl 4 insert Sapi's
To become stronger one has to face a stronger opponent....
hank2222
Senior Silent Operator

Post by hank2222 »

i have to say a 1911 pistol with extras mag for me and the miss and a shotgun for the drive home if things got bad along the way ,,
at the ranch m 1a scout rifles with ebr stocks and eo-tech red-dot scopes along with a sling and a foregrip unit along with a surefire scout flashlight set up for basic home defense of the ranch cabin ..
sniper134spd

Post by sniper134spd »

MP5SD
DPMS .308 in M4 config.
Sig 220R
Sig Mosquito w/ AAC Pilot
ThePatriot
Silent But Deadly

Post by ThePatriot »

Glock 17 w/ 33 round mag (suppressed)
AR15
Saiga 12 w/ plenty of 10 round AGP's
"With a girl, there's a lot left in the girl's body without a head. Of course, the personality is gone."

-Edmund Kemper
TotenFleisch

Post by TotenFleisch »

No one has LWRC rifles?! I am surprised at that on a high class forum like this.

M6A3 w/ su231-peq optic
MP5
USP 45 Tactical

yugo m70ab2 as backup
Diomed
Silent But Deadly

Post by Diomed »

TotenFleisch wrote:No one has LWRC rifles?! I am surprised at that on a high class forum like this.
They're around, Arevalo has one for sure.

I dunno about "high class", though...
TotenFleisch

Post by TotenFleisch »

Diomed wrote:
I dunno about "high class", though...
you don't think the forum is high class, or don't think lwrc is? I was talking about this forum being HC. if you doubt that, go over to whenSHTF.com. someone posts about an SKS and they freak out LOL ;)

My m6a3 is the most expensive gun I own, so for me it is upper-class. I know some of you have auto sears, MG's, etc, so my high most likely isn't too impressive to your standards. maybe someday I can afford an Flemming Hk auto sear, but right now it just isn't gonna happen :(
Diomed
Silent But Deadly

Post by Diomed »

TotenFleisch wrote:you don't think the forum is high class, or don't think lwrc is?
The forum, I got no beef with LWRC. We are a motley crew, we are...